Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bike Rack Suggestions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmyester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Have you used it? Do you have any options to share? Thanks!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
lmyester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I own the 1UP USA hitch rack. I think it's the nicest hitch rack out there. Very high quality, no plastic pieces, and very simple to use. I have the 2 bike version, but it can be added to so that it can carry up to 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

paulchen rack that came on the van, made it work for two all mountain bikes, but is only the basic rack with no attachments. With the bikes tied down, can't pop the top.
Anyone have Any leads on paulchen accessories?
ecsnsmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the 1UP USA rack. Have a double mounted to our rear hitch and it's unbeatable. It's also beautifully machined and put together. I've gotten a ton of compliments on it as well as hauled our bikes thousands of problem-free miles. Super secure, super rad.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like that quick rack.

My 12 year old Yakima swing away has always been great. Easy to use, mount and swing allows opening of hatches on VW, gl450 and my old suburban with barn doors. Made well, with no signs of failure after years of getting beat on.

Now I find that more modern mountain bicycles with top tubes moved toward the down tube won't allow the rack to get between. My kids bike is fine, so small I can mount up using down tube instead.

Wheel mount might be better option.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruck wrote:
[img]

Their site has some interesting accessories. I don't know if they ship to the US, though.

https://paulchensystem.net/products/en/bike-carrier/volkswagen/bus-t3.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youderian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

It's not the cheapest option out there and isn't ideal if you're doing crazy off-roading (due to angle of departure issues) but the NV2 from Kuat is a pretty amazing rack.

Built like a tank, life time warranty, has an integrated bike stand and locks, and makes for very easy loading and unloading without having to remove wheels.

It's one of the best accessories I've bought so far for my van:

http://kuatracks.com/products/hitch/the-nv/
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

Scored a basically new 1up rack on craigslist the other week for a couple hundred bucks off Cool . I've used many Yakima, Saris, and Thule bike racks over the years, and used to work in the outdoor industry and have played with MANY racks over the years.

The 1up easily beats them all. Some unique pro's compared to most racks:

-Insertion depth into receiver is adjustable, not fixed with a single thru bolt location like many other racks. Allows for rack to be tucked up close to your bumper for easier parallel parking and improved departure angle.

-Racks mount on a 15 degree upslope, improving departure angle again and greatly reducing handlebar to saddle interference between bikes.

-ROCK SOLID. ZERO PLAY. I would be able to hear my Yakima rack rock forward every time I braked when it was stowed away in its vertical position, drove me crazy. This way tolerances do not expand over time.

-Very Vanagon friendly. I have a custom hitch made that is a pretty unique height compared to the ready made ones out there, but the spacing between the racks matches perfectly with my taillights when stowed vertically, so it doesn't cover my taillights!

-Made in USA.

-All individual components can be easily dissembled and replaced. This is huge! Each piece is machined aluminum. No plastic practically anywhere.

Yes, it's pricey as ****. If you ride your bike twice a month, probably not worth it. If you ride a bike every single day and live/breathe cycling, save up and keep this rack for the next 20-30 years.
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY backseat bike rack Reply with quote

highsierra wrote:
I'll throw my hat in the ring here with this DIY backseat bike rack. Construction consists of a piece of wood, some screws and a couple of cheap fork mounts. The Fork-Up are the only spendy bit. Total build time approx. 5 minutes.

Pretty handy, cheap and simple to build. The Fork-Up adaptors make it easy to accommodate various front axles and adjust so handlebars play nice together. Another slick tip is to attach a "brake blocker/travel chip" to the rack to combat accidental brake lever pulls while travelling. You hydro disc brake folks know what I'm talking about. PIA avoided Smile

Its not perfect but works well for me. If you want to get fancy you can loosen the stem clamp bolts, turn the handle bars 90 degrees while travelling to create more living space. Obviously, if your bike is real dirty and/or your interior is real clean this may not be right for you.

So I got really motivated by this and built a similar set up - I found one major problem for me - when my bike was set up on the board similar to what this one looks like - i.e. bike toward one side - there was a serious tendency for the fork to turn and the board to walk a little then the bike would wind up leaning against the stove cabinet side (or the back tire at least). I righted it a few times and driving back roads in the adirondacks just kept making it walk. If you bungee from the bars on either side back around the seatpost you can minimize the twist a little, but I've not found a great solution to this yet. I also figured that the bike would go in better in reverse orientation with the board on the ground right behind the driver and passenger seats - not really.

My wife and I bought road bikes for each other for our anniversary - she distrusted the old Allen brand bike rack we had and since we were dropping some major cash for this I took the 10% off on accessories the shop was giving with the bike to pick up a Thule 3 bike rack that Thule says will fit all our cars (Westy, Chrysler Town&Country, Honda Civic). It is this one:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-pro-9002pro-_-1685474

My buddy has the hitch mount version of the this rack, and I liked the way it held bikes well apart. This rack has a few nice features -

--it locks to the vehicle
-- it has a lame little lock wire to lock the last bike onto the rack, preventing removal of any bikes - I'd not trust this really.
-- adjusts easily to fit on back of car and same setting for our minivan and the Vanagon.
-- holder arms can fold down when not being used.

Other observations -
-- a nice thick cable can be run through the tow loop - left or right - on back under bumper and up through frames of bikes - this is how I plan to secure bikes to the van if I'm going to be out of line of sight for more than a minute.
-- have not checked to see if top will pop with bikes on, but I think it will likely work fine.
-- bikes do ride high on back, which is fine.
-- my first try putting two on and I tried the inner-most set up - my pedal made contact with back hatch so I bailed on using that position - need to mess around with ways to control this a bit more.

-- finally, my one complaint for this style of Thule rack is they have a piece that attaches to the rack that is meant to act as a brace to the seat post tube of the bike and keep the bikes from swaying. This is good and works, however, they are not attached so positively to the rack - click in and easily tend to lift or fall out. To make sure they did not fall out while driving I have used the attached rubber tensioners to connect this piece to the rack itself when they are not being used to hold a bike - this way they won't rattle off on the road someplace.

As others have pointed out - you could carry a trasharoo on the thing.

I also like the way the Thule I chose distributes the weight well on back of the hatch instead of four more isolated points.

Finally, another advantage is that this is independent of top racks so can take bikes or kayaks or both.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

what is the cheapest, lightest bike rack that will mount to the rear hatch of a vanagon AND a Sube Forester?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

Hollywood Racks, I would think. They're simple, strong, and well-regarded:

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/trunk-racks/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruck wrote:

paulchen rack that came on the van, made it work for two all mountain bikes, but is only the basic rack with no attachments. With the bikes tied down, can't pop the top.

Pretty nice rigs you got there! I just picked up a sweet deal on a used Giant Reign 1 advanced, first carbon bike... now just need the right van to haul her
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
what is the cheapest, lightest bike rack that will mount to the rear hatch of a vanagon AND a Sube Forester?

In addition to the Hollywood mentioned by joetiger, racks from Graber and Allen are (mostly) universal and are very affordable. Fitting these only gets tricky when you must deal with a trunklid spoiler or some odd trunk opening configuration. Your local bike shop probably has a couple of different racks under $50 that will work.
John DVA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

Fiamma bike racks carry two bikes and the Vanagon and Eurovan bike racks can be outfitted to carry four. They strap to the hatch and the hatch can be opened without removing the carrier or bikes. They ship from Fiamma, in Orlando, FL., and can ship within North America.

If you'd like to order one, email me before ordering online for specific shipping costs and a discounted price.

Feel free to ask if you have any Fiamma related questions.

http://discountvanaccessories.com/products/fiamma-vanagon-bike-carrier
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Hollywood Racks, I would think. They're simple, strong, and well-regarded:

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/trunk-racks/

This is what I got while I researched getting a "real" hitch mounted rack. I'm still using it a couple years later. The straps are a bit of a pain, but I've gotten used to them, and the locking issue I solved with a long cable to the bumper. I got lazy traveling in CO mtn towns where nobody locked their bikes. Especially Crested Butte, where I saw a Specialized S-Works unlocked on the street. I felt safe since everybody into bikes was there with one, all better than mine. Not too many people into aluminum hardtails! When I got back to the city, I had to retrain myself.

I like that inside back seat mount idea though.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmyester wrote:
Yes. I own the 1UP USA hitch rack. I think it's the nicest hitch rack out there. Very high quality, no plastic pieces, and very simple to use. I have the 2 bike version, but it can be added to so that it can carry up to 4.

Thanks for the review. I agree that 1UP racks are exceptionally well made. I eventually bought two and mounted them vertically on swingouts. Four years later they've held up very well.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

welded cross bars to the aluminess box and added two one up racks. works great. sprinter wanna be set up Smile
hellvetica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

1UP hands down. The 1UP will last forever. Cheap racks are what you pay for.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Rack Suggestions? Reply with quote

Petition to change thread title to 1up bike rack pics.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: