Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SW Oregon trip advice?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

In Port Orford Oregon on the Southern Oregon Coast near me, Griffs is one of the best fish and chip restaurants at least in Southern Oregon parts. Also, there is a Nice view from the Red Fish Restaurant up the hill from the Dock.

Although for Oysters the best place on the Coast is worth a short drive North from Astoria in South Bend Washington at the River View Dining Cafe:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, Dampcamper I PM'd you.

Dan, I really appreciate the route guidance.

Gear assessment is complete and Tatanka is half-packed and as ready as it's gonna be. Can't wait to get on the road.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

This is the actual climb…70mph in 4th on a grade? Nice.

Danwvw wrote:
1971 Bus Crater Lake Hill

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Now that is funny! Especially considering that my wife pretty much taught me how to camp. I always print out all of the Samba's suggestions before we take a trip; I'll probably leave this part out. Very Happy

Well, I had a wife and three daughters and if the trip didn't involve nightly stops at a hotel it was just me and my son. Good fer yer womenfolk, I didn't mean to come off as a sexist pig.
If you need a place to plug in a hairdryer (and the Van) complete with running water, after Astoria, catch the Lower Columbia Ferry Boat over to Puget Island (about 30 miles upriver from Astoria) and I got a parking spot for all y'all.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

The shortest way to Crater Lake is going to be through Winnemucca NV and North to US-140 then to Lakeview Oregon then US-140 to the Sprague River Cut-Off that comes out in Chiloquin Oregon just a Bit South of Crater Lake. I usually take the US-97 North to where US-138 comes into it and make a turn West on US-138 to Crater Lake. The Hill on US-138 to Crater Lake is a good test for how fast your Bus will climb a known hill. 1971 Bus Crater Lake Hill. One way to go through Winnemucca without doing much of I80 is to take US-50 to Austin NV then up to Winnemucca.
Route Map Doherty Slide in Eastern Oregon

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
All good and well about our cousins up North, but this is a South Coast thread and as a resident here, I would like to advocate for the South Coast, we may not have the fancy towns and the lush breweries of the North Coast, but the South Coast, Umpqua River and South, does have the scenery and good times. Please remember us as the wild coast, we have wilderness areas, wild and scenic rivers, great breweries and a TON of free camping.

Anyone headed through Coos County and has an issue please PM me, I have a ton of parts and would happily help you get back on the road.

Come on through spend some time in our communities and help us keep our towns viable.

Thanks Brian. Our philosophy on road trips has undergone a fundamental change over the past year. We used to aim at clusters of national parks on a specific schedule, but now (due in no small part to the Smithsonian Channel program "Aerial America") we've decided to have a much looser itinerary and concentrate on specific states. And we always do everything we can to keep the money local.

As we did with our tour of New Mexico in March, we're looking to experience as much of Oregon as our time allows, north and south. (And east and west, for that matter.) Can't wait to get on the road!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

All good and well about our cousins up North, but this is a South Coast thread and as a resident here, I would like to advocate for the South Coast, we may not have the fancy towns and the lush breweries of the North Coast, but the South Coast, Umpqua River and South, does have the scenery and good times. Please remember us as the wild coast, we have wilderness areas, wild and scenic rivers, great breweries and a TON of free camping.

Anyone headed through Coos County and has an issue please PM me, I have a ton of parts and would happily help you get back on the road.

Come on through spend some time in our communities and help us keep our towns viable.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Dampcamper wrote:
So if the female part of your company can go without hairdryers there are plenty of places to go into hiding if that is what you would like.

Now that is funny! Especially considering that my wife pretty much taught me how to camp. I always print out all of the Samba's suggestions before we take a trip; I'll probably leave this part out. Very Happy

We definitely want to see the Goonies house and spend some time in the area. Thanks!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Have the kids seen "Goonies"? Filmed in Astoria (you can walk up to the house, there isn't anywhere to turn around so park below) and points south on the coast. There's a little film museum in the old jail downtown, they can probably direct you (that's a pun, son).
The Columbia River Maritime Museum is pretty cool, too: http://www.crmm.org/
Fort Stevens State Park out at the mouth of the Columbia: https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=129 Good place to camp, if you can still get a reservation.
Standard warning for people coming from points inland: Watch the tides and the surf. Possible in some locations to get stranded by a rising tide, (you can buy a little tide table book for a couple of bucks to know when it's a coming in), also occasional "sneaker" waves can drench you or otherwise ruin your day.
Oh, also: https://fortgeorgebrewery.com/ Minors OK until 10:00 PM. Nice folks, great beers!
And if you want to find a place away from the beach, there is a little man-made lake up in the hills south of Tillamook on the road up to Mount Hebo. Very quiet little place, many years ago it was a military base, part of the early-warning system. I think the lake was made as a reservoir for the base. (edit: looks like some of this was WPA project) I can give you directions if you'd like, it is less than an hour off of 101. There is also, running through the Coast Range of mountains, the Nestucca Scenic Byway (western end hits 101 also south of Tillamook) which has several campsites along the Nestucca River.
There is a lot of National Forest land in Oregon and Washington where you can camp for free with some restrictions like not on the very edge of a river (they don't want you scaring the fish, right?). So if the female part of your company can go without hairdryers there are plenty of places to go into hiding if that is what you would like.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
ok, here is the thing on Mo's -- it used to be a great place - cheap & where a lot of fishermen ate after getting back on shore; then, in the mid? 1970's it was "discovered" by the Hollywood crowd during a film shoot and got a ton of publicity

Mo Niemi expanded to an annex across the st. (on the wharf side) and people saw him shopping in the grocery store for various items (!!)

He did get pretty well-off tho, so that is nice for him.

somewhat true except Mo was a woman...? that’s my friend’s grandma (she’s also on the “Mo’s” beer that Rogue used to make) and he also says the same things about their quality.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

I went to college in Portland and loved driving out to the coast. One of my favorite spots to visit and camp at was called Oswald West state park. The park has a beautiful wooded trail down to a place called falcon cove. There are places to camp within though I’m not sure about car camping. Regardless, it’s a place you should check out.

https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=139
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

There are so many beautiful areas along the Oregon coast to camp at. I lived in Crescent City, CA for 6+ years and frequently camped in SW Oregon and of course in the very north western area of Calif. Wished I still lived up there.

Craig
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been that way and it's a nice drive too. If I know what you're talking about. We went over the Teton Pass Road out of Jackson Hole WY to places beyond. Takes an extra Day or Two.
Another route is I-70 West that takes you over Vail Pass Colorado and you can stop and enjoy the Hot Springs in Glenwood Springs CO, It's a good route but it dumps you out in some of the worst traffic Salt Lake City has to offer. From Salt Lake, you either must take I 80 all the way west to Winnemucca where you can take a really nice back road into the wilds of Eastern Oregon or head North on I-15 and catch I-84. A good Campground along this route is the Price Canyon Recreation Area on US 6.
Price Canyon Recreation Area off of US-6 Between Price Utah and Salt Lake City:

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions! After Baja then Orcas island last year, my crew seems to be obsessed with the Pacific.

Danwvw, I appreciate the directions on getting across Utah and Idaho...I've been scratching my head thinking of the best way west. I will admit that I like to avoid i-80 at all costs, though. That road is not meant for Vanagons. I'm thinking we might go I-70 to 191 to Salt Lake, then take your directions from there.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

We were a fully loaded family of four on a mission in our Quattro wagon at the time. You were sitting at an intersection while we blasted by on 101 (Tremont Ave.?). I saw two other members under similar circumstances during that trip.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

^^Z:

Most Likely, still trying to get VWs to stop and share a beer....

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

^^^

I'm pretty sure I saw your Doka in Coos Bay when we were on a family trip down the coast three years ago. Small world.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Welcome to the Oregon Coast!

Besides Cape Blanco...checkout Cape Arago in Coos Bay, Sunset Beach is a sweet day use area with camping near by. Also in Coos Bay is our local Brewery: 7 Devils Brewing, checkout their Facebook or website for music guests, nice outdoor seating with music every weekend. I am 3 blocks away from the brewery if you need a driveway camping option.

Another sweet spot is the Elk River in Curry County (South of Langlois and North of Port Orford), there is a Forest Road on the South bank that you can take up river into the National Forest with multiple pullouts for great camping and swimming.

Be sure to stop by the Langlois Market right on 101 for great hotdogs and $5 Craft Beer Growler Fills!

FaceHook:
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SW Oregon trip advice? Reply with quote

Yeah, I kind of do it the Opposite since I go to Colorado from the Oregon Coast. I go to Colorado Springs. But still, the best time wise is always Denver and I-25 to Ft-collins US-287 to Laramie and take I-80 to I-84 Before going into Salt Lake. Then I-84 to Ontario OR (Usually camp at 3 island crossing State Park on the Snake River in Glenns Ferry Idaho) From Ontario Oregon take US-20 (US-26 takes a lot longer due to endless curves!) across Eastern Oregon. For Camping (Chukar Park Recreation Site just West of Juntura Oregon take a Dirt road North a mile or two to the Campgrounds). From there you could go to Crater lake the next night.

I live on the Oregon Coast and the nicest campgrounds here is Cape Blanco State Park. I also like the campgrounds along the Rogue River and the Redwoods of Northern California are not far. I like the Mill Creek Campground just South of Crescent City California nicely off of the 101 in the RedWoods.
There is a VW Cruse happening that will come through here on its way from Canida to Mexico https://www.facebook.com/Hwy1Treffen/ I think they say Day3 for where I live in Langlois Oregon they will just be driving by me July 22nd 2018. Maybe I will Cruze with them from Bandon Oregon to Port Orford or maybe just park at the restaurant across the street in Langlois and see who stops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: