Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

canvas to roof seals,trim and screws?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

just ordered a new canvas from cip1 and am having a hard time finding these items anyone got any ideas of where to search or whateven the terms for these actaul parts are? canvas seal doesn't seem to work very well for me in the search engines thanks a ton!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Izz,
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're after, the canvas is stapled to the wood in the top with a vinyl strip (sometimes called a tack strip), many use cove base vinyl for this. The canvas is attached to the bus with an aluminum strip, there is no seal, just the canvas pinched between the roof skin and the strip held down with a shitload of little countersunk phillips head screws, the strip is in 4 sections, 2 long ones down the sides with the corners and 2 short ones at the front and back.
In a pinch you could find similar things to all that stuff at the lumberyard or a flooring store.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's the legend! haha, thanks man good to be back, hope your doing well!

yeah i'm after the alum trim on the bottom and i thought there was a seal between the fabric and the bus top, seems like there should be one at least, that said glad to find out that's not the case, saves me another few bucks in the end, but i do also need 100 or so of those stupid little screws ......
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theizzardking wrote:
there's the legend! haha, thanks man good to be back, hope your doing well!

yeah i'm after the alum trim on the bottom and i thought there was a seal between the fabric and the bus top, seems like there should be one at least, that said glad to find out that's not the case, saves me another few bucks in the end, but i do also need 100 or so of those stupid little screws ......

I have a whole bag of the little screws and I have the long side aluminum strips although I don't know how I'd ship them. PM me if you're interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

Bringing an old thread back to the top for a question.

Anyone know the size of the screws used with the aluminum strip that holds the canvas to the roof. The bus I bought was missing the pieces (which I have found) but it was also missing the screws so I have nothing to take to home depot and compare to. I have looked around on various sites like busdepot and don't see the screws listed for sale.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

It seems to me that the screws that fasten the birch panels in a Westfalia are the same-pull one out and see if it screws in the metal top

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and get a box of stainless "0" robertson screws, 1/4" long (squarehead for our friends south of the Canadian border) and a stubby screw driver(yellow handle)..Phillips screws absolutley suck ass.
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Do yourself a favor and get a box of stainless "0" robertson screws, 1/4" long (squarehead for our friends south of the Canadian border) and a stubby screw driver(yellow handle)..Phillips screws absolutley suck ass.

That is the correct size screw for the Poptop canvas trim piece that connects the canvas to the roof?
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
It seems to me that the screws that fasten the birch panels in a Westfalia are the same-pull one out and see if it screws in the metal top

Unfortunately my bus didn't have any of those either so I can't try that.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

Back in the 90's I bought a 69 camper that I still have. It had engine trouble and the guy that was the owner lived in Utah and just wanted to get back home, less the bus. I offered him $300 bucks for it and he countered with $500 saying it had a new canvas, it just wasn't installed. He gave $200 for the tent.

Well, I gave him the $500 and I found out why the tent wasn't installed. I spent 2 or 3 days doing that work, and all I can say is it turned out great and I'll never do another one.

Finding screws is the least of your worries.

Good luck!!!
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Back in the 90's I bought a 69 camper that I still have. It had engine trouble and the guy that was the owner lived in Utah and just wanted to get back home, less the bus. I offered him $300 bucks for it and he countered with $500 saying it had a new canvas, it just wasn't installed. He gave $200 for the tent.

Well, I gave him the $500 and I found out why the tent wasn't installed. I spent 2 or 3 days doing that work, and all I can say is it turned out great and I'll never do another one.

Finding screws is the least of your worries.

Good luck!!!

Thanks? Haha, I am halfway through already. I hav ether canvas attached to the top I just need to attach to the roof.....once I find the right screws.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

Reviveourhomes wrote:
fes wrote:

That is the correct size screw for the Poptop canvas trim piece that connects the canvas to the roof?

The length doesn't matter as much as the diameter of the screw head, You just want to make sure the head fits inside the channel and does not protrude..
I'm assuming your holes are still there from the previous canvas alloy channel?..A trick i did was start all the screws in the roof before the channel install, and take them back out again,This kind of "taps" the holes for screws that might be slightly larger thread and makes it easier to line them up when doing the final install..especially at the corners and the front of the bus where it's tight working quarters.( this is where that stubby screwdriver comes in handy)
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: canvas to roof seals,trim and screws? Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Reviveourhomes wrote:
fes wrote:

The length doesn't matter as much as the diameter of the screw head, You just want to make sure the head fits inside the channel and does not protrude..
I'm assuming your holes are still there from the previous canvas alloy channel?..A trick i did was start all the screws in the roof before the channel install, and take them back out again,This kind of "taps" the holes for screws that might be slightly larger thread and makes it easier to line them up when doing the final install..especially at the corners and the front of the bus where it's tight working quarters.( this is where that stubby screwdriver comes in handy)

Yes, holes are already there from previous screws. Thanks for the info, this was a great help....now headed to Home Depot for screws.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: