Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Louder and Hornier
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right! I nailed someone cutting across parking slots in a mall lot and had the immense satisfaction of seeing the guy jump and then hunch down after a blast from my manly Stebel Nautilus horn. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Twisted Evil
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Maybe this diagram will help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Split the positive side coming from position 87 and added another horn to the relay. Grounded the negitive
side to the frame as the first horn was.

Super loud now!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

Found the correct fuse/relay panel connector for the dual horn factory wiring on late model Vans.

Was browsing the Samba and noticed a banner ad for RMW so I clicked on it to see "what's new" and found that they have a section featuring hard to find electrical connectors.

This is the connector needed to plug into position L on the back of the late model Panel.

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/product_p/171971997.htm

The connector accepts the terminals labeled L on this excellent colour coded dual horn wiring diagram......

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/dual_horns_wiring_diagram.gif

Been looking for that little part for a couple years now.

Thanks RMW !

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

Going back in the Wayback machine...

Back in 2011 (the start of this thread) there was a conversation (debate?) going on about whether or not one should seal up a horn relay installed next to the horn if one was driving around in Seattle.

Not knowing that this was science, I installed a cheapo relay (not, NOT one of Jay Brown's dishwasher tested relays, just a cheapo with no sealant of any kind) next to the horn and drove around Seattle for awhile.

It turns out that a relay mounted in that spot will last four years in Seattle before it dies of exposure. It still clicked, but the contact had corroded to where it would no longer make contact. The one below was installed Feb, 2016 and crapped out about a month ago. Don't know if it was the rain or Covid-19, I assume it was the rain.

This time it was replaced with a "waterproof" relay (wires are now tucked away and zip-tied). I'll check back in a few years with more science. Also, the Stebel Nautilus horn is still very loud...

"Waterproof" relay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QV54V1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stebel Nautilus horn...
https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Nautilus-Compact-Black/dp/B00CMX20H4

Conversation (debate?) starts here...

teej wrote:
Thanks to this thread, especially crazyvwvanman and thatvwbusguy, we now have a horn that is loud enough and sounds vw.

New stock horn from van cafe
relay and wiring harness kit from thatvwbusguy

r39o wrote:
Nice idea, but I would NEVER put a relay out in the elements like that......

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Concur ^ Time to wrap that rascal. Someone here came up with a cool idea for a weather resistant electrical box by using some form of tupperware with the clasping tops...or better yet, just relocate the relay under the dash.

MarkWard wrote:
It's a horn, not a fuel injection relay. It cost what $10? Use it as is. If it is problematic then deal with a more ideal location. It is not like you would be left stranded.

Good job in my opinion.

r39o wrote:
Does it rain a lot in Seattle?

You can cheat some, as those relays are cheap, and just lay a bead of sealant on the bottom.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm in Oly, so I share the same rain clouds as Sea. My response was informed by numerous BTDT moments here in the PNW. I really like how clean the wiring is, hence my suggestion to just seal the relay in a box, away from watery goodness. Trust me, no part of the chassis is spared from water intrusion when it's peeing outside.

r39o wrote:
Being an electrical engineer and being around our family owned German Car Repair for over a half century, I kinda got a feeling about these things. I have seen poor installations in my time with the result of having problems. Relays and water, generally, do not mix well.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

I replaced the stock horn years ago and added a relay next to the horns and wrapped it. Lasted for years until the terminals rusted away and my pre-state-inspection test revealed silence, so I replaced the relay and terminals and wrapped (I hope) more thoroughly.

Incidentally, I used a set of Fiamme horns from the FLAPS and the van now sounds like a Cadillac; better than stock but not as loud and urgent as I'd like a horn to be so I might be getting a Stebel, famous in the motorcycle world for scaring the crap out of inattentive drivers.

The van is seldom driven so redoing this is down the list of priorities, but if I need to do it again I'll relocate the relay and add a Stebel.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Going back in the Wayback machine...

Back in 2011 (the start of this thread) there was a conversation (debate?) going on about whether or not one should seal up a horn relay installed next to the horn if one was driving around in Seattle.

Not knowing that this was science, I installed a cheapo relay (not, NOT one of Jay Brown's dishwasher tested relays, just a cheapo with no sealant of any kind) next to the horn and drove around Seattle for awhile.

It turns out that a relay mounted in that spot will last four years in Seattle before it dies of exposure. It still clicked, but the contact had corroded to where it would no longer make contact. The one below was installed Feb, 2016 and crapped out about a month ago. Don't know if it was the rain or Covid-19, I assume it was the rain.

It's always Covid...... Wink You didn't put a mask on that poor relay.... Wink Razz Razz
As wet as the Northwest is around Seattle, I think you got lucky with the 4 years of operation[ Chicago is often that wet too it seems].... we start your new timer on the newest Relay set-up NOW.......tick tick tick
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I haven't been driving around Seattle but have been doing so in similar weather in, near, Vancouver BC.

I "sealed" the horn relay I added on my '81 using dielectric grease. I'll be curious to see how long it lasts. It's been a couple years at least. So far so good. IIRC, I mounted it above the frame rail.

I did the same relay upgrade on my '88 recently and tried to mount the relay as high up as possible at area above the horn itself.

I've used these "sealed" relays before. In particular, I installed one forward of the passenger side tail light. Still works. They appear to be sealed quite well.

Pico sealed relay, socket, pigtail that I've used:

https://picocanada.com/view_product/928-91

Wire gauge is "overkill" for this application but I bet the relay would last a long time.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
I've used these "sealed" relays before. In particular, I installed one forward of the passenger side tail light. Still works. They appear to be sealed quite well.

Wire gauge is "overkill" for this application but I bet the relay would last a long time.

Neil.

This looks just like the relay I installed. Here's hoping it lasts longer than four years. I'll check back with more science.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Louder and Hornier Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

jimf909 wrote:
This looks just like the relay I installed. Here's hoping it lasts longer than four years. I'll check back with more science.

here's a pic that works. Don't know why Pico website is all hinky right now.

I would guess that the Pico sealed relay in front of tail light (sees some water) has been there for at least 7 years.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: