Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping a van to Europe (and maybe back)?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Shipping a van to Europe (and maybe back)? Reply with quote

I am thinking about shipping a Vanagon Camper to Europe for extended travels. Anyone shipped one there FROM the USA/CA? I would consider selling it there when we are finished rather than shipping it back.

thanks for any helpful info

Mark
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering selling it there once you are done, it would probably be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a vanagon camper in Europe and sell it there before you come back. There are a lot more of them over there so they can usually be found for a great deal.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus some Westy systems are different like propane, power ect, not a big hassle but will limit your selling options

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a van to Europe (and maybe back)? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I am thinking about shipping a Vanagon Camper to Europe for extended travels. Anyone shipped one there FROM the USA/CA?

Just last Sunday, we met and had a chat with someone who had been shipping a Canada-origin LandRover all over the world. We'd been kind of intrigued with the idea of shipping our Westy over to Europe, and keeping it there for a year or two to explore, and then shipping it back.

He said it's not that difficult, though not cheap. Apparently you get a carnet through CAA, which is kind of like posting a bond to guarantee that you'll bring it out of whatever country you ship it to. The carnet can be used worldwide. He's had his LR in Europe, in Africa, and in Australia. He didn't say how much the carnet cost--but the catch is--you must bring the vehicle back to Canada.

http://www.caa.ca/travel/travel-carnet-e.cfm

I asked him about the freight costs. He said that he did the trips in concert with a second vehicle, and that two of them together filled up a 40' container. Also, for some areas like Europe, where cars are shipped from, there are Roll-On/Roll-Off services that you can take advantage of--then a container isn't necessary.

He suggested about $5000 a trip for freight.

He's got a nice arrangement--he's a retired engineer and has come up with an aftermarket overdrive kit for LRs. So he takes his vehicle all over the world, and the travel is tax-deductible as promotional expenses.

For the rest of us, the shipping costs are pretty prohibitive, I think. Given that there are so many used Westies in Europe, it's probably a better deal to buy one there and sell it when you're finished travelling.

----
Kathy
88 Westy
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just hoping for info on shipping from here to Europe for personal use. I realize I can get one there but I would rather build my own camper and also take some time to get the mechanical stuff in order beforehand. I would not be shipping a Westy or any other van with high resale value. I have bought a vehicle in far away lands before, traveled in it, and sold it again when we were done. I might do so again if the shipping is not practical.

Mark

I am Wildcat wrote:
If you are considering selling it there once you are done, it would probably be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a vanagon camper in Europe and sell it there before you come back. There are a lot more of them over there so they can usually be found for a great deal.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5K sounds pretty excessive to me though I'm no expert. I just seem to remember seeing another thread on here maybe a year ago and they were talking figures more like $1K to get it there.
'96 BMW R1100GS
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
$5K sounds pretty excessive to me though I'm no expert. I just seem to remember seeing another thread on here maybe a year ago and they were talking figures more like $1K to get it there.

Well, we were talking generally about shipping vehicles overseas; it could be that was an average for all sorts of places including South Africa and Australia.

It could have gone up a fair bit, though. I think worldwide shipping is down because of the various economies, and the less shipping lines available, the more they can jack up the prices for occasional/one-time shippers.

K
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as someone who lives in Germany, I have to ask- who the FUCK told you busses, or for that matter Westies, were plentiful over here? I was lucky and FOUND mine in an impound lot! Most every single van I see has rust damage, dents, or is just basicly FUCKED UP! Do your van up nice, ship it over and have your fun. When you are finished, make a HELL of a lot of money and sell it here. Seriously. A fucked up rusty Bluestar just sold in my town for 7000Euro. Thats almost $10,000!

Oh, and let me know when you want to ship. If the timing is right, I might be able to go halves on a 40' container. I have a van in Santa Cruz I would like to ship over.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Domo, the language is a bit strong for a public forum such as this Shocked - please tone it down?

Mark - when I've gotten quotes from Europe to Maryland it was around $1600, $2200 for oversized campers like a Gipsy or other higher-profile. I used Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was already under the impression that the van might be worth more there than here. That is partly why shipping only one way was something I wanted to know about. I am also under the impression that the direction of shipment can make a huge difference in costs, if the general freight flow is lopsided in one direction or the other. I was also under the impression that some of the bureaucratic aspects may favor someone driving their own tourist vehicle. That is the kind of info that would be nice to hear more about.

Mark

Domo wrote:
Ok, as someone who lives in Germany, I have to ask- who the FUCK told you busses, or for that matter Westies, were plentiful over here? I was lucky and FOUND mine in an impound lot! Most every single van I see has rust damage, dents, or is just basicly FUCKED UP! Do your van up nice, ship it over and have your fun. When you are finished, make a HELL of a lot of money and sell it here. Seriously. A fucked up rusty Bluestar just sold in my town for 7000Euro. Thats almost $10,000!

Oh, and let me know when you want to ship. If the timing is right, I might be able to go halves on a 40' container. I have a van in Santa Cruz I would like to ship over.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Who would be your target audience to purchase your van in Europe?

Often, if a US vehicle is purchased by a local national, that purchaser would have to pay import taxes, sales tax, and more often than not, converted to European specs. Adding all of that up, it might be cost prohibitive for a European citizen to consider a US spec vehicle. Not sure of all of the details, but certainly something to think about.

Of course, you should take along your US state vehicle title as your proof of ownership if you plan to sell in Europe.

Unlike Domo, I found plenty of VWs, including campers, for sale. I used the autoscout24.de and mobile.de to locate my Transporters, although I was not specifically looking for campers.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are certainly concerns I have thought of and that is the sort of info I need to resolve. Some countries are bound to be easier to sell into than others would be. Some countries may have different rules for older vehicles so again that is the info I need to obtain. It would be a 25 year old Vanagon from California, for sure. I don't need to make a lot of money on the deal and I can always just ship it home if that makes the most sense. I may have other people interested in flying over and driving it around after us so a sale would wait until after that. Much detail is up in the air to say the least. This is merely the talking and learning stage. Thanks for the input!

Mark

GMByers wrote:
Mark,

Who would be your target audience to purchase your van in Europe?

Often, if a US vehicle is purchased by a local national, that purchaser would have to pay import taxes, sales tax, and more often than not, converted to European specs. Adding all of that up, it might be cost prohibitive for a European citizen to consider a US spec vehicle. Not sure of all of the details, but certainly something to think about.

Of course, you should take along your US state vehicle title as your proof of ownership if you plan to sell in Europe.

Unlike Domo, I found plenty of VWs, including campers, for sale. I used the autoscout24.de and mobile.de to locate my Transporters, although I was not specifically looking for campers.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been shipping all over and currently have a C-Class Benz in London

I don't have the time to go in all details right now, but some facts:

-you don't need a Carnet for Europe
-getting insurance for non-residents in Europe can be problematic.
-UK is the easiest/cheapest place to buy a vehicle, but most are RHD obviously - but you can find LHD too.
-people have been shipping VW Van back to Europe for many years now as there is/was a better selection and price here.
-shipping is around $2500. it can be done from L.A./Baltimore/Halifax are popular but there are many options.
-fuel is very expensive, 18/20 mpg for a 2.1 waterboxer is going to deplete your wallet quickly.

Get a Toyota Hiace instead - the even have the 4wd version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Campers-Caravans-Motorhomes-/121904/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=toyota+hiace

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rust-Free-TOYOTA-HIACE-S...19ed589e68
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely subject as I will be looking into this for next year - Syncro 30! Shocked

I like the company Westy Ventures posted and will check on their reputation with my Aunt who is in the industry.

Soooooo.... Anyone want to split a container to Germany next year? I might have to quit my job to get the amount of time off I want for this trip ~6 weeks Confused

I know fuel will be expensive, but at the lower speeds and with a TDI, I'm running around 30mpg lately Smile
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this company ships all the time

http://www.sea-bridge.de/

http://www.sea-bridge.de/html/shipping.php

Last quote I got was 3200 Euro, but I think you could do better especially if you call them and share a container.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking to send over a diesel van as well, for simplicity and economy. I could share a container but it would be early in the year.

I don't plan to spend much time in right hand drive countries so buying something in the UK is less attractive.

Mark

hans j wrote:
Timely subject as I will be looking into this for next year - Syncro 30! Shocked

I like the company Westy Ventures posted and will check on their reputation with my Aunt who is in the industry.

Soooooo.... Anyone want to split a container to Germany next year? I might have to quit my job to get the amount of time off I want for this trip ~6 weeks Confused

I know fuel will be expensive, but at the lower speeds and with a TDI, I'm running around 30mpg lately Smile
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I was thinking to send over a diesel van as well, for simplicity and economy. I could share a container but it would be early in the year.

I don't plan to spend much time in right hand drive countries so buying something in the UK is less attractive.

Mark

hans j wrote:

We drive our RHD all over Europe. Does not make a big difference, and it is actually a great theft deterrent...we paid 2800 pounds for it a couple years ago - the car was pristine. At this price, it did not make sense for us to ship anything - the shipping alone would have cost that much. We use the balance of the money to enjoy staying in B&B all over Europe.

Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to ship over my Syncro 16" highroof for Syncro 30 also. That will necessitate a high cube rather than std. plus container wheels most likely. As time gets closer keep me in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago I shipped my Vanagon in a shared container, from LA, for about 2500.00 I'd have opted for RO-RO but the car has to be empty and mine was full to the roof and on the roof rack.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most countries have import duties. Many have pretty strict roads test as well - safety stuff, not just smog. It does boggle my mind that the only person who tests things like brakes here is the driver. Yeah, you can drive a foreign car around for a while, but if you're resident, you need to pay the import fees. Stupidly, these are often similar to the value of the car - and not always a % of price (I guess too many people fiddled that).

Have you looked at the resale prices? In some countries cars are very cheap, especially ones with serious recessions. Also, most of the people I knew in the UK/Ireland drove transporters (aka eurovans) - which are extremely plentiful and cheap - likewise Ford Transits and a host of other similar sized vehicles. Unlike North America, the Vanagon is not as unique - the camper part is perhaps, but not the size. There seem to be fewer Europeans on this forum, and I don't think it is just the language.

A friend of my brother's runs http://www.rapidrodentracing.com/ - you could shoot him (Chez) an email on your situation. They are very plugged in to the air cooled scene.

As for the price of fuel - that is what North American's will be paying next year, so get over it/don't sweat it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: