Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montana Oval meets bullet car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While looking around the Samba I found this thread about an April 55 barn find. Good shot of the fuel tank. I think this answers my question. Here is a link to that thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509636
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woke up this morning and delivered here in New York City. Finally Getting freight to take me to the west coast to pick up the "bullet" car in Monterey, Ca. First leg of this trip, pick up a load out of New Jersey and take that to Iowa. I will be slowly working my way west. I have to also make money in the process as I won't be making any revenue on my way back and diesel fuel ain't cheep boys and girls. Saw this little gem on my way. I think this is a good omen or at least I hope. Going to be a long trip but well worth it. Colored out the lady's plate number for privacy. Great looking car!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as most plans don't always come to fruition in trucking, and in the best interest of all involved, I would have to break down and hire a transport company to move the bullet car dubbed "Waldo" to the east coast. Wow what a big pain in the @$$ that process was. I never realized how "dog eat dog" the automobile transportation business is. I filled out a form on the internet to recieve quotes for transport companies on a Sunday evening and first thing Monday morning my phone exploded with no less than 24 companies calling me and seizing up my voicemail. With everyone promising me the "moon and the stars" I decided to do some research on each company on the internet as well as here on The Samba. I discovered that "cheapest" is not always the best way to go as in the end when the car arrives to the final destination certain drivers demand more money from you to release the car as they "where promised more money by the broker" and failed to mention it to the customer. Finally choosing one of them, I signed an electronic contract as crossed my fingers. Missed several promised pick up dates which pissed off my seller, I can't blame him as he had to take off work to get the car loaded on his end. So finally got it loaded in California on the 18th of this month. Left California on the 19th and suppose to be delivered in Virginia Beach, Virginia this coming Tuesday. Hopefully everything goes according to plan...we will see. Here are a few pics of it loaded up sent to me by the seller.

Last edited by kdfwagon on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Kool Blue German Standard Smile

Hope the new owner is active here too, congrats on your sale!

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Super Kool Blue German Standard Smile

Hope the new owner is active here too, congrats on your sale!

Tom

Thanks Tom. I am the new owner and I will post as we roll along. Plans for a complete restoration on this car are in the future. Trying to get some history on how it got here to the states. The PO is not entirely certain either. One thing is for certain, the bullet holes while kinda cool have to go. I think a German standard deserves that much.
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the standard came from Germany I thought it would be cool to pick up this plate for the car.

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdfwagon wrote:
Since the standard came from Germany I thought it would be cool to pick up this plate for the car.

Yes, I've known your car, if I had'nt already found my "Blauchen" (my 57' European/Export US Navy "bringback" car) I would have considered buying that car... it's really kool that a rare German Standard is coming back East. Smile

Late (post 1954) Standard cars in Blue are very very rare and that car has a very good interior still from what I could see, so that's something I'd consider keeping ALL ORIGINAL, the dash paint is OG too isn'`t it?

If you need any advise of restoration (what's right parts etc.) please feel free to write me, it will be lot's of fun putting together a car that's not like too many others here in the States......

I have a USFIG plate on the front of my car as well and I've collected and sold them on and off now for over 10 years now, the 1955 year plates are very difficult to find in such a clean condition as you have, congratulations on your find, it took me like 6 months to find the right condition 1957 plate for my car, I was hoping for a set, but as the 1955 one is, 1957 is also very hard to find in minty/clean non abused or drilled out condition and sets are very very rare.

I found a equally as rare USA country of origin plate (see photo) to mount on the right rear towel rack, I'll be adding that soon. Smile ~ maybe you would like one? You can find them on evilbay sometimes, from $25 to $100 depending of which version of plate etc.

1954 was the FIRST year that the letters USA was realized for America's COO plate.

Looking forward to seeing the car as you go through the resto-preservation.

You should start a whole new thread on that ~
*Oval-Window Projects and Builds* list Smile

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
If you need any advise of restoration (what's right parts etc.) please feel free to write me

Thanks Tom, I will probably need the advice and help during this process from you and other Samba members.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdfwagon wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
If you need any advise of restoration (what's right parts etc.) please feel free to write me

Thanks Tom, I will probably need the advice and help during this process from you and other Samba members.

Yeah, there's alot of great people here and there's a renewed interest in Standard cars in Europe lately, so your car will spark up some good conversations for sure.

Diggin those USFIG plates, can't wait to see it on your car, where did you find it evilbay???

Tom
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a late 1955/early 1956 L 37 Medium Blue (inland) German Standard, pretty much the SAME color scheme as your car would have, true it's not a color photo, but you can tell by the wheels, seeing the off colored silver white, inside hubs, also the VW emblem and there was a really kool pinstripe on the side of the car as well that was painted the same color as the inner wheel hubs.

All the rest of the car was L 37 Medium Blue, so it's very pretty, clean and simple, the only outside parts that were chrome on your car are the Headlight Rings and the Outer Ring of the Running Light (bottom lens) on the Heart-Tailights, so simple it's brillant! Smile

I can't wait to see more photos from your car......

Tom
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Diggin those USFIG plates, can't wait to see it on your car, where did you find it evilbay???

Yes I got it off e-bay. Cost me a pretty penny to.
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the picture. Fantastic. When the car arrives I will be posting pics of it. I think I am going to take your advise and start a new thread for this car alone, although I will be using the Montana car for donor parts I think the car needs its own thread. Thanks my friend. Laughing
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdfwagon wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

Yes I got it off e-bay. Cost me a pretty penny to.

I wish I knew you needed one, I know where a near mint 55' plate is for $70 (private collector)

I have over $120 invested in (2 different 57' USFIG tags) I picked the better of the two with washer marks in the top of the plate to match how to mount it in the front, the upper towel rack has a slight curve/bump in the middle of the bumper, so the plate has to flex slightly to fit snugly, as you can tell I'm crazy about these USFIG plates. Smile

Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: