Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

jetta tranny problem
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: jetta tranny problem Reply with quote

My son's 2000 VR6 suddenly developed a serious problem. the engine reves ,and there is a delay in tranny engaging. and it will down shift hard while in higher gear(auto) Old school me was looking for a vac or somthing unplugged, dont know where to start. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has over 100K on it, you most likely need a transmission. At about this time last year we had to source one for my wife's '02 1.8t Jetta.

Sadly, VW can't seem to make an automatic transmission that lasts.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may just be low on ATF, but at that milage it may need a rebuilt.

Central Jersey VW Society
mdnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a local performance shop or trustworthy dealership near you? hook it up to a VAG-Com, the tech can check the TCM (transmission control module) and see if it's not reading correctly... that's a problem more common on passats, but the early mk4s suffer as well sometimes. the VAG-com should tell you almost exactly what the problem is. if it's the TCM just pull it out and search ebay, and vortex and match the part numbers exactly and you're good to go.

i know they go bad on passats because they are right under the passengers feet. if the sunroof drains back up and the car floods a little... guess what gets wet. im not sure where they are in a mk4 but it's a good place to start. my friend's wife just had this same sort of issue in her passat and the TCM was to blame. good luck
tonyc9928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed ^^^

tcm probably got wet. Very common.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: