Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Glenn is at one end of the Samba scale and Candy is at the other.

So if i'm the horse's mouth, then the other end is.....

candymustang65 wrote:
Laughin at Glenn with the Sun tester .
Sean

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tabbottuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let them get you down Sean (Candymustang). Although I was annoyed with your posts early on, I have grown quite fond of them. You obviously have some vw knowledge to impart and can incorporate pretty funny BS as well. With your posts, I extract the good stuff and laugh at the rest. As for all you others on the Samba, you know that it wouldn't be the same here without Sean....and admit it, you all read his stuff too.

Keep it coming Sean!!!

Tracy
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my 1970 1600 SP has these attributes:
009 dist
30PICT-3
stock exhaust

I was planning on modifying to doghouse.
Installing volksbitz rebuilt 30PICT-3 carb and tasb rebuilt 205T dizzy (stock carb / ignition).
Now that I'm going doghouse... I don't need the retarded #3 lobe.

I'd like to keep it as stock... just trying to see if there's a mechanical negative (besides less oomph with 30PICT).

Do you guys suggest:

A) Don't worry about the few degree retarded #3 lobe... just keep doing what you're planning because it won't really matter.

B) Use 34PICT-3 carb and SVDA distributor (which one?) because the three degrees on the one lobe of a non-doghouse distributor is bad (if you've gone external) & is a good consideration when doing a doghouse conversion.

C) Use 30PICT-3 because 34PICT is too much for 1600SP and use _____ distributor.

D) ???.... I'm open...

Thanks,
e
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think it will matter that much, I would just go with that you've already got.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember first time I saw it on a scope and condemned it for having bad distributer.....exceeded max. Dwell variation.... Put new one in...same pattern. Learned about VW retard on cyl #3.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy e, just go with the 30pict3 and the distributor with the retarded no. 3. You won't hurt the engine.

The 34pict3 won't fit on an sp manifold, the mounting flange is too large.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the retard of #3 is still useful (but not required) on doghouse fan shrouds. Of the four cylinders #3 gets the least cooling air from the fan. It is farther away from the spinning fan and the way the output of the fan shroud lines up the #4 cylinder is more exposed to the air than #3. You just need to realize you will loose a bit of overall power.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
IMHO, the retard of #3 is still useful (but not required) on doghouse fan shrouds. Of the four cylinders #3 gets the least cooling air from the fan. It is farther away from the spinning fan and the way the output of the fan shroud lines up the #4 cylinder is more exposed to the air than #3. You just need to realize you will loose a bit of overall power.

I agree with this mostly, though I doubt you'll ever feel the power difference.

I 100% recommend the 30pict3 and 205T/M. Smoothest running combination you'll ever find from a T1 engine. Fuel economy is great too. I get the warm and fuzzies just thinking about it.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Looking back on this old thread, I didn't see any comment on using a distributor with no No. 3 retard on an earlier engine which does not have the doghouse type oil cooler - will this be a major issue.

I assume the more recent 009's do not have a retarded no.3 cylinder lobe profile.

Also if you use a 123 electronic distributor does this have a retarded no.3 cylinder timing.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Thanks for using an old tread instead of starting another one! Smile

I don't know which, if any electronic distributors come with a #3 retard. You can check any distributor with a timing light and a degree pulley though. (A careful observer can use a static timing method to check too!) Stick your strobe timing light and check your idle timing on each cylinder. If one is behind the rest by any noticeable amount, you can shift the distributor 90* or 180* to reassign the retard, as long as you reposition the plug wires back to where they came from spatially. Make sense?

If you go electronic module in an older distributor, the module sets this, not the distributor. I had an off-brand module that had a 4* spread over all the cylinders. It wasn't intentional, just poorly made.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
Looking back on this old thread, I didn't see any comment on using a distributor with no No. 3 retard on an earlier engine which does not have the doghouse type oil cooler - will this be a major issue.

How "earlier" did you mean? The distributors w/ retarded #3 cam lobe came out in the late '60s and early '70s. Could the engine earlier than this that lacked the feature benefit from this? Maybe, but the retarded #3 distributors were vacuum-only advance distributors (SVSA) and some 009s. Would the earlier engines and their carbs have the proper vacuum advance to drive the timing advance? That is the question you need to ask first. Keeping the carb + matching distributor together is usually best, so now the question is whether the earlier engine would run well w/ a later carb+distributor combo and benefit with cooler running due to the retarded #3 cylinder??

Meiang wrote:
I assume the more recent 009's do not have a retarded no.3 cylinder lobe profile.

Correct assumption. But I don't know of any way to ID the ones w/ the retarded #3 except for an empirical test using a strobe timing light... or a distributor testing machine.

Meiang wrote:
Also if you use a 123 electronic distributor does this have a retarded no.3 cylinder timing.

The retard is applied by the cam lobes. One of the lobes is not 90-deg from the others. This lobe should trigger the #3 cylinder.
When you install aftermarket electronic points you typically installed a ring or disc over the cam lobes. This positions four magnets around the ring/disc 90-deg apart. You no longer have an offset trigger for #3.
This pic of the CompuFire disc shows the 4 magnets that pass over the module to trigger the module to fire the ignition coil.

Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Appreciate all the previous comments. Hope some of you folks are still around since 2011....

I believe I have an 009 distributor where the #3 is retarded.
I have a stock '71 Ghia with what I believe is a Spectra Premium VW06 1836(according to the sticker) distributor?

At present, the distributor is set up with the #1 cylinder wires at the normal 4 o'clock position on the dizzy. (There is no notch on the dizzy rim to help with where the #1 firing position really is.) When I time it with a timing light I get 32d at 3k rpms and 15d at idle=820 rpms.

However, when I hook the timing light to the #3 cylinder wires I get 35d at 3k rpms and 15d at idle=820 rpms.

So, because I am getting MORE advance at #3, I'm worried that my dizzy is off by 180 degrees. Currently the condenser is at about 10 o'clock and the #1 cylinder wire is at 4 o'clock.

My question is:

1. Should I just rotate my distributor CAP 180 degrees and have the #1 cylinder wire come from the 10 o'clock position on the dizzy? (and forever be confused and befuddled)
or
2. Should I just twist the distributor around 180 degrees, (while still in the engine), and rewire the cap to where the #1 cylinder wire is still in the 4 o'clock position? (seems like this wouldn't change the position of the lobes on the distributor shaft and it would just be the same as before)
or
3. Should I remove the distributor out of the engine, turn it 180 degrees and then reinstall it? Again, rewiring to keep the #1 cylinder wire at the 4' o'clock position? Can you actually do this with a distributor?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Dwight

If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

[quote="Dwighia"]Appreciate all the previous comments. Hope some of you folks are still around since 2011....

I believe I have an 009 distributor where the #3 is retarded.
I have a stock '71 Ghia with what I believe is a Spectra Premium VW06 1836(according to the sticker) distributor?

At present, the distributor is set up with the #1 cylinder wires at the normal 4 o'clock position on the dizzy. (There is no notch on the dizzy rim to help with where the #1 firing position really is.) When I time it with a timing light I get 32d at 3k rpms and 15d at idle=820 rpms.

However, when I hook the timing light to the #3 cylinder wires I get 35d at 3k rpms and 15d at idle=820 rpms.

So, because I am getting MORE advance at #3, I'm worried that my dizzy is off by 180 degrees. Currently the condenser is at about 10 o'clock and the #1 cylinder wire is at 4 o'clock.

My question is:

1. Should I just rotate my distributor CAP 180 degrees and have the #1 cylinder wire come from the 10 o'clock position on the dizzy? (and forever be confused and befuddled)
or
2. Should I just twist the distributor around 180 degrees, (while still in the engine), and rewire the cap to where the #1 cylinder wire is still in the 4 o'clock position? (seems like this wouldn't change the position of the lobes on the distributor shaft and it would just be the same as before)
or
3. Should I remove the distributor out of the engine, turn it 180 degrees and then reinstall it? Again, rewiring to keep the #1 cylinder wire at the 4' o'clock position? Can you actually do this with a distributor?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Dwight

Hi. It is interesting that this distrib shows the same base timing (15 * idle) but different total timing (32* and 35*). The fact that your distrib does not have the notch would indicate that all the lobes are timed at 90 * apart, and no 3* retard exists. But, if you are sure of your results you could re-index the distrib to your liking. I recently became aware of the distrib bodies location as it sits in the bore seems to be something many might not be aware of. This is thanks to mcmscott for taking me to school.
Look at your distrib's body that sits inside the case's bore and you should see a drilling that allows oil to lubricate the distrib's bushings. This drilling should line up with an opening in the case bore that will throw oil off the timing gears for this. So, just turning the distrib 180 possibly puts this drilling out of line with the oil splash.
So, that said, you seem to know where the 3* retarded lobe could be. Mark your distrib body 180 to index cyl #1.
Set your engine up to cyl #1 as if you're gonna adjust the valves.
Look at your distrib and see if installed with the rotor towards #1 that the distrib body will align with the previously mentioned alignment of the drilling and case opening. If not, you can R&R the dog at the bottom of the distrib and see if that works.
Shit, while typing all this out have you considered verifying the idle timing and total timing on cyl's 2 and 4?
Many here to include me will suggest that 35* and 15* at idle are too much. The generic info tends to like 5* to 10* idle and 28* to 32* full advance.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

ouch.
My bad.
Corrected numbers are:
#1 cylinder 12d @ idle 32d @ 3k rpms
#3 cylinder 15d @ idle 35d @ 3k rpms
Dwight

Bill, sorry to throw you off with the wrong idle numbers and thank you for your response.
I will remove the dizzy and check the alignment of the drilling case opening as suggested.
Will also verify the idle timing on cylinders #2 and #4.

I too am very concerned with the high timing numbers when I look at the #3 cylinder i.e. 35d!. So that is my main motivation to do something quickly.

Bottom line: Maybe I should just buy new dizzy. The device I'm using to measure dwell and RPMs has been giving me a blinking light that indicates a "worn distributor".
Also, when I measured my idle I get numbers in quick succession all over the map, i.e.
Is all this jumping around normal?
I have no idea if this is normal or another indicator that the dizzy is going bad.
If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Have the collective " we" done any better than describing " some engines" as having a retarded #3 cylinder or is that all we know about the scope of this?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Dwight. Your corrected numbers show a constant 20* of mechanical advance on the two cylinders. I guess you will check the other two cyl's and see what numbers you have. I guess ideally, dependent on the cyl 2/4, you will be able to have the distrib installed into the case correctly and if one cylinder shows to be retarded 3* it will be the #3 cylinder. Don't get no better than that, as they say. I probably wouldn't run that much initial timing. Idle at between 7* to 10* btdc should yield a happier motor.
I wouldn't replace that distrib based on the idle characteristics. Does it sound smooth/good?
If you don't trust this distrib you should be able to source a used distrib and/or points/condenser to get you home in the event of a failure.
I would assume you are running a dual port engine with the 34PICT carb? If so you may wish to get one of the oil temp dipsticks and see if your engine runs hot. It is a nice $35 tool. I've used them for decades. With monitoring this dipstick and your gas mileage you can look at those numbers and see if the install of a distrib with a vacuum advance will lower the temps and improve the gas mileage.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

I dealt with one of those on a customers car a few years ago, great top end or great idle, pick one because there was no in between, we went with crappy idle since he spent more time at speed than idling. A real distributor matched to his carb solved the problem.

How are you getting these numbers?, a degree pulley I assume?, have you confirmed the markings on the pulley are accurate?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Maybe I have read through all of this too fast but why are you using a distributor with a #3 retard? As mentioned, earlier, it was only used on certain vacuum models and this was because they were vacuum only distributors; has nothing to do with dog-house oil coolers or anything else. It was an anomaly with the advance curve used by these particular distributors which caused the rise in temperature in #3. The mis-information surrounding all of this began back in the late sixties/early seventies and despite much effort to correct this in the early part of this century, there still seems to be some confusion.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

To contribute to the original content of this thread, here is a copy from the official German workshop manual:
(thanks again to Michael Knappman (rip) for scanning this document and making it public)

#3 lobe is retarded 4° on the distributors marked with 1)

Well, this list is not a complete distributor list and it was discarded by VW in one of the next workshop manual updates. My personal copy does not have this information.
And we will never know, why they didn't copy the retard information to the other distributor lists.

I also found information about a retard lobe for a way later (1980) distributor in a bosch document.
This is about the 0 231 168 039 (same as 0 231 168 038), VW 070 905 205 A

#3 lobe is retarded 2°
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Dwighia wrote:

I went looking for a reference pic of a 009 to see where the condenser and that inspection window were located relative to the #1 plug wire notch... I found multiple examples that were different. Sad

Dwighia wrote:

Don't do it. The distributor cap has a square tab that fits into the square notch in the distributor body, it only installs one way. If you grind off the tab then you cannot ensure the posts will sit above the rotor at the point where the points fire the coil.

Dwighia wrote:

[Corrected reply]I'm thinking you will need to do this.
Identify which cylinder is firing retarded. Assuming it is only one cylinder this should be marked #3. Take a pencil or grease pen and mark the body of the distributor below the retarded plug wire with a "3". Mark the position opposite this with a "1".

Rotate the crank until the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap and the crank pulley TDC mark is lined up with the case split. Remove the #1 & #2 valve cover and while you rock the crank pulley back and forth make sure the #1 intake/exhaust valves/rockers are NOT moving. This proves the engine is at the end of the compression stroke for #1 cylinder.

Rotate the distributor body so the rotor is pointing to the position you marked as "1". Now connect the #1 plug wire over this mark on the distributor cap. Connect the remaining spark plug wires around the cap in a clockwise direction in the order 1-4-3-2. The #3 plug wire should be above the "3" on the distributor body.

If needed set point gap/dwell then static time the distributor to 10BTDC.

Dwighia wrote:

The distributor shaft engages with the top of the distributor drive gear only one way. This means the rotor will always be pointing to the same spot.
Rotate your crank until the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire and the TDC mark is lined up with the case split. Pull the distributor and look down into the hole. The top of the drive gear should look like this:

If it does, don't change anything.

I would only suggest the following if your are "correcting" the position the drive gear or the cog on the distributor. Once you remove the distributor you have two options to move the plug wires around the cap...
1) Remove the distributor drive gear from inside the case, rotate it and drop it back down. This will change where the #1 plug wire is located. There are 12-teeth on the drive gear so the plug wires will rotate 30-deg for each tooth moved.
2) Remove the cog at the bottom of the distributor. This can be removed and rotate 180-deg which results in all plug wires move 180-deg around the cap. Only do this is you confirmed it has previously been rotated.

Last edited by ashman40 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: