Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Middle Seat--1966 vs 1967
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Full Middle Seat--1966 vs 1967 Reply with quote

Any difference between the full middles for a '66 and '67 deluxe? I know that the short middles changed. Is the pictured seat appropriate to a '66?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll fit fine.... correct?, no. The main difference is the outermost leg, near the folder section has that diagonal brace... the proper '66 seat doesn't. If you put on the m/s kick panel the brace won't be seen. Smile The grab handles are the same '66-67.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The armrest is totally different on a 67 seat. IRC, the a 66 seat will NOT fit the mounting brackets on the 67.

Lots of good info here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107848&highlight=middle

From the above mentioned thread, courtesy of Lind:

""""'59-'66, the frame and springs are the same.
'52?-'66 the armrest bar is attatched at two points.
'67+, the passenger side leg was located closer to the center giving it a slight overhang.
'67+ diagonal support inside legs.
'67-'68 the armrest bar comes from the back and dead ends. """""

Jazzed, the picture above looks to be the aftermarket seat that was avail from WW. Its based on the 67 (diagonal support leg) yet does not have an armrest.

Last edited by jeffff on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
The armrest is totally different on a 67 seat. IRC, the a 66 seat will NOT fit the mounting brackets on the 67.

Lots of good info here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107848&highlight=middle

Thanks, guys. I know that the '67 short middle armrest is completely different, but the long middle has no armrest attached to the seat, so apart from the diagonal that's going to be covered by a kick panel, I think I'm pretty good to go.
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzed, read my first post. I was editing it when you posted. The pic is of an aftermarket seat.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not the seat in the pic is a WW repro, or an orig., it is a '67 seat. That's what WW repro'd. full seats have no "arm rest" to be different. The '67 seat (pictured) WILL fit in your '66 if it was setup for full length from the factory. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks guys. I did send a deposit for the seat and I'm not certain if the seller even knew it was a repop. For my future edification, how can you tell by just looking at a photo?
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from a photo... and I'm not sure how Jefff can either, unless he knows the seller. My buddy has a WW in his, another buddy w/ a restored orig., both in '67 buses. I can't tell the difference (other than KNOWING which is which). The handles on the seat in your pics are orig. as they were never repro'd. Smile
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
I can't tell from a photo... and I'm not sure how Jefff can either, unless he knows the seller. My buddy has a WW in his, another buddy w/ a restored orig., both in '67 buses. I can't tell the difference (other than KNOWING which is which). The handles on the seat in your pics are orig. as they were never repro'd. Smile

I just spoke with the seller and he's informed me that it IS OG and he'll send some additional photos to prove it after he strips the incorrect fabric off it...and yes, while I guess one could pick up used grab bars for a repopped middle, I am inclined to await further proof. Once those covers are off, is there any way to tell the difference, besides that the springs would be funkier?
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:

I'm just guessing because of the lack of armrests as you mentioned. Doesn't the "filp" part of the seat look funny to you too?

I have a bare WW repop, they are decent enough. I'm going to try a make a armest and use it in my 67.

I could be wrong though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt Very Happy

Jazzed....you mention that you are buying the seat. What are you paying for it?
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
Once those covers are off, is there any way to tell the difference, besides that the springs would be funkier?

If it is a OG seat and someone took off the armrest. There should be evidence that the seat once had an armrest. Very unlikely that someone would take the time to fix the seat properly??

A WW repop is just that a repop. It doesn't look OG. Its nice and shiney black..looks new. There is no "spot" for a armrest. The seat was simply built without one.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
Dave24 wrote:

I'm just guessing because of the lack of armrests as you mentioned. Doesn't the "filp" part of the seat look funny to you too?

I have a bare WW repop, they are decent enough. I'm going to try a make a armest and use it in my 67.

I could be wrong though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt Very Happy

Jazzed....you mention that you are buying the seat. What are you paying for it?
The flipper/foldown looks right to me. I'm confused as to the armrest you keep mentioning... no f/l middle seat has ever come with one. Are you cutting down a WW seat to make a w/t shorty or something? Think . The only armrests I've ever seen are the 3 on the panels... 2 rear 1 middle. The WW is an EXACT copy of a '67 full middle seat. theey left off "the armrest" because there never was one on an orig. seat, of any year (except 2/3 w/t seat, which is not the subject here). My '63 middle looks "shiny and new" after restoring it. You are confusing the hell out of me. Confused
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that a full length middle seat for a 67 bus did NOT come with a armrest Embarassed Learn something new everyday.

Now after rereading Daves post. NO full length middle seat of any year had an armrest!! Holy shit, how embarassing Very Happy

Sorry guys. Next time I'll keep me mouth shut and try not to help.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no... Very Happy , don't keep your mouth shut, and I wasn't chastising, just thought you had some seat I'd never seen before. Learn something new everyday till you die. That's my motto. Wink
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
No no no... Very Happy , don't keep your mouth shut, and I wasn't chastising, just thought you had some seat I'd never seen before. Learn something new everyday till you die. That's my motto. Wink

I know you weren't chastising me. My "try not to help" came across wrong. I should've said that I won't help unless I know what the hell I'm talking about Very Happy
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=815659
Early 2/3 middle w/ armrest
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later model (65) 2/3 middle seat

Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F/L middles, no armrests.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=292597
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=292599
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to add further to the discussion, the '67 short middles with armests did not have the armrest support that hooks into the front of the seat. In that case, the metal ends where the front of the armrest ends.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly... thigh-poker instead of knee-knocker. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: