Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

Really a proper design for one of the only true bolt-on performance choices out there for a Vanagon.

Few questions:
1. There have been a few claim that the cat-muffler-tailpipe assembly is not sitting horizontal or in alignment with the line of the chassis, body, bumper etc. Have there been any revisions to hardware to correct this or any other issue since it's introduction.

2. Is the total system lighter in weight than the total stock system? Any figures available?

3. Most people report performance gains…how about improvements in fuel mileage or range?

4. Anyone have experience with this exhaust system fit and a euro frame mounted trailer hitch?

Would like to get in line for a 10C 2.2 WBXer but that looks like a bit of a wait, so I would like to go forward with this header system for a little performance help.
jcolbyc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
Really a proper design for one of the only true bolt-on performance choices out there for a Vanagon.

Few questions:
1. There have been a few claim that the cat-muffler-tailpipe assembly is not sitting horizontal or in alignment with the line of the chassis, body, bumper etc. Have there been any revisions to hardware to correct this or any other issue since it's introduction.

2. Is the total system lighter in weight than the total stock system? Any figures available?

3. Most people report performance gains…how about improvements in fuel mileage or range?

4. Anyone have experience with this exhaust system fit and a euro frame mounted trailer hitch?

Would like to get in line for a 10C 2.2 WBXer but that looks like a bit of a wait, so I would like to go forward with this header system for a little performance help.

1. Mine sits perfectly parallel to the Van body. No issues at all.

2. Not sure

3. I didn't notice much maybe 1 mpg, it isn't worse for sure.

4. Not sure
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

Any updates on this thread as far as leaks or anymore claims of cracking? Considering pulling the trigger on one of these but honestly reading thru this thread I have my concerns with the reliability of this system. For the price, the problems some have had kind of scare me. Thanks for any updated info good or bad!

Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Any updates on this thread as far as leaks or anymore claims of cracking? Considering pulling the trigger on one of these but honestly reading thru this thread I have my concerns with the reliability of this system. For the price, the problems some have had kind of scare me. Thanks for any updated info good or bad!

Jason

I'll bite.. Let it be known that my syncro does more sitting now than driving. I only have maybe 10K miles on this system. No leaks or cracks. It does like to rattle\squeak a bit till the engine is fully warmed but that may be my Camshaft. If I did not have a performance WBX I would not be running this setup. I would stay with a fully stock system. I also truly do not like the sound of it, preferring the throaty burble of the Dansk muffler.

J
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

Ours now has one 1,800 mile trip on it from Washington to our home in SE Alaska with no issues or loosening as of yet. A few hundred of those miles were on gravel logging roads and quite jarring (one of our mirrors fell off!). All seems to have held together fine. I will be checking it carefully in the spring before heading out.

Sound is a tad throatier then the stock and honestly the 2.1 seems to run nicer - a lot spunkier. It could be the old rusted up setup was causing issues more than the RMW improved anything but I feel it’s been a great upgrade. Having no place to install myself I had a shop install it - they complained it was a huge puzzle and they removed all the tin which I don’t think was necessary but seem to have put it in correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
candyman wrote:

Jason

I'll bite.. Let it be known that my syncro does more sitting now than driving. I only have maybe 10K miles on this system. No leaks or cracks. It does like to rattle\squeak a bit till the engine is fully warmed but that may be my Camshaft. If I did not have a performance WBX I would not be running this setup. I would stay with a fully stock system. I also truly do not like the sound of it, preferring the throaty burble of the Dansk muffler.

J

What performance wbx are you running? I have a stock 2.1 with marco injectors and ratio rockers. Probably going to build up a 2.2 this winter. Im trying to get as many hp/performance as I can with this setup. Curious if this exhaust will make a difference or be an expensive headache. This is going in a heavy syncro westy that lives in the mountains
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spunky goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

I have the RMW exhaust, Marco's injectors, and Marco's ratio rockers. They were all installed on my 1990 Westy at the same time earlier this year. I have about 2000 miles on it w/ no issues of cracking, leaking, or loosening of clamps. I have an otherwise stock 2.1 WBX w/ about 80k miles, stock 4 speed manual, w/ 15" KO2s. The performance after adding the trio of parts was nite and day, I'm very excited I did it. I can now cruise easily 65-70 and still have some power left to accelerate. The biggest difference I noticed is roll on ability when in 2nd or 3rd gear, I don't need to shift nearly as often as the torque at lower RPM's allows a broader use of 2nd and 3d gear across the RPM range.

My fuel economy is pretty steady at 17-18 with mixed city/highway driving.

I enjoy the throatier growl of the exhaust, although I can say that wifey is not as excited about it as I am; the kids noticed the difference in sound but have not complained about it on long trips.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have feedback on the RMW stainless exhaust? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:

Few questions:

I just installed a used RMW/Vanistan s/s exhaust on my syncro last week, and I just completed a 700 mile road trip. To Answer your questions above:

1 - yes, the used exhaust I bought does tilt down slightly toward the passenger side. I figured it got a little tweaked from the shipping (it was all thrown in a box from the seller, and they only removed the primary pipes). I'm going to adjust mine in a few days with my floor jack. I will get before & after pics.

2 - it's noticeably lighter. I would guess it's 2/3rds (maybe half) the weight of a factory system.

3 - It seems like I picked up 1 MPG in my syncro (2.2 RJE with 31" tires & 4.86)

Can't answer the other questions. The exhaust sound is really nice now, especially when you put your foot in it. It has more of a regular / even throb to it. You can tell it's not some mufler / cat-back only deal. It still keeps that cool flat 4 sound though, it just sounds more tuned and throaty. It did wake up the motor above 3200 rpm. To compare, I think the stock system really choked the engine in the mid to high rpm range. I verified that when my factory exhaust broke at the cat inlet last year. I noticed a jump in power along with the noise.

I recommend this exhaust system if you are looking to replace your exhaust. Couple it with the tencent timing advance procedure, and marco 1.25 rockers. Next on the list is marco's injectors. I think all of the above would be awesome on a RJE 2.3 wbx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: