Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil cooling...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRCashHighwayman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: oil cooling... Reply with quote

Hello!

I recently had an engine fire in my 1965 bug. I had all the repairs done, and its running nicely, however I was most annoyed that I could not install a dog house oil cooler because the engine case is broken! This is a 1776 dual carb engine. I do have an oil filter. Apparently, the whole time I was running it, the oil has been cooled solely by the cooler over the transmission (this is what the mechanic, Russell, at Old Speed VW told me). I have a thermostat installed, and if I kept my speed on the highway at 55mph on a hot day, it stayed at 210F, which is the absolute limit of how hot the oil should get. Temperature driving on streets is not an issue. Since I live in Riverside, CA, and its not uncommon for temperatures to reach 100F or more, I was wondering if you folks have any ideas on how I can add additional measures to cool my oil. Cheaper is better, as I am a college student, but I love my car, so tell me about it even if its expensive. Would it be beneficial to add a fan or some other cooling device to my oil filter perhaps?

Thank you
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be most beneficial to have the doghouse cooler work.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fan for the oil cooler would help.

The cooler alone above the trans gets almost no airflow through the cooler.

I take it one of the oil cooler stud ears is broken on your case not allowing you to use a oil cooler of any kind on the case?

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
JRCashHighwayman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what specifically was broken on the case, I will be seeing my guy tonight and will ask him in person. But this sounds about right, now I that I think about it.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a 2007cc engine in my 61 bug and I run an external oil cooler with a fan. In Houston summer weather, my bug runs at a cool 175 degrees all day. You can find external oil coolers in the classified section all day. Since yours is a stocker, get the stock cooler installed. Drill out the broken stud and install an insert. Then be sure all of your tin and seals are in place. That's where I'd start.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
I am running a 2007cc engine in my 61 bug and I run an external oil cooler with a fan. In Houston summer weather, my bug runs at a cool 175 degrees all day. You can find external oil coolers in the classified section all day. Since yours is a stocker, get the stock cooler installed. Drill out the broken stud and install an insert. Then be sure all of your tin and seals are in place. That's where I'd start.

Sounds likely the mounting ear broke and not just a stud, which the shop would have fixed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: