Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy side windows
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Westy side windows Reply with quote

Im working on an 84 westy right now for someone and noticed that the side sliders dont have even sized glass in them. The sliding portion represents 2/3 of the opening. Thus it will only open 1/3 of the way. As opposed to my 87s which have even sized glass allowing for it to open further. Safety feature? Just curious.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan, I believe the passenger vans had a larger opening section compared to the campers. The camper windows also had a provision for a screen. mark
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mark is right. The windows on my 91 Westy only open 1/3 of the way.

It came with nylon screens in plastic frames which were sort of broken and always fell out. I replaced them with the metal screen/frame variety from GoWesty and while they work and look much better they do whistle if the windows are open while driving.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mai reason for the 3/4 windows is that the lock handle is at the rear side, so it is easier to reach from the back seat in Westfalias and Weekenders. While passenger vans had the half-half
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vans are passenger vans(or a non factory camper) and the other one is a westy- right?
With the latch in the front like the passenger vans there is no room for the plastic screen to attach. With the camper sliders you give up some of the opening but gain the screen which is more useful if you intend on cooking in the vehicle like you would in a westy.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock Westy windows are a bit of a silly design. They were designed with the 1/3-2/3 layout in order to accommodate the screens which are installed on the inside and without the latch being moved rearward, the latch would hit the screen. IMO, they should have kept the passenger van 1/2-1/2 design and just moved the latch to the very back of the sliding glass or kept the window the same as the passenger van and installed the screen on the exterior like the ASI campers which allows much better ventilation.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks for the info. Good to know more about the various details of different models. Now a good winter project is going to be making outside screens for my pass van sliders.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I see, thanks for the info. Good to know more about the various details of different models. Now a good winter project is going to be making outside screens for my pass van sliders.

Thought about Jalousies? They are the bomb for ventilation in bad weather.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have thought about louvred. In fact im looking at a bay window parts van for a riviera suby conversion coming up. There are two louvred windows in it i have dibs on. Agree on good ventilation. Not as dog friendly for sticking her head out of.
tlbranth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the jalousie windows in my '72 bus and loved them. Here's a question I've seen no answer to: when you park your bus and it's hot outside so you want to leave your side windows and top vent open, how do you prevent someone sticking their thieving hand through the screen and unlocking the slider or passenger door?

1991 Westfailure. 2004 Forester 2.5 engine. 4speed Standard transmission.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some have made the answer to this by installing the sliding windows backwards. then the opening isn't near the unlock knobs.
certainly a short sighted moment in VW design.
tlbranth wrote:
I put the jalousie windows in my '72 bus and loved them. Here's a question I've seen no answer to: when you park your bus and it's hot outside so you want to leave your side windows and top vent open, how do you prevent someone sticking their thieving hand through the screen and unlocking the slider or passenger door?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Westy side windows Reply with quote

if someone wants in the van, regardless of window type, they will get in, a wack with a rock makes quick work of the glass.

a slim jim tool makes quick work of the door lock, if the crook is concerend about the glass.
a crow bar on the wing windows pops them with little effort.

lots of ways to skin this cat if the crook is even slightly motivated to break in.
but I agree, that the sliding window lock near the front does make it easier to get in. freaks me out someone could near silently slide that open while I sleep in my van.,of course if I awaken, he will be looking at the bussiness end of a 9 mm.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: