Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for advice from folks who have done a headliner
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RodneyW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice from folks who have done a headliner Reply with quote

OK, so I am about to start my headliner project. I've watched the JBugs DVD several times and have read lots of posts here. I'm feeling pretty confident about the job.

One thing though that I haven't ever seen explained. How do you mark or otherwise figure out where all the holes go while or after you put the headliner in? Sunvisors, rear view mirror, seat belts, coat hook, the rear vents. How do figure out where all those holes go once they are covered up with headliner fabric?

Something tells me I'll probably feel silly once I get the answer, but for now I'm dumbfounded (emphasis on the first syllable).

(2) The Fastback is running, rolling and, especially important, stopping. Interior is done. Driving more often; commuting on occasion. Dreaming of paint.

'71 Bahia Red Karmann Ghia Coupe
'71 Marina Blue Type 3 Fastback
'03 Reflex Silver Passat Wagon (sold but still in the family)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lots of pics before you start, a tape or ruler will help if it's in the pic .
Then you just use a needle to fish around through the holes in the material.
You can feel the holes with your finger tips as well.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
RodneyW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks my Albertan friend. I figured you'd post.

My 7 year old has been asking for a job on this project. "Boy, hold the ruler still!"

(2) The Fastback is running, rolling and, especially important, stopping. Interior is done. Driving more often; commuting on occasion. Dreaming of paint.

'71 Bahia Red Karmann Ghia Coupe
'71 Marina Blue Type 3 Fastback
'03 Reflex Silver Passat Wagon (sold but still in the family)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start installing the new headliner, thread the screws for the parts into their holes and LIGHTLY tighten them. Install the headliner. When you are finished, use your finger to find the screw head, use a new, sharp razor blade and cut a SMALL "X" on the screw head, put your screw dirver in the hole and back the screw out.
Quickstraw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to take your time and use good glue and lots of clips also. I installed my first headliner and everything looked great. went out the next day and the whole thing had fell down. I tried to reglue it several times and could never get it to stay. Finally I tore it out, cleaned all of the glue off the frame, and put in a brand new one which went in alot smoother. Once the headliner is in its pretty easy to find the holes if you run you fingers along the frame. the headliner isn't that thick
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto to rich

Before you start installing the new headliner, thread the screws for the parts into their holes and LIGHTLY tighten them. Install the headliner. When you are finished, use your finger to find the screw head, use a new, sharp razor blade and cut a SMALL "X" on the screw head, put your screw dirver in the hole and back the screw out.

also make sure the outside temp is 70 degree or above or the glue will never dry, and old glue removed as much as possible. J bugs video covers it pretty well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: