Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bonneville Ghia 2011 Progress
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Britt, I've left you a couple messages over that past several months... glad to see you are getting the big engine together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
Really, I somehow missed them. Now 1 month ago about I dropped my cell in the river while fishing and it took 3 weeks to get it back. How are you? I'm in Ireland or I'd give you a call. I'm really sorry I missed 1 but more than 1 message is horrible, I apologize.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
ARAGNA48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: engine update Reply with quote

Hey britt, I'm going to start on the breather box this week, also, we plan on making more dyno pulls when Geoff gets free. (Ronnie, I will let you know what night if you wanna come down.) We had to take a break after the po-po showed up last week when we were making some thunder in the wee hours!! Shocked Hope all is well in Ireland!!

Matt A
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I found a Berg welded and balanced fan here in Ireland I'll bring home for after the race. Thank Geoff also! I'll send $$$ via PayPal.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
ARAGNA48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Britt, one less piece of the puzzle. I recieved the PayPal today, thank you, I will use that to square up with Ollie's for notching the pistons. Keep it coming! Cheers!

Matt A

1977 911S
1970 panel
1969 auto stick
ARAGNA48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, here is a couple of pics from tonight's Dyno session. We are still in the process of making adjustments and tracking the numbers. The foward progress continues! Cheers,

Matt A

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

engine on Geoff's dyno

showing Geoff how nice the oil looks and of course the Pauter eye candy!

adjusting the valves

the Gene berg 2" header we tried tonight!

1977 911S
1970 panel
1969 auto stick
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I really wish I were there to hear this beast run with the big header. Thanks for all of the hard work Matt and Geoff. I'll be down on Sunday the 11 th with the car to fit the engine.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Britt you must have shook the money tree real hard Wink Do I need to bring my gloves to help out on this?
WOW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Geoff Hart has stepped up big time as my money ran out. Geoff is excited about this project and has "loaned" the whole top end from his engine including his MSD ignition and 52mm carbs! I own the longblock and after the event the engine comes out and goes back to Geoff's shop and my 48mm Webers go on and I save more dosh for fan shroud, ignition etc. Many thanks to Geoff and Matt. Sure come on with us you are on the list as crewbut you won't need gloves because it may get busy in the engine compartment with Geoff and Matt in there. Cool
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat

Last edited by Roadcow on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Britt, if I remember right the limit on the short course is 139mph. 'Try' and stay under that or your weekend will be short. Wink Best of luck Britt stay safe.

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lou. safe is the word
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a couple of guys went over last year (the psycho "cart" ) and they got a couple of warnings before they got pulled. I guess 142 at the half was a bit excessive.....at least they slowed to 130 at the mile Shocked

Great to see your effort coming to fruition. It's good to have friends with knowledge and parts!!!! Now if I could just befriend someone on the Baron team, they just posted dyno results in the 4 figures, not including the decimal points Shocked Shocked Shocked

brad
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the car got 2 drivers into the 130 club and I loaned the engine to the Blackline crew who wrenched on their car late into the night Friday to install it. Unfortunately the track was never opened Saturday due to rain. My hat's off to Justin and Colton for their dedication. Thanks to Matt A. and Geoff Hart for a killer engine. May put the car up for sale, nothing left to prove and it will cost me too much to set it up for the 150 mph club( and my interests are with the 1 club) which it certainly will be able to run in. I did almost 140 mph in the standing mile and had to lift, the 150 mph club course is over 2 miles
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:
Well the car got 2 drivers into the 130 club and I loaned the engine to the Blackline crew who wrenched on their car late into the night Friday to install it. Unfortunately the track was never opened Saturday due to rain. My hat's off to Justin and Colton for their dedication. Thanks to Matt A. and Geoff Hart for a killer engine. May put the car up for sale, nothing left to prove and it will cost me too much to set it up for the 150 mph club( and my interests are with the 1 club) which it certainly will be able to run in. I did almost 140 mph in the standing mile and had to lift, the 150 mph club course is over 2 miles

Britt did a 139.750 and a 134. The track starter and others stated it was the fastest carburated air cooled to ever reach those speeds on the mile at Bonneville. My hats off to Britt for what he did and to Matt and Geoff for building a strong reliable engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Britt!!!!!! You was flyin' Congrat's on a job well done. How did the car feel at that speed?

I know a guy that can build you a cage for less than the price of your cylinder heads. And, I know another guy that has all the SFI safety gear you'll need for the 150 club. He'll even be down next year with his buggy..... Very Happy

brad
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad! Wish you guys were there, your name was bantered around a bit though. Stop tempting me now! Twisted Evil Cool The Ghia was rock solid at speed, no lightness or even figity, went straight as an arrow.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britt,
Way to go. It was great to see that car run. To bad the weather didn't co-operate more Friday and Saturday.
If you do run in the 150 MPH class, count me in as a crew member, I need my salt fix more than twice a year Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:
Thanks Brad! Wish you guys were there, your name was bantered around a bit though. Stop tempting me now! Twisted Evil Cool The Ghia was rock solid at speed, no lightness or even figity, went straight as an arrow.

Glad to hear the car was good. I'm sure their was some cursing and nashing of teeth when my name was mentioned eh??? Laughing

Seriously though buddy couldn't be happier for you. Congrats. Just wish I was there to see it. Thought about you all this week and how much fun it was last year.

Let me know if you want to use the suit next year. I'll get some fire proof undies to wear under it Laughing (you'll have to do the same LOL)

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Britt,
Way to go. It was great to see that car run. To bad the weather didn't co-operate more Friday and Saturday.
If you do run in the 150 MPH class, count me in as a crew member, I need my salt fix more than twice a year Laughing

Thanks Rick! It was great to see you out there again helping everyone. You are certainly part of the team.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Brit in becoming the very first air-cooled VW to gain entry into the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association's '130mph club'! Also, on being the single fastest Ghia on the salt this week!

The USFRA has these entry level class for fully licensed, registered and insured street vehicles called 130mph and 150mph club.

The Geoff Hart Racing engine was still warm, when Brit threw me the keys and said, "hey, go have some fun". And fun it was... from the mandatory sub-100mph 'calibration pass' that felt great, then back-to-back 138.25mph, then 138.75mph passes, the Ghia performed flawlessly, handled is if it were on a string.

I'm now the second driver to gain 130mph Club status in an air-cooled VW.

Big thanks to Brit for affording me the opportunity to jump in the Bonneville Ghia, and also gain entry in the 130mph club on the salt this week! What a thrill, thanks again, pal! Big thanks to buddy Greg Urrutia, for crewing for me, friend Geoff Hart and his bud Matt for building a stump-puller of an engine, that needed almost no tuning. BTW, that engine had more in it, I saw 141mph on the GPS at .8 miles and pedaled it as to not get disqualified for going through the traps at over 140. It could have easily gone 145plus if I stayed in it Shocked

One car, one day, one engine, two drivers in the record books should also be some sort of record... thanks again, Brit!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: