Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "Skunk Ape's" Maiden Voyage for my bachelor pa
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenoVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: The "Skunk Ape's" Maiden Voyage for my bachelor pa Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is my photo taken Friday before we set sail for Wall Canyon Reservoir outside of Gerlach, NV for my bachelor party. A weekend of whiskey, fishing, and friends...... I have been working on her since November and has been "can't sleep at night excited" for months. Well..... on the final dirt road stretch to our final destination I scraped the bottom rear end of the van pretty hard. And before I knew it..... I had lost all power. It was a mixture of too much weight on the van, too much drink in my belly, and going a smudge too fast!

I was super sad Crying or Very sad instantly knowing what had happened as I checked the oil and she was bone dry! Anyways been on this great site for a couple months now and really enjoy everyone here! I am looking forward to contacting mr tencent here after things calm down a little (wedding next weekend, honeymoon next month, more friends weddings etc etc).

Lastly here are a few photos of my van which has the Line X on the complete exterior minus the pop top. With all the rust, dings and rough spots this was the best solution to keeping costs down while giving her a make over.

1986 2WD Weekender
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gun rack RenoVanMan, and congrats on your nuptials. I bet that top gets hot in NV?

Sorry to hear about your bottoming out. I would recommend a new springs lift kit and some larger wheels to gain some clearance and adaptability.

Good luck.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RenoVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
Nice gun rack RenoVanMan, and congrats on your nuptials. I bet that top gets hot in NV?

Sorry to hear about your bottoming out. I would recommend a new springs lift kit and some larger wheels to gain some clearance and adaptability.

Good luck.

The top doesn't get hot......... it gets blistering hot Twisted Evil I bought a canvas tarp just to cover the pop top. I have been reading up on lifting it and I think a skid plate needs to be added on my "to do" list.

Thanks..... I am pretty excited.

1986 2WD Weekender
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly happened to cause the loss of oil? Did you punch a hole in the crankcase?
'96 BMW R1100GS
RenoVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well......... I climbed under my van this afternoon and found out that a rock hit the oil filter and put a hole in it. So I changed the oil filter, put new oil in it..... and she fired up! But still leaking oil from somewhere above where the oil filter is. I am hoping it isn't a big of a crisis as first thought....... but not getting my hopes up yet as there is still a ton of oil pissing out the bottom. FINGERS CROSSED Confused And my mechanic skills/engine intelligence is pretty green..... So hoping that after my wedding I can figure it out!!!!

It's weird how closely attached that my human emotions are to my van. If the "SKUNK APE" is in distress my life is in shambles Sad . If she is running smoothly my life is perfect Very Happy

1986 2WD Weekender
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that rig is a beast! Any suspension mods to wrangle in all that weight at the bumpers?
RenoVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not yet........ I have been eyeing those bilstein shocks and possibly a spring lift. That Line X alone added 300lbs...... then the heavy duty bumpers added some weight, the roof rack, all the luggage, etc. Maybe I tried to get the carriage before the horse haha

1986 2WD Weekender
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenoVanMan wrote:
That Line X alone added 300lbs......

This is why I don't like bed lining any part of the body of the van. Too heavy.

Good luck getting everything back together and congratulations on the marriage. Hopefully she is as into the van as you are, nice escape pod.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly how you feel about the attachment. I feel exactly the same. I can't wait for my high!

Congrats on your wedding, keep us posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RenoVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be a smudge high on the weight of the Line X. They say about .75lbs/sqft. But they also sprayed the wheel wells. But compared to what a body shop would have cost to what my sanding, grinding, bondo and then Line X, it was $1000's cheaper!

1986 2WD Weekender
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: