Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 86 Syncro restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
You are really putting a lot of effort into this project. She will serve you well on many an off-road adventure. Best of all you will know your van like no one else does. Nice job. Cool

This may be a moot point since it looks like you are not going to repaint but I noticed the issue with the orange peel in this pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your over spray is big droplets of paint, it should be a fine mist of over spray. Try turning down your product volume and turning up air pressure. It helps to practice on a piece of scrap metal before pointing the gun at your van.

Good luck with it! Very Happy

Thanks VWjedi, I was not 100% sure about it even if last job I did (doors and other small panels) I was getting better and figure it out.....
I had to do the same as the van (could look weird to have the sliding door not too bad and the rest of the van like orange peel...),
I start to like it but when we'll be tired of it, we could sand it again and buff it, there is enough material on the body for that.
For now, there is no rust anymore and we are happy.

Have a nice day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really putting a lot of effort into this project. She will serve you well on many an off-road adventure. Best of all you will know your van like no one else does. Nice job. Cool

This may be a moot point since it looks like you are not going to repaint but I noticed the issue with the orange peel in this pic:

Your over spray is big droplets of paint, it should be a fine mist of over spray. Try turning down your product volume and turning up air pressure. It helps to practice on a piece of scrap metal before pointing the gun at your van.

Good luck with it! Very Happy
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots have been done today.
Let see, lots of done, re-done and re-re-done.....

We started happy with a lot of new parts, a 2.2 GW kit, CB 1.25 rockers, CB maxi pump, AMC heads......

Both half cases together, making sure I don't forget anything....

Nice JE pistons, cylinders already assembled, I am so lazy, I love it:

So, the first cylinder/piston go in and to make sure everything is good, I try to rotate the crank and.... cannot anymore, something not right here.
I tried to look under and it seems the squirt of the piston is stopped by the case!!!!WTF

Took it apart and I was right, it is possible to see 2 marks on top and bottom on the picture (light marks and I put white stuff for the picture):

Not really happy and I remember a thread about a 2.5 where the guy had to send his case to a machine shop to make room for bigger cylinders (even if I know that GW cylinders are original cylinders bored).

So, I had to do something:

and voila, it works.

Put it back together again, all cylinders are in place and I can rotate the crank.
Turning the block on the support, I remember that I forgot to put the yellow stuff on the bolt for the oil pickup tube.
Not a problem, take the bolt off and .... a bad, really bad noise, like something is falling inside the motor....., it was the small washer between the tube support and the case.

I know what you are thinking, I know Brick wall

But, we are getting good at it, still a waste of time, some cleaning to do everytime....

Anyway, here we are:

Some nice pictures to follow, I love it when I work with new parts....

Tubes aren't new, but close:

Cylinder heads are on the motor, and I am looking to put in place those rockers, but it is the first time and I am a little lost about those shims and others, I need to read a little before, I saw nice posts about it.

After that, I got some cromoly rods that need to be cut and we need some shims for the crank to add behind the pressure plate but we'll see that this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
Cool thing with the lights. Will your van stay at stock hieght? or do you intend on keeping the lift? You better hurry...My guess is 3 weeks till the white stuff! Crying or Very sad

Please, don't use the S word after the weekend we got (you too, seems it was warmer your place).

The lift will stay on the van, no choice with the size of tires we are using.
We got another set of rims (16" from an A4) for winter tires, smaller size that we can use to get the van in the garage, but it will be for next year. We'll see how those new tires are doing in the snow for now.

We like those lights too, we should be able to see something during the night....

Have a good one.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcook52459 wrote:
you really have a van to be proud of with all the work.congrat's Applause

You forgot to say when it will be done Laughing

Thanks, I think I will but it has been a long work and I am pretty sure I am not doing another one.
Of course, we'll keep this one and I am sure it will keep us busy anyway.

I won't forget to thanks all Samba members for support and threads and ideas, we took a lot from guys.

Have a nice week.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Looking gooood Razz

Thanks, I am motivated again, we got some motor parts so something different that "body work" is better for now.

Have a nice week.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thing with the lights. Will your van stay at stock hieght? or do you intend on keeping the lift? You better hurry...My guess is 3 weeks till the white stuff! Crying or Very sad
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really have a van to be proud of with all the work.congrat's Applause
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking gooood Razz
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some coolant system work today, almost all hoses are new (all hoses I wasn't 100% sure about).
Only front of the van for now, since we received our main bearing set, we'll start on the motor in a short time, but it is way to hot today to work....

New radiator, hoses and SS coolant pipes from Van Cafe.

Started a little on the motor, but I took it apart a long time ago so I need to get more info about what I need to put back inside and how.

More tomorrow.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All head light electrical is done (including driving and fog lights),
We added 6 different circuits on the right side of the dash, all with 40A relays.
Circuits are horn, fog lights, driving lights, original driving lights left and right, one spare.

all of them with separate groung from inside, everything with 12ga wires but I limited the current at less than 20A per circuit to be safe for the next 20 years.

Almost done, there is still some cleaning to do:

Here is a view of the front:

3 windows are on the van, both rear were easy, harder for the driver side sliding window so we are still not sure if we are going to put the windshield in by ourselves.

I picked up some plastic strip to put at the bottom of the slide so the glass isn't in contact with the aluminium, saw that in a post but cannot find it anymore.
This will at the same time fix the lock for that windows when we'll have time to re-cut it.

Hopefully this weekend we'll be able to put back the dash, some doors, do some electrical for the motor (still waiting for parts, especially that main bearing set.....) and finish the front.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More has been done today.
Gearbox shifter link is back in place, replaced and greased.
Doesn't feel that good but the trans didn't run for at least 5 months, there is new oil but I think I need to adjust it when the motor is running.

Here some pictures:

I made a mod on the shifter shaft, my wife was complaining it was hard for her to shift in reverse, I make 2 more holes in the shaft to adjust the spring. It is in the middle for now, it feel softer, we'll see if she is ok with it:

I was able to work on the electrical, but I didn't replace the starter original cable. First, it is in good shape, all connections are clean and second I think I need to remove the tank to get it, there is a clamp on the side.
So, I did add a 2 ga cable to it> There is a longer stud on the starter, no problem.
At the same time, I added a 6 ga from the alternator to the starter in case we are going for a bigger alternator in the future.
I was not happy the first time I replaced the alternator, but now, with the trans lowered and without the motor, it is a 5 min job.

I had some problem with the starter, not sure what it was so I added a second ground cable on the left side of the motor, it is a 1/0 ga, too big, but I do with what I have, some leftover from my past job as electrician.

My wife did her part today, she put a lot of HP cable all over the place, there will be speakers in the back door and some under the back bench as well.

Enough for today, more coming this week.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All headlights are back in their frame but I am still waiting to put them back in the van, I need to improve the electrical system for the light since I am planning to put 100w bulbs all over and there are fog and driving lights. Sadly, I'll need to put all extra relays on the right side of the dash, there is not enought room above the existing fuse box.

Gas pedal is back in place and the mechanism is waterproof (was not before, there was rust on the floor).

Steering is in too, waterproof too, I had to put the boot in a different way, I found some rust there too so now the boot's lips is "outside" with some sealant so nothing can come in.

We did put back 2 back windows, not that hard, maybe some time today for the driver slide windows and we might be ready to do the windshield next weekend, but I am not if the 2 of us can do it, we might need help.

Next today will be shifter, maybe cooling system and starter electrical.
Starter isn't doing good, not sure if it is ground related or not (I replaced it and still the same when the motor is hot, bushing will be new too even if the old one was ok), but since everything in out, I'll replace all wires related to it, need to check what size it is and I'll go bigger.
Same for the alternator wire, I might go with a bigger alternator in the futur so that wire will be oversized, now is the time since the starter on the syncro is so accessible......
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Cleaning and painting Reply with quote

It was cleaning time this weekend, need to go to the metal dump, more to come but I can manage it later.

More sanding and painting:

and of course my favorite, new pieces going together, less cleaning but it was needed.

We did rust proof the van too, but it was a mess, the forecast was going to be 28 degrees Celcius, but the North wind came in, dropped to 20 in no time as usual and we end up heating our home made Waxoyl, a mess.
We had to keep it hot inside the sprayer, it was not easy.

Anyway, it is done, I am happy with it and we'll see in 5 years if I did a good job or not...... but now I need to use a screw driver to make I didn't plug all water drain.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Going out on a limb, the only 'Porsche' ones that would fit would be from the 356. I would have to check though, the 911 valve gear is significantly different since it is an over head cam design. The 911 ones are about $23 though and the 356 ones are about $9 EACH!

Check out CB Performance's website, either the Rhino (PN 1642, 9mm screw) or Elephant feet (PN 1518 8mm screw). I can not remember which one you need for the CB rocker arm, I think it is 8mm though. CB can tell you, and they should ship to Canada. The difference is in the head and how it attaches and oils. You can see the difference in design on the CB site, compare to PN 1523 which is what you have. I also had custom push rods made by Manton but that was just me…

Good luck with the engine build.

Paul

Thanks a lot Paul

I checked yesterday, 8mm is the size I have and I ordered some from here:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D109%2D470

they look exactly the same so it should be ok.
I didn't want to bother ordering in the US, last time my shipment sat 2 weeks in custom..... and I should get parts for the motor this week hopefully.

We need to rush, usually I put snow tires on cars 1st of October, I am pretty sure you understand my point.

Have a nice day.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going out on a limb, the only 'Porsche' ones that would fit would be from the 356. I would have to check though, the 911 valve gear is significantly different since it is an over head cam design. The 911 ones are about $23 though and the 356 ones are about $9 EACH!

Check out CB Performance's website, either the Rhino (PN 1642, 9mm screw) or Elephant feet (PN 1518 8mm screw). I can not remember which one you need for the CB rocker arm, I think it is 8mm though. CB can tell you, and they should ship to Canada. The difference is in the head and how it attaches and oils. You can see the difference in design on the CB site, compare to PN 1523 which is what you have. I also had custom push rods made by Manton but that was just me…

Good luck with the engine build.

Paul
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Looks like a great project, you are going to have a beautiful van when it is all done.

One suggestion, don't use the swivel feet that come in the CB 1.25:1 kit and get the Porsche style elephant feet. I had one of the ends break off the CB style swivel after about 2k miles, there just is not enough material where the swivel connects. The Porsche style feet are much more robust and worth the extra investment.

Paul

Morning Paul

A good van for sure, beautiful, I am not sure....

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know I could replace those.
Please, could you give me more information about it, I was looking at CB website this morning and I am not able to find the size of those feet and I am not home to check myself.
I found Porsche:
http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?Porsche/19...enum1/tabS
or
http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist.cfm?Porsche/19..._Adjuster/

but not sure if they will fit.
Do you know a place in Canada that sells the one you are talking about?
I am kinda tired to wait for parts waiting in custom......
but I might have time, not sure when I'll get my main bearing set and if I put the motor back in complete or minus cylinder head, my wife is helping and complaining the motor is too heavy (she is 100lbs and cannot lift a VW motor, should I get her to work out?)

Jerome
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great project, you are going to have a beautiful van when it is all done.

One suggestion, don't use the swivel feet that come in the CB 1.25:1 kit and get the Porsche style elephant feet. I had one of the ends break off the CB style swivel after about 2k miles, there just is not enough material where the swivel connects. The Porsche style feet are much more robust and worth the extra investment.

Paul
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Brakes work Reply with quote

Some work on the brakes since the weekend, it seems ok with the big brake booster, got the idea from this post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401822&highlight=bigger+brakebooster

following all indications and it works good.

Here a pic of both boosters

went in without any problem.

We still need to wait for parts, I forgot to order wiper grommet so I cannot put back the dash for now so no steering or coolant system in place, seems everything need to go in order.

New coolant parts, all the system (minus heaters, fan) will be new.

Our homemade "waxoyl" is almost ready, the hot weather did help a lot, I only hope I'll be able to spray it without problem.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: More paint and need advice for bumper Reply with quote

Little work has been done on the van, more sandblasting and painting (my wife is doing all the painting, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black, cannot complain, it is taking her a lot of time...)

I was looking at those old coolant pipe, it was time to replace them, has been repaired already once I think, I am so happy to have new SS one, looks good.

Of course, all other hoses are going to be replace, we don't want any trouble down the road.

Some work done on the front bumper, I need to protect those lights, but not sure if I like the grill in front, heavy duty stainless steel, but it seems to big, we need to think about it.

Before:

After:

Not too much choice here, they are using more gravel than salt during the winter, I don't want to replace them every year but I might go with some plastic on it, not sure if it will hold with 100W bulb inside....
We don't want to use the white protector sold with the light, we are going to use them, those lights are not for look!

It is about it for today, not much for this weekend, we are going condo-packing (same as backpacking, but in a condo, no tent).
Some snow yesterday in the mountain, we are not that tough and certainly not crazy, a little comfort is always good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: