Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Chipped Their Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Anyone Chipped Their Vanagon? Reply with quote

Just stumbled accross this and was curious, anyone try it yet?
http://www.gfchips.com/volkswagenvanagon.aspx
Sounds impressive and its cheap enough......

WHAT IS IT? The GF Performance Chip reprograms your air/fuel ratio, ignition timing, and other aspects of your vehicle's engine to SAFELY increase the power, while increasing fuel economy significantly. Our chips are designed and programmed per vehicle. Your car will run smoother, run cooler and more efficiently at the same time. The gains we advertise are real, and are guaranteed with a money back promise. Our chips will not only increase horsepower, but torque as well for more REAL power. It increases power throughout the full RPM range unlike many competitors.

EASY INSTALLATION. Installation can be performed by anyone using simple hand tools. The GF module installs into your VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON's engine bay and is connected via 2 wires that plug into the IAT sensor. Diagrams are included. The unit is then able to reprogram the ECU thus improving your car's performance. Everything needed for installation is included in this kit for a quick and easy installation that shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. There is absolutely nothing else needed to have this installed on your vehicle.

COMPATIBLE. The GF Performance Chip utilizes the latest in automotive engine control technology. Our product allows you to take your VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON's performance to the next level. Our product is tested to work with your car in either stock or modified trim. You can have any kind of modification and our unit will still remain compatible with your VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON.

GUARANTEED. Regardless of your driving style our chip will provide a substantial increase in performance in your VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON. All of these benefits are achieved without disassembling your VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON's ECU thereby preserving your factory warranty or permanently altering your car in any way shape or form. What sets us apart from our competition is that we offer a solid product that we stand by, so much so that if you are not satisfied in any way we will offer you a 100% no questions asked refund. Additionally, just from the fuel savings alone, our chip pays for itself!

Price: $69.00

Not that I would deviate from stock or anything in the near future Embarassed
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite possible that it works, but...

1) The description is exactly the same for any car you select (it simply changes the make/model).

2) MSRP is $399.99... buy it now for this low, low price of not $200, not $100, but $69! But wait, there's more!

3) They have in their list of cars 1985-1989 Cabriolets. I always use those cars as a test for sites like that because those cars are CIS and cannot be chipped in stock form. I've had to break the news to a few people over the years that they wasted their money. This tells me that GForce doesn't know squat about VWs and/or is trying to get suckers to buy their product.

4) Digifant II can take a replacement chip that'll increase performance a bit. Advanced Motorsport makes the best one, from what I hear.

So, I'm calling partial bee-ess on this one. Neutral
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
It's quite possible that it works, but...

1) The description is exactly the same for any car you select (it simply changes the make/model).

2) MSRP is $399.99... buy it now for this low, low price of not $200, not $100, but $69! But wait, there's more!

3) They have in their list of cars 1985-1989 Cabriolets. I always use those cars as a test for sites like that because those cars are CIS and cannot be chipped in stock form. I've had to break the news to a few people over the years that they wasted their money. This tells me that GForce doesn't know squat about VWs and/or is trying to get suckers to buy their product.

4) Digifant II can take a replacement chip that'll increase performance a bit. Advanced Motorsport makes the best one, from what I hear.

So, I'm calling partial bee-ess on this one. Neutral
I noticed the $300 MSRP, now $69.99 as well, along with the VW MINIVAN in the drop down box for the year:lol:
I know a few GTI heads and they all chip their rides but I'd never heard of a Vanagon specific chip. It will be interesting to see if anyone has done this.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a generic ad where they plug any car from the era -- like the eBay listing to add power windows to a TR3.

I had no trouble finding an application on there site for adding a chip to an engine with a carburator.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother..it is not a "chip". They are selling a $1 resistor+ $1 harness. It plugs into the AFM and indicates to the ECU that the incoming ambient air temperature is colder than it really is, with a higher resistance at the temp sensor circuit.

The ECU will map the ignition timing slightly more advanced and the fuel richer. Yes it will feel like it makes more power..and your fuel economy will suffer.

It was an old trick if you were looking to hot rod your Bosch fuel injected engine.

Very misleading..it is not a chip.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've chipped my Vanagon..

but I usualy just scratch it. Laughing

actually I've added the chip to mine, but it's a 1.8l inline4 with Digifant

from this seller
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/vw_pilot/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussie chips work with D series ECUs and work well.
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a D that is chipped with the old Aussie chip, if I can only find it!
I hate moving... your "file system" gets all messed up..

Bo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: