Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Point gap Voodoo
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Point gap Voodoo Reply with quote

Some info first, 019 distributor, dual kadron 1641 in '64 sedan.
While driving home yesterday doing a steady ~40 mph the engine simply slows down, unresponsive to gas pedal and shuts down.

I checked the usual suspects with the help of a good samaritan car guy and found no spark. Next I noticed the points gap had changed a LOT on it's own(?!), so reset that to .016" and engine starts up again fine. Good stuff, I'm on my way. Not sure why the gap changed spontaneously but more on that in a bit.

Now there is some intermittent bucking/acceleration problems which is to be expected until I can verify dwell/timing after ballparking point gap.
As well there is noise that seems to be coming from the distributor, a mild intermittent metallic rubbing noise that seems to follow RPMs but not increase or decrease under acceleration as I would expect in the case of pinging.

I pulled the distributor cap, rotor, dust cover & had a look but nothing obvious. Checked advance action and both springs still on there. I'll pull the distributor later and check further.

Any suggestions on what else I ought to look for or if this is something unrelated to the points gap changing on it's own? At first I thought the noise was the fan but that's not the case.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad As a VW mechanic of past yrs I am leaning towards a dry shaft lacking lubrication. It should spin freely when held in your hand. Also You need a NEW screw to hold the points in place...maybe the internal threads in the plate are slightly stripped. Have had customers come in that used a small sheet metal screw when they lost the original being that it was so small. Just a thought.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check the vertical play of the distributor shaft as well. I did a bit more searching and suspect the fiber washer broke/disintegrated.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above from HRVW

Everything you described to me sounds like there is no lubrication on the center shaft the points ride on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a lunchtime recce and there is grease still on the shaft. I pulled the distributor & it spins freely when you release the tension from the points rubbing block. Gave he felt wick on top a couple drops of oil since I was there and kept the clamp attached so timing wouldn't change.

There was nothing unusual to notice, and vertical play in the shaft was negligable, less than 1mm by eyeball gauge.

At this point the dwell/timing need to be checked & adjusted from previously adjusting the points to .016"

As it is now, it runs at speed but will stall within seconds off idle if I don't give it some pedal. Good times, gotta keep smiling.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Shaft should still turn freely with the points/fiber rubbing on the lobes.
Grease on the lobes is still not the same as inside the dist itself, As stated above there may be a problem internally. Take it apart and observe the oil hole at the bottom lining up with the rotor.

Steve
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have stated, it sounds like the rubbing block is not lubricated. Make sure you are using Bosch Distributor Grease and not something else.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I managed to limp home, timing is definitely not right. Backfiring a couple times, I'll check the news tonight for reports of shots fired. Embarassed

Glenn, it's Bosch grease from the little tube. I looked and there is some grease on there still, but not in the rubbing block edge against the lobes so it was wiped clean from that strip.

I've had bad luck pulling apart a distributor in the past so I think I'll likely send it your way for some r&r. Standby for PM to follow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: