Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

I am looking to restore air conditioning to my 1987 Vanagon 2.1. The belt has been removed with the AC not functioning for at least 10 years or so.

What do I need to look at as far as ordering new parts? (I'm pretty cure my compressor is seized.)

Are there any pitfalls or special considerations I should be made aware of as I tackle this project with my mechanic?

Is there any other projects that would be convenient to undertake considering the parts of the van I'll be removing/repairing/replacing?

Thanks so much for your help!
Dan Clark from Kentucky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

Dan, my next project is to get the AC on my 90 going. Compressor is also seized. My intention is, new compressor, replace all the hoses with new hoses, parallel flow condenser, new dryer, and expansion valve. Plan to flush the evaporator at the same time. I'll be using R134, but you might be interested in searching "Redtek" here on the Samba.

For the hoses, I will purchase bulk hose and new hose ends from Vintage air and have a local hydraulic shop crimp them for me. I did this with our 82, where I did a clean install of an entire vintage air system.

My preference is to do this once.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Dan, my next project is to get the AC on my 90 going. Compressor is also seized. My intention is, new compressor, replace all the hoses with new hoses, parallel flow condenser, new dryer, and expansion valve. Plan to flush the evaporator at the same time. I'll be using R134, but you might be interested in searching "Redtek" here on the Samba.

For the hoses, I will purchase bulk hose and new hose ends from Vintage air and have a local hydraulic shop crimp them for me. I did this with our 82, where I did a clean install of an entire vintage air system.

My preference is to do this once.

This is definitely the way to go. No matter what refrigerant you decide to go with, the parallel flow condenser will improve the cooling. Compressors that seize typically spew metal throughout the system so the whole system needs flushed. I would (and did) pull the evap coil out for flushing and leak testing ($25 at a local mobile air shop). New hoses will be barrier style hose, so suitable for any refrigerant you want to use. Mark is dead on - you only want to do this once, and you want it to work right when you're done.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

There is a great thread about rebuilding Vanagon A/C but focuses on early 86 and earlier.

The concepts will be the same, there are many differences in location of components so you'll need to adapt.

The end result is a fantastic working A/C system!

The price? About $1,000 Do it Yourself.

I'll try to find the link.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

Jobs to do while you renew your AC system might include:

1. If it has never been replaced before, then replace your radiator when you remove and replace the factory condenser with a parallel-flow unit as Mark suggests above. You can buy these from GoWesty or from Nostalgic Air:

https://nostalgicac.com/parallel-flow-condensers/u...enser.html

Here's a couple pics showing how I mounted mine :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My AC is a custom system, which is why my condenser fittings are on the passenger side. The same Nostalgic Air condenser can be installed with the fittings on the driver side and the mounting hardware and fit will be exactly the same. I filled in the gap between the condenser and the radiator with foam weather stripping so that the rad fan efficiently pulls air through the condenser when the vehicle is not moving or moving slowly.

Using this aftermarket condenser did require spacing out the bottom of the factory radiator about 1/2". I did this by placing oversized nuts between the chassis and the lower radiator "L-bracket" supports as seen in the pic below:

2. When addressing the evaporator unit, a refurbishment always requires removing the whole evaporator cabinet. This gives you access to the evaporator fans. Clean them up and get some lube onto the fan motor bearings. Also check the fan speed resistors inside that cabinet for appearance of impending failure and check them electrically for correct resistance;

3. Check the "AC electrical panel" in the driver's side D-pillar area to see if the 50 Amp fusible link shows signs of overheating and if so, address that and the related wiring.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Overhaul for '87 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

There's a great '87 poptop thread on an A/C rebuild, but I can never find it when I want to. The guy did all new hoses, etc. I'll keep trying to find it again.

FOUND IT!!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365626&highlight=redtek

I'm going to use a photo from that thread to illustrate one thing to pursue. You will probably discover the hassle of dealing with the drip tray and hoses on removal. To simplify the reinstall, I'd suggest strapping the drip tray below the evaporator instead of having to arrange it on the floor of the upper cabinet. Also, slot the holes for the drain tubes in the sides of the upper cabinet. Make those U-shaped slots and attach the drain tubes to the already-suspended tray and you will be able to simply lift the cabinet into place without having to screw with the tray/hose routing thing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: