Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify the Buggy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerBEH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Please help! This buggy has the tub reinforcement, front liscense plate area and two indented areas under the rear seat. It doesn't have the extra dash area on the passenger side like a rascal. The only ones I've seen that look close are giterbugs. Thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RangerBEH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Bump! Any help would be greatly appreciated
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

You probably tried this:

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/

Your front hood is very close to mine:

But the body isn't. Still don't know what mine is either.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RangerBEH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Thanks ydbd, I think I've narrowed it down to a sears rascal and a Kellson sandpiper roadster sp1. It gets more confusing when you google the pictures because I think many owners don't really know what they have. So when I search a patilicar model 10 different body styles come up. I'll keep looking but I'm just guessing it's an early rascal unless I find something more concrete.
SCIV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

New to the site, first VW. I was a sucker for this beauty. Any help is greatly appreciated.
S.C.

Teameames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Just bought this dune buggy and need help identifying body mfg. Have not seen a hood similar other buggies. Any help would be appreciated

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Spatz
Teameames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Genom thank you for the info on the Spatz....you have a good eye and know your Dune Buggies, your Awesome!!!
steveo_32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Any idea?
Type 3 dash, think fiberglass

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Anyone like to take a stab at this. At first I thought it was a California Clipper, but the rear end is different. Then I thought it was a Sand Winder. It has most of the characteristics, but the places I've circled don't match the Sand Winder.
Any ideas???

kentga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

RangerBEH wrote:
Thanks ydbd, I think I've narrowed it down to a sears rascal and a Kellson sandpiper roadster sp1. It gets more confusing when you google the pictures because I think many owners don't really know what they have. So when I search a patilicar model 10 different body styles come up. I'll keep looking but I'm just guessing it's an early rascal unless I find something more concrete.

RagerBEH - Not sure if you've nailed down your body type yet, but I gotta say your body looks like a dupe of my buggy. The only difference I see is what you mentioned up above, the radio hump to the right of the instrument cluster. Your cluster pod is exactly like mine - consistent sizes, both notched larger on the left to fit the speedo.

At first, I think it was Glenn who was building a Kellison Sandpiper, and I was sure I'd found the right model. Eventually, I settled on it being a Sears Rascal - not sure what sold me. I found the 1969 Sears and Roebuck catalog page that showed the Rascal, and earlier had found the Sandpiper's sales brochure. They're not on this laptop, but if you want them I'll dig them out and post em. There's probably someone out there that can prove me wrong/right, and I surely do hope they speak up... but for now, I'm comfortable with owning a '69 Rascal.

No vin-tag, and she's been painted about 5x times now, but she's mine. And she's done. Well almost. I'll upload some more body shots to my gallery if you'd like.

My instrument cluster:
RangerBEH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Thanks kentga, the sears rascal is what I keep coming back to also even though the under seat area isn't right. Mine has the battery box and a recessed area on the other side. I was told it could have been a very early one as everything even the metal dash reinforcement is an exact early Manx copy. I guess it makes sense everyone would make their own modifications to the molds overtime to cheapen production and fix problems. I really wish I knew for sure and had a data tag just for the history but in the end I have a great buggy. Hoping to take it out for its first drive in the next week or so.
buck4eighty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this one? Reply with quote

tcool78 wrote:
spudnickel wrote:
An elderly man is selling this and didn't have a whole lot of info on it. My internet is down so it's hard to look through a bunch of pages on a smart phone on here to find more info. Hoping someone out there can help me out. Thanks

I have the same body in purple flake. Id love to find out what it is!

I have just found something very similar this week. I have been all over the internet trying to find info on the manufacture....nothing in the Dune Buggy registry...lots of blank photos there. New to the buggy scene....but not VWs

Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Strange. The hood is has aspects of both the Spatz and Safari Trail.
Captmimo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what type of buggy this ? I tried looking at all the pics first on the link provided with no luck . Starting to feel like I have the only one in the world lol. I'm leaning toward Kellison but the man I got it from believed it to be a 1980. Sure could use a hand. Oh, any idea where I would find vin number on frame or glass body? Like I said real greenhorn here but I fully intend to restore this one from the frame up with my 9 year old daughter. Thanks guys. My names Mike.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

I think you have a Manx Style body with a different hood than what came on it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Captmimo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Lol yes it does atm. It will have new life soon Smile. Provided I can figure out what it is get it legalized and get the right hood lol. Thanks for your opinion on type though. I'm hoping your right but hopefully an expert will jump on here and do the whole. " See here young man I help build that buggy and it's this, that, this, that and unmistakably such and such " roflmao then I'll know what I got lol
herrkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but I have one of those. It's a Linnemann.

I have seen a small number of these over the years. In the early 1990's I picked one up myself and I still have it. In recent years there have been one or two that showed up in the Cincinnati VW Club's annual show.

In the late 1980's a friend of mine rebuilt one. He did some research while he was working on his buggy. At the time, there was an off-road center around Harrison Avenue in Cleves Ohio where an employee had one. This information comes from that employee. I don't know how accurate his information was but this is what my friend was told. It was built by a company called Linnemann which was alleged to be located somewhere in south west Ohio. He was also told it was copied off another buggy. At the time he was told it was copied off a Manx but I have come to believe it was probably copied from a Sand Shark or another Sand Shark copy.

The Linnemann has a one-piece body. The Gas tank mounts to the bottom of the body under the hood area and can only be serviced by taking the body off. The dash is also part of the body and has a somewhat unique shape. Most of the Linnemanns I have seen had the hard top. So far, all of those which had the hard top also had the original arched windshield posts. I do not know if these buggies were commissioned by someone else or if Linnemenn decided he just wanted to build a few fiberglass buggies. I have never seen an id plate or logo on one. Both mine and the one my friend had came with side curtains. The orange one in the original post is the first one I have seen with a flip up tail and gauge pod on the hood.

I will see if I can dig up some pictures of either mine or my friends.

ol puddin head wrote:
anybody recognize this one i just traded for?

Last edited by herrkafer on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
herrkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Ah, found a few pics of my Linnemann project.

[/url]
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

bugmanNDsun wrote:
Koyote?

I don't know what this is but it's a great looking body. Whoever built it went through a lot of trouble grafting in the light mounting areas. Usually the builders just left it up to the buyer to install whatever lights they wanted to, this is more detailed and finished. Great find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 32

Jump to: