Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overfilling at fill-up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Overfilling at fill-up Reply with quote

searched for filler neck and overfilling etc. the van has always vomited a bunch of gas if left on auto-high at the gas pump. if i manually slow it down around 14 gallons its alright. are the flow volumes higher for pumps then they were in 1986? ive got an 86 gl 2wd. i looked in etka and they list a few different filler necks. mine looks like all the others ive seen at the j.y. I thought i remembered reading that there was a narrow neck for california only that caused this problem but i dont think i have it. mine is pn#251 201 129 which is listed in etka as fuel filler neck with restriction for lead free fuel only.

it seems like after the tank is full the fuel rushes back up the fill neck to fast to activate the pump shut off.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe your missing the ball valve in there, i know the older vanagons were sans ball
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your filler vent tube for blockage
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get the splash at the end as well. My van is an '85 from CA so maybe that's part of the problem - narrow tube, no balls... Embarassed

If I were allowed to fill my own tank here in The Oregon People's Republic I might be able to avoid it, but alas, it is not so. Still, have not noticed any I'll effects from the little bit of spillage. I just ignore it.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few hints in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396064

JMR
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later model filler necks had a ball in a cage at the bottom that prevent the back splash. They show up on the Samba classifieds occasionally. I retrofitted my '87 and love it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all. ill look for the A on the end...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's mentioned in the above link, but on my 84 lifting the nozzle (i.e. pointing more downward) as the fill nears completion seems to resolve the backsplash problem. The ideais to get the end of the nozzle down where the fuel will back up to it as the fill tube fills.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Maybe it's mentioned in the above link, but on my 84 lifting the nozzle (i.e. pointing more downward) as the fill nears completion seems to resolve the backsplash problem. The ideais to get the end of the nozzle down where the fuel will back up to it as the fill tube fills.

The link does mention it, and I'm going to have to try it when next I fill up because my 1990 Westy does it 8 times out of 10. There again, I've got the vapor thing going on too, so a reseal is in order in the near future. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or not Rolling Eyes
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this Topic is Posted.. I have a Question...

I replaced the Gas Tank Gromets, sending unit, seals etc on a couple of Vans but noticed on more then one Van that when I fill up I almost always smell Fuel for a little while afterwards.. Heck with approx 5 rubber groments / seals and many other hose connections in these tanks somethings bound to vent someplace. My thoughts were that perhaps I'm just smelling vapors because like many of us I'm trying to squeeze all the fuel that these small cap tanks can hold so I can travel the most distance I can before fueling up again. Also, considering how the Filler neck meets and enters the tank at a lower level then the high hat expanshions section of the tank perhaps if the Van's not level "which is easy to do, payment, loads etc" we could possibably be filling higher then the filler neck level? Gots to admit these tanks have a funky build and shape thus many air pockets.. After a few miles the smell starts to disapate, and although I searched for any weeps, or leaks none found.
Lastly I notice that it's a 50/50 shot at getting a back splash when filling, so perhaps the best approch is to try to slow the pump down once we think we'll near fill which by the way isn't as easy as we would think because the overfill happens so quickly with the speed of todays fuel pumps. Time is money to the big Oil Companies.
Your Thoughts Question
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said "fuel smelling sneakers"
They nailed it
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhChit wrote:
I replaced the Gas Tank Gromets, sending unit, seals etc on a couple of Vans but noticed on more then one Van that when I fill up I almost always smell Fuel for a little while afterwards..

.. After a few miles the smell starts to disapate, and although I searched for any weeps, or leaks none found.

Lastly I notice that it's a 50/50 shot at getting a back splash when filling, so perhaps the best approch is to try to slow the pump down once we think we'll near fill which by the way isn't as easy as we would think because the overfill happens so quickly with the speed of todays fuel pumps.

On each side of the van under the front wheel wells are the white plastic fuel expansion tanks. They each have two short sections (about 6" long) of 1/4" fuel hose connected to them and these are often overlooked when replacing old lines. These are ofter the culprit when you get the "full tank" smell that dissipates after a while. Replace these four short sections of line (8 clamps) and that will probably solve your problem. A very easy and cheap fix.

and as to your overfill problem, try filling like this:
Tilt the hose like so, to keep the end of the filler in contact with the back flow and let displaced air out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: