Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 street baja
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gman3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: 72 street baja Reply with quote

Well after doing my normal studying in class (cough*** craigslist cough***) i found a 72 listed as a 71 bug for sale for a $1000 came at a rolling car with a engine. Well get to the guys house and ask him about and he said hed owned it than gave to his son who had a kid on the way and didnt have time to wok on it. Asked if i could here it run and he said, its been siting for 6 months and is not getting power at the starter. Also he said he didnt know if the motor still ran or not. So i talked him down to 800 and drove off. 1/2 mile down the rd i told my buddy to pop the clutch and lets see if she fires, well she did and i was happy.

This was Sunday night
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stripped the paint off the top and primed it

And did the best rattle can paint job i could

yes i know i paint on the windows and the seals, well tomorrow i have new seals coming in, except i accidentally ordered for an 71 instead of a 72, so i need to see if they will work or if i need to send back, and ill clean them off now that i have out of the vehicle. also got a carb rebuild for the 34pict3, new distributor w/ electronic ignition, Bosch blue coil, Bosch wire, and Bosch plugs. Took the motor out to clean up and inspect due to a oil leak, left over night and had a little noticeable spot .
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score indeed, looks like it had an oil cooler mounted to the roof, better seal those holes up.
HILLBLAZER1326
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start, good luck and keep us posted...
gman3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just getting some sanding in this morning before it got too hot, later today should have my universal turn signal coming in and a trailer lighting kit. also need to get some spray in or roll in bed liner for the headliner cuase i dont like looking up and seeing bare metal
HILLBLAZER1326
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on the Chirco website Baja build project they used Gray foam for a headliner and it looked killer...I wud def not use roll on bedliner, I think it is too hard to work with...check out the Chirco Baja Bug Build page you might like it
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gman3850 wrote:
just getting some sanding in this morning before it got too hot, later today should have my universal turn signal coming in and a trailer lighting kit. also need to get some spray in or roll in bed liner for the headliner cuase i dont like looking up and seeing bare metal

Look at my build thread link below for a different installation option for the headliner. I've also seen people use a thin felt like carpet and looks good

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
gman3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well pulled my carb off to rebuild and unfortunately i has shaft play so looks like i need to get a new one
gman3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well got the wiring for the turn brake and night lights, except for when my lights are on the turn signal is uber slow, why would this be
gman3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got a question so i got everything bolted back up i have a new carb, new dizzy with electronic ignition, new bosch blue coil, new ngk plugs gapped to .25, and new wires. I have static timed it to cylinder number 1 i think its wierd to get to tdc at cylinder 1 i am at bdc on the after market pulley, could someone accidentally installed upside down
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: