Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

head gasket blues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some anti-seize on thrads would help, also in the head tq sect of the Bently there is a caution=don't use clicker type tq wrench, idon't like them either in this low tq area.
Phildor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ duderanchero,

Thank you very much for the advice on gaskets, sealants and the like.

It took longer than expected for me to get my van into the garage to begin really working on it, but I've done enough wrench-time to get both heads off. Progress after getting it in the garage was mostly impeded by the need to Dremel and hacksaw off the old, rusted, bolt-head-stripped exhaust!

Sadly, I have nice, deep cracks between the intake and exhaust valves on the heads for three of the four cylinders- so new heads have been added to my shopping (aka WISH) list.

The only upside to that is that I don't need to use bolt extractors to free the remains of the exhaust from the heads- but I will need them to remove a bold that snapped off while removing the water pump (ouch).

Gonna have to do my homework on heads- will probably have to go remanufactured. BusDepot, as always, has the best prices, but I have no idea what that entails about the quality. =/
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, phildor! i recently had to cut my way through those exhaust bolts, too (in order to get at the cat)--it's a hellacious task. i don't even understand how the exhaust corrodes that way.

i discovered the valve cracks, but mine's back on the road anyhow. i took care of most of the time-bombs, but i don't think i'll ever have things 100%--guess that's why i sprang for the premium auto club membership.

i hope you can get yours running again soon! mine didn't enjoy her downtime even a little bit.

and you're very welcome for the advice! this thread is full of good instruction, almost all of it from the people who were kind enough to respond with patience and understanding to my idiotic, frustrated moanings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: