Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awning sale question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Awning sale question Reply with quote

Is this awning on sale the same as the Bus Depot version?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1198890

http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it to me, I have one like that....makes me want a gutter mounted one real bad...I wish the dometic ones where still made Sad
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the link you posted shows awnings for non-Vanagon buses. If its the same silver-on-the-inside as one of our standalone awnings, then I'd like to say that they give notably better shade. It's "black" shade vs most awnings where the sun kinda goes through the fabric and on a sunny day it is still squinty bright under them. On the non silver coated ones, the awning is lit up from the sun. Under our silver coated one, looking up at the awning and it's dark and the table and people are fully shaded. Much cooler, and more relaxing.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both come from Pennsylvania
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the same to me! Do yourself a favor and get the larger of the two ex awnings from BD.
You'll wish that you had if you get the small one, the bigger of the two covers one end
of the rain gutter to the other. I found that the smaller one, it was harder to keep the sun
from hitting the sliding door when the sun was on it decline. With the edges out further
from the slider, it gave more sun protection to my fridge, just inside the slider.

Larger Ez awning
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Smaller ez awning. You can see how much smaller this one really is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If its the same silver-on-the-inside as one of our standalone awnings, then I'd like to say that they give notably better shade. It's "black" shade vs most awnings where the sun kinda goes through the fabric and on a sunny day it is still squinty bright under them. On the non silver coated ones, the awning is lit up from the sun. Under our silver coated one, looking up at the awning and it's dark and the table and people are fully shaded. Much cooler, and more relaxing." DougM

So is the BD one the coated one like you're describing doug?
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: awnings Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Look to be the same. I have the bd one like it a lot ,since it cost about $900 less than brand f. But when I got mine I was able to order the vw jack post mount and the extra poles to make mine stand alone . Being able to use the jack post is real cool , makes it like the $1,000 ones at $900 less. But anyway thats one heck of a price! Very Happy Just need to add, when free standing , yes I have to put big rocks at each leg, then it stays fine. Also when I use the jack points the awning will stay put even a moderate wind without using the guy ropes, with the ropes it will stay put in a heavy wind! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking again at the web site and the pics, they do look exactly alike. The price is
right also!! Both of mine have a bluish tint on the underside of the awning and these look
like they do to. The sizes seem to match up as well. Go for it and let us know what you get?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Go for it and let us know what you get?

I am waiting for an email back from them about shipping.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any folks familiar with the vendor? I haven't purchased from them before...
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, any idea of the jack point/wheel mount kit that BD sells would fit this? The vendor said it doesn't come with those options....
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectVWParts wrote:
They look similar, but they're not the same. Bus Depot's can be setup to connect back to the vehicle and they claim theirs can also be used free standing. I would caution against doing that however, because even a slight wind could easily lift the canopy, if it's not tied or weighted down somehow.

This is the response I got from the advertiser.

I am thinking about the big one they have. How wrong can you go?

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but I LIKE that option!! Rolling Eyes
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
but I LIKE that option!! Rolling Eyes

If the option is free standing, I wouldn't consider it with one of the BD awning either!
They will colapse in high winds attached to your van, I can't imagine what they would do
while free standing in the wind. I pretty much use only two guy ropes while set up, free
standing means, you'll use alot more. The underside of their awning looks the same as BD's,
so it probably will use their jack stands.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BD ad looks like it has guy wires when attached to the van...that seems like a pretty good setup? yes, freestanding seems a bir risky. Do you have an awning setup you like?
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: awnings Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Look to be the same. I have the bd one like it a lot ,since it cost about $900 less than brand f. But when I got mine I was able to order the vw jack post mount and the extra poles to make mine stand alone . Being able to use the jack post is real cool , makes it like the $1,000 ones at $900 less. But anyway thats one heck of a price! Very Happy Just need to add, when free standing , yes I have to put big rocks at each leg, then it stays fine. Also when I use the jack points the awning will stay put even a moderate wind without using the guy ropes, with the ropes it will stay put in a heavy wind! Very Happy
Blue Bay Bus Since I'm one of the few who has one another thing to add is I found the hard way that you need to put it together hanging on the side of the bus, due to the thin material, if you try to put it together on the ground you will rub holes in it. Like I did, also it is a good idea to put seam seal on it! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: