Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Success!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

Maiden voyage of the Thingamajigger was nearly a complete success.

Had a few small hiccups, couple issues to work on this week before the next trip:
-Mirrors folded in during drive up. Had no problems prior to yesterday, guess the added winds in White Mountains did it. Tightened them this morning at the site.
-Today on way home, after stopping for gas, the Thingamajigger would not start. Cranked, fuel pump was on and could smell gas through exhaust. Just would not start up. Pushed it away from pumps and pulled everything out of rear to get to engine. Looked for loose connections or something obvious, found nothing. After 15 minutes or so, it started. Coil, wires, cap, rotor are all new, grounds all recently re-done and battery good.
-I think I have a loose wire somewhere. Yesterday I was having an issue after stopping where car idled great, started fine, but when I attempted to depart, it wanted to die under load. Had to fan clutch and gas to get it to go at all. Pulled over again to get out of another cars way, started again and once I got some revs behind it and velocity up I was okay. This morning it started up with no issues, but after hitting some traffic I had some of the same 'load issues'. Noticed when I hit some road bumps I had a drop in power, which leads me to loose wire theory.
-installed a WR1 Bosch relay kit for starter friday. Since then, I have had two 'click' scenarios where key turn produced a click, then another turn started the van right up. I know I cleaned off the connections well, but thinking the cables to starter may need a replacement.
-speedo needs calibration. GPS states its off by 10mph at 65
All in all, it was two good days and we made it home. Son was happy and no worse for the issues, thats all that really matters, is it not?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
Maiden voyage of the Thingamajigger was nearly a complete success.

Had a few small hiccups, couple issues to work on this week before the next trip:
-Mirrors folded in during drive up. Had no problems prior to yesterday, guess the added winds in White Mountains did it. Tightened them this morning at the site.
-Today on way home, after stopping for gas, the Thingamajigger would not start. Cranked, fuel pump was on and could smell gas through exhaust. Just would not start up. Pushed it away from pumps and pulled everything out of rear to get to engine. Looked for loose connections or something obvious, found nothing. After 15 minutes or so, it started. Coil, wires, cap, rotor are all new, grounds all recently re-done and battery good.
-I think I have a loose wire somewhere. Yesterday I was having an issue after stopping where car idled great, started fine, but when I attempted to depart, it wanted to die under load. Had to fan clutch and gas to get it to go at all. Pulled over again to get out of another cars way, started again and once I got some revs behind it and velocity up I was okay. This morning it started up with no issues, but after hitting some traffic I had some of the same 'load issues'. Noticed when I hit some road bumps I had a drop in power, which leads me to loose wire theory.
-installed a WR1 Bosch relay kit for starter friday. Since then, I have had two 'click' scenarios where key turn produced a click, then another turn started the van right up. I know I cleaned off the connections well, but thinking the cables to starter may need a replacement.
-speedo needs calibration. GPS states its off by 10mph at 65
All in all, it was two good days and we made it home. Son was happy and no worse for the issues, thats all that really matters, is it not?

Congrats on the maiden voyage. It is cool that you are getting your son involved in this Cool
Check all your grounds again, but really does sound like a loose wire somewhere.
In my 1980, I unhooked all the batteries and emery cloth+wd40'd the fuse box, bringing it back to a new life.....dry all terminals and let set overnight prior to replacing all fuses with new. It made a huge difference and I knew it was all new.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to the Kharma bank on the way home.

Caught sight of a Toyoyo sedan that was about to lose its wheel cover. Caught up to it and noticed it was due to a tire that was so low it was forcing the cover off.

Caught the attention of the driver after much arm waving. The tinting of the car did not allow me to see the occupants. The passenger window lowered, I yelled about the issue and we pulled over. I walked back with my son to find the three occupants coming out of the car. All three gorgeous college aged women.

Anyway, I changed the tire for them and as the driver (of India descent asked) I instructed her on how to do it in case of future need.

Helped someone out, added to the Kharma bank and gave my son a life lesson on helping those in need. Its all good.

Then saw a fully laden Westy on 495 south just before the 290 exit. It was chugging away with at least 4 bikes, three kayaks and who knows how many occupants. Reciprocated waves to the driver and moved on.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: