Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2165cc under way
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: 2165cc under way Reply with quote

If anybody has any experience with any of these two motors, I would love to hear the details of them. Heads, cams, .......I'm thinking of these two now with DRD L5 heads and Engle 120 with 1.25 rockers and dual weber 44's.

Last edited by fivelugshortaxle on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buellistic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert here, but most people will tell you to use larger valves than the DRD L3 heads have for that displacement.

And, as a logical exercise, lets see what the % displacement difference is.

If I did the math right, it's about a 4 percent increase in displacement using the larger one, same stroke. A very small difference. If there's no price difference to you, then get the bigger one. If you can save $100 or more going smaller, I would go smaller and put the saved money toward the intake system (from carbs down to combustion chambers).

That's about the extent of my knowledge though. Never built a stroker myself, but for my 1776 people were suggesting the DRD L3 heads, so I would assume that they're gonna be a little too small for you.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB Performance Los Panchito heads http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794 are around the same price and have more HP potential - 160 according to CB advertising. Anyway thats the head I selected for my 2110. They have 40x35.5 valves and flow 174 CFM. I'm also using dual 44mm (Empi HPMX) carbs. With the 53cc head chamber on those DRD heads you'll have a bit of problem maintaining a decent deck clearance and dialing in your compression ratio. The CB heads have a 60cc head chamber.

If you go with those DRD heads consider switching to 40mm carbs.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nut...that's the kind of answer I was looking for.....then I'm staying with the Los Panchito heads and going with the 74x94 motor and not the 78x94....I think that the 74 crank will help out with bottom end torque and be a good combo with those heads....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....should be around 8.8:1 CR with those heads from CB and a deck height of 0.040....perfect for the Engle 120 and 1.25 rockers
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the 78 will produce more torque, and running B pistons will be easier to assemble requiring less work to get the bottom end sorted

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use 94 b-pistons with the 78 stroke if the case is decked .060".
If it is not decked .060" then you might have .120 deck.......

Nothing wrong with the 74 stroke and a-pistons combo either, bigger is not always better
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info Modok and Ol nut.....that's the kind of info I've been looking for and so far you two as well as RockCrusher are the only ones to make any sense about any of my hundred posts.......think outside the box.....I feel like I should send you three a check or something for what I've gotten from yall...................as you can see I've gone back to my motor that I wanted from the beginning because of the simplicity of the build and still decent return in power.............thanks guys....for all of the information and for being gentleman about some of my ignorant posts
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
You can use 94 b-pistons with the 78 stroke if the case is decked .060".
If it is not decked .060" then you might have .120 deck.......

Nothing wrong with the 74 stroke and a-pistons combo either, bigger is not always better

Exactly the answer I was looking for..... thanks!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem!
Now you have to build it and tell us how it runs Very Happy
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe your best choice for a street engine would be the 82X90.5=2110 Your choce of the Los Panchito heads, W-120/1.25, 44 IDF's would get you 130-140 HP and would be a lot eaiser to assemble with less hassle then any 74 stroke engine.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I still believe your best choice for a street engine would be the 82X90.5=2110 Your choce of the Los Panchito heads, W-120/1.25, 44 IDF's would get you 130-140 HP and would be a lot eaiser to assemble with less hassle then any 74 stroke engine.

You've very nearly described my work in process - I'm using a different cam (CB Eagle 2242) - with KEP 1700# clutch - and Empi 44mm HPMX carbs from ACE.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

What kind of hassle will I run into?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 74 or 76 cranks you will have to cut the cylinders or get get custom spacers, buy shorter or longer rods and also get custom cut to length push rods. Shimming also makes the engine wider making it harder to get into the engine compartment and the engine tin will have gaps and won't fit. "B" pistons are made for 82mm cranks with stock length rods and will fit perfectly and you may not need to worry about shimming or cutting push rods. The engine will not be an wider then stock and all the cooling tin will fit correctly.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
With 74 or 76 cranks you will have to cut the cylinders or get get custom spacers, buy shorter or longer rods and also get custom cut to length push rods. Shimming also makes the engine wider making it harder to get into the engine compartment and the engine tin will have gaps and won't fit. "B" pistons are made for 82mm cranks with stock length rods and will fit perfectly and you may not need to worry about shimming or cutting push rods. The engine will not be an wider then stock and all the cooling tin will fit correctly.

Thanks!.......crap.........okay then.......flip flop and go with 82x94...might as well go big! Now......will the CB Los Panchito heads not be enough for this size motor with 120 cam and 1.25 rockers? Dual 44's?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or will the 78 mm crank be easy to set up, also?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build whatever you want but with your choice of the Los Panchito heads, W-120 cam/1.25 rockers and dual 44 IDF's I'm still gonna reccommend building a 2110. I'll step aside and let others give their opinion.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Build whatever you want but with your choice of the Los Panchito heads, W-120 cam/1.25 rockers and dual 44 IDF's I'm still gonna reccommend building a 2110. I'll step aside and let others give their opinion.

Thanks for the advice.....I'll just see what happens....ordering all the short block parts at the end of the month and I may go with the bigger motor....we'll see
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right........just wanting a quick little street motor that will be fun to drive with a good bit of torque..........gonna go with the 2054 anyway and hope that the heads from CB were the right choice....from what the guy at CB told me, they should be perfect with the 120 cam and 1.25rockers and dual 44's with the 2054 motor...somewhere around 135-145HP and torque around the same numerals if not a bit higher .... sound right to you?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like I said, 78 stroke and stock rods and 94 b pistons(35mm pin height)
should put you right at approx .060 deck, provided your case is decked down to 98.5mm from center(stock is 100mm). THis SHOULD be common practice when modding a case for 94 jugs, but not everybody does it, that is why I warned you about it.
This makes the engine stock width.

82 stroke with b pistons will result in the engine being .160" wider than stock
74 stroke with a pistons will result in .200" wider than stock

not a big difference if you ask me
all this assumes stock length rods

Dave may not be aware that 94 b pistons have 35mm pin height and 114mm cylinder length, because he does not get friendly with 94's Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 62

Jump to: