Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 1965 Beetle project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

AlmostOriginal wrote:
left_coast*9 wrote:
VIN reads 115479XXX so this is an early 1965 I assume?

Dude! My VIN is 115464***! Apx. 15,000 VWs between them! Also the stories behind our VWs is almost the same! Both have '67 engines (mine caught on fire while stilled owned by the original owner) and were both sprayed in the '80s! Heres a pic of my car,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Anyways, nice car! Hope it turns out well!

Thanks AO, you have a nice lookin' bug there yourself!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliesnyder wrote:
So I see you do all your own body work! Wanna do mine!?!? I'm scared of it! Laughing

I was a total newbie in the body work arena three years ago when I bought the 57, but said F it and went and took that autobody class at Renton Tech...only night class in Puget Sound, killer program. Another quarter starts in Jan, you should go take it!
Whatever you do, don't be scared. You gotta dive in, and the more you learn and the more familiar you get with the materials, techniques, etc. the more fun it is, & the less fear you have. Some people hate bodywork, but I really think that's b/c they didn't take the time to learn it right, and their end result is always disappointing. It's really hard to get it just right, but when you do, it's one of the coolest things ever! BTW, I am a total hobbyist and still learning....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working out the minor front end damage to the 65, it's been a slow but fun journey. I think a lot of shops would have just clipped the front end but this car is waaaay too nice to cut up. And can be fixed. So as you know it appears that the damage was from the driver's side to some degree (literally), but whatever the dumb-ass PO hit, went under the car too, bending up the spare tire tray and of course mangling the front apron. No big deal, let's pull that sheit out with some brut force delivered at the hand of the Dodge cummins diesel LOL
Here you can see (by the red line) that the drivers side is up and in more than the pass side.

All I did was weld on some pretty thick angle iron to the front quarter where the bumper bracket is spot welded. Of course the bumper bracket is in the spare tire side, but it provided some rigidity and strength/leverage to attach the angle iron. Here I show a photo of me working on the pass side as it needed to come out a bit too. Yes, the other end of that tow strap is attached to the hitch of my truck. Cool It was a gentle tug. And later on, I merely snugged up the strap to provide tension and then banged on it with hammer and dolly to work out the kinks.

Here you can see it got to be an all-out battle! Surprised I've got angle iron melted to the whole front of the car! LOL Shocked Really though, the key here was to go slow and get the angle at which I pulled correct. That was where I had to be careful. Notice too that I have all my hammers and dollies out, as well as a BFH (big Ford hammer Wink )

But look now, it's much better

Here I got the front apron off....still have some minor wrinkles to pound out at the bottom of the quarter

Getting really close. Smile Front driver's quarter meets up real nice with the hood now. More work to do though.

This becomes scrap steel now. Sad but necessary sacrifice for the old guy.....

Cheers!
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little by little, making headway. Progress is bliss. Smile So I’ve been having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse. Didn’t care for that much. I was worried the tranny was going out, but I thought no way, there has to be something else. So first thing I checked to see whether I could adjust the clutch. Nope, I had that wing nut adjusted all the way up. Then I noticed, WTF!, there was a second nut in there in front of the wing nut! Ok, something’s fishy. PO was a dumbass, LMFAO, but I already knew that. Of course I am NOT an expert mechanic, but this was still funny. At this point, the last thing I wanted to do is pull the engine. So let’s start with the basics. Check the clutch cable. That meant pull the pedal assembly. Well that was the first part of the fun. It definitely revealed culprit number one. The GD hook was almost worn through!

After I got this out I knew I was in for some fun. Sure enough, culprit number 2: the front weld on the clutch tube was broken, and the tube was flopping around in there. Oh boy, that meant I had to cut a hole in the tunnel from the pass side to access and reweld the tube
Got the access panel cut, prepped or welding

welding done.

Everything is solid, solid solid in here. Amazing

While I was in there, before I welded up the front weld I noticed that the middle clutch tube weld was broken too! Had to go in and fix that , too. Yes, this is culprit number three.
Unortunately, this OG black matting absolutely disintegrated in my hands as I was taking it out. Bummer

Welded in a reinforcement bracket, in addition to welding it to the driver's side of the tunnel

Also replaced the clutch cable and bowden tube, as well as wire wheeled and painted the whole pedal assembly. Pics of that soon. Besides needing a little adjustment, the clutch works great now. Could not have done this job without this website, thanks Samba!
itizmyne4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since we're comparing vins, myne is 115659461 also a sunroof
Myne has front end damage, until i can get the funds to replace/fix it, i can just hide the problems for now ha. oh and the rear has damage too. Still looking good

My brothers '63 RHD Oval

VW's are cars. Cars are not meant to leak oil. So if your VW leaks I think you should fix it. Be like me and have no leaks
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itizmyne4 wrote:
Well since we're comparing vins, myne is 115659461 also a sunroof
Myne has front end damage, until i can get the funds to replace/fix it, i can just hide the problems for now ha. oh and the rear has damage too. Still looking good

Love those pics! I also like your sig about no leaks. I agree! From '02 to '05 I lived in Socal, first in Huntington Beach then in Lake Elsinore. I often camped and hiked in Joshua Tree Nat'l park, and am at least familiar with Lancaster. Beautiful area.
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have already done this but, I would check the shift rod bushing. I just replaced mine in my 65
itizmyne4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

left_coast*9 wrote:
Love those pics! I also like your sig about no leaks. I agree! From '02 to '05 I lived in Socal, first in Huntington Beach then in Lake Elsinore. I often camped and hiked in Joshua Tree Nat'l park, and am at least familiar with Lancaster. Beautiful area.

Thanks, and yes sign is true. I live about 5 minutes from this gas station(they film a ton of movies here at the gas station/Hotel in the background) its a nice place at times, but i do wish i could get out of here. its not the same as before. Not alot of opportunities out here. we park our cars in the backyard so they dont get stolen. 3 neighbors lost cars in the last 2 months. sucks. Hope to see more pics of your bug. looks fun, me and my brother are working on a '63 with an oval conversion RHD conversion with airbag suspension. projects are fun

My brothers '63 RHD Oval

VW's are cars. Cars are not meant to leak oil. So if your VW leaks I think you should fix it. Be like me and have no leaks
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
You might have already done this but, I would check the shift rod bushing. I just replaced mine in my 65

Is that the one at the rear of the tunnel, under the little access cover?
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the gearshift coupler which I also changed. The bushing is under your shifter in the tab that supports the shift rod. You have to remove the shift rod to replace it.
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a few updates on the pedal assembly. Before:

After:

Replacing the clutch hook rod was easier that I thought it would be. A little heat on the right part, at the right time, and a BFH, and I declared victory. Thanks for lookin' Cool
HotRod06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Looking Good Reply with quote

My VIN is 115246XXX its also a sunroof. I have similar front end damage. Your build is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 65 was built later in the year, vin 115831xxx. It was originally Panama Beige but the p.o. painted it Brunswick Blue.
[img][/img]
mykidsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice 65..
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
That's the gearshift coupler which I also changed. The bushing is under your shifter in the tab that supports the shift rod. You have to remove the shift rod to replace it.

Ok, thanks for the tip I will definitely look into that.
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
My 65 was built later in the year, vin 115831xxx. It was originally Panama Beige but the p.o. painted it Brunswick Blue.
[img][/img]

JVulich, nice lookin' ride man, I covet your white wall tires. Smile
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is my "as purchased" picture. I really can't complain, there was more in new parts than I paid for the whole car. I did decide to stay with the mostly stock look except for some dropped spindles,some blank hub caps and a Moon 3 spoke steering wheel. Engine wise the 1200 that came with it was worn out and wasn't correct so I decided to dust off a 1776 I had sitting in the corner of my garage which I'll be adding a set of Kadron's with the older style air cleaners and an nos Treuhaft 010 distributor. I also yanked the 4.37 gearbox and replaced it with a 67 4.12 unit that I had Scott at Metalcraft rebuild.
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about got this driver's side rear pan fixed. With as solid as this car is, the only reason I can figure this part of the pan is rusty is bc the PO ran over something on that side. See the damage below. The battery tray and the whole pass side of the pan is perfect.
First thing to do was to finish getting the OG sound deadening mats, the OG rubber mats, and carpet and seats out of the way, and the area cleaned up:

Then figure out what needed to be cut out, and what could and should be left in place. I am using a standard sheet metal replacement pan to patch this, so I also had to keep in mind it's shape and size

Got it out of the car. This is the damage I was talking about. This is the only part of the pan that got scraped....it's one of the lowest parts of the car in this area. You can also see the big bulge in the second pic below:

Granted, a little bit of surface rust on the inside didn't help

Got it tacked in here

I'll post up the finished product later, haven't downloaded those pics yet. In the meantime, here is the pass side -- all of this is surface rust:

It cleaned up real nice

Getting there. Sorry, I sound like a broken record I know, but it's amazing how solid this car is. Must have been in a garage and treated really nicely all it's life. Next is to finish the pan repair, then to seam seal the welded area real good, and Por-15 inside on both sides. Cool
Stay tuned
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more progress. Since I have the seats out, might as well make them look like new. The upholstery already does. But the seat frames need attention.

Here is the new floor pan quarter welded in and seam-sealed. Por-15 went on today, will post the final product soon....

Not much to show, but better than nothin'! Cheers..... Smile
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finishing up the driver's side. I decided to do this the right way and take the pedal assembly back out to make sure it gets good coatings of POR-15 back there. Even removed out the stop bracket.

So now I can focus on getting the interior back together, and at least make the car a driver again. Need to adjust the clutch, brakes (should be easy), and that'll be about it for now. Then back to the front end work. Stay tuned!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: