Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got a single cab!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

thericklang wrote:
baby snakes. Im so happy to see this project is still alive. You and I bought 69' SCs around the same time. I have barely looked at mine in few years as well... I hope this bus gets back on its feet soon!

Thanks, me too.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

Merling wrote:
Like what you did with those torsion arms. I'm getting to that point on my bus and am was debating removing them but not sure what can of worms that opens. Is it as simple as unbolting? From what I can tell there may be a busing in there, are they available?

Can of worms? Hahahah.....this entire project has been nothing but. Cool Yes the radius arm (torsion arms) unbolt. They do have a bushing.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211501121
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

Merling wrote:
Like what you did with those torsion arms. I'm getting to that point on my bus and am was debating removing them but not sure what can of worms that opens. Is it as simple as unbolting? From what I can tell there may be a busing in there, are they available?

There are bushings in there, yes. My builder had some machined in Delrin by a machinist friend of his.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

No more hula hoops. Got some color on the back prior to folding the lip on the bed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For those interested the color is mango-ish. I know not a Bay color but I thought I would go down a different road considering all the stuff on the truck that is not original. Haters go on and hate. Razz
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

Should have posted this before the last batch.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

Well Jerry has the dogleg from KF tacked in and is trying to get the door gapped. I need a few front door shims. I don't want to use washers, i'd like to use the correct pieces. They are shaped like an "E". I searched my spare parts stash and came up zilch. If anyone has any shims lemme know. I'll buy them from you. (Yes I searched the classifieds).
Thanks,
Erik
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

Lower nose is put together. The inner and middle panels as well as the lower "A" pillar bits are from Schofield and the outer panel is Klassic Fab.

Chilling with Jim Morrison and Robbie Krieger.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

please tell me you're not panel painting the truck.

i don't care if the paint came out of the same 55 gallon drum...air temp, humidity etc will never align again. it will look like a squad car.

best thing to do is paint all the hard to reach parts and do a drop coat to tie it all in as your last coat.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

Huh. Maybe that is why my doors all have paint problems. They were not painted with the rest of the truck. The color is good, but the prep failed and the paint is bubbling in large bubbles just below the beltline.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

i learned this the hard way...

panel painting is suicide, plain and simple. 1000x worse with metallic paint.

anyway after getting connected with some 100k+ restorers it confirmed my suspicions.

one thing is say you paint the shell, but you have to do the doors and hood...but they need work. the amount of product sprayed on those panels can change the hue/tint of the color.

when you see a car being painted and say the doors, hood, trunk are all hanging in the booth that is the 'color coat' then 99% will bolt the car together and do a 'drop coat' to tie in all the paint.

then, you blow the car back apart to do clear. single stage is a little different but same basic procedure.

paint is funny stuff. too many factors change the color. that and say you paint something, let it sit for months on end then finish painting the paint/clear naturally 'dies back' and that will cause a mismatch as well.

i saw the episode of 'iron resurrection' when the did this C-10 and about puked the way they painted it.

let's see who else picks up on the color mismatch. if i picked it up on TV then you KNOW it's REAL bad in person

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i learned this the hard way...

panel painting is suicide, plain and simple. 1000x worse with metallic paint.

anyway after getting connected with some 100k+ restorers it confirmed my suspicions.

one thing is say you paint the shell, but you have to do the doors and hood...but they need work. the amount of product sprayed on those panels can change the hue/tint of the color.

when you see a car being painted and say the doors, hood, trunk are all hanging in the booth that is the 'color coat' then 99% will bolt the car together and do a 'drop coat' to tie in all the paint.

then, you blow the car back apart to do clear. single stage is a little different but same basic procedure.

paint is funny stuff. too many factors change the color. that and say you paint something, let it sit for months on end then finish painting the paint/clear naturally 'dies back' and that will cause a mismatch as well.

i saw the episode of 'iron resurrection' when the did this C-10 and about puked the way they painted it.

let's see who else picks up on the color mismatch. if i picked it up on TV then you KNOW it's REAL bad in person

Sort of follows the WWII camouflage for ship design. Maybe they were trying to prevent a torpedo attack... . Laughing

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

please tell me you're not panel painting the truck.

i don't care if the paint came out of the same 55 gallon drum...air temp, humidity etc will never align again. it will look like a squad car.

best thing to do is paint all the hard to reach parts and do a drop coat to tie it all in as your last coat.

Don, I get it. You did not need to preach to the chior. I was not too keen when I saw the back was painted. I have seen other cars he painted the same and they came out nice. I spent a lot of time browsing the paint forum. Honestly I'm about over with this project. I'm ready to roll it off a tall cliff, but we don't have cliffs here in south Florida much less hills. I need to get the rest of the metal work done so I can put on the front suspension so I can roll it. At that point I'll have to measure the level of motivation. I've literally been thinking about getting rid of EVERYTHING VW.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Sort of follows the WWII camouflage for ship design. Maybe they were trying to prevent a torpedo attack... . Laughing

I see sky and water only. No ship. Is this a joke?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

please tell me you're not panel painting the truck it will look like a squad car.

Maybe I should do it. What style? Dragnet? Adam 12? Blues mobile? On the other hand I'm kinda partial to the Partridge family.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

i get your frustration with the project....you're good for toughing it out for years as many would have walked by now

i'd make it clear as crystal with the guy...any paint variances and he's re-doing it on HIS DIME. you've come too far to let the ball drop now.

i didn't mean to start anything...many aren't aware of the complications of painting like that

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

i didn't mean to start anything...

Nor did you, I just saw the opportunity to be a smart ass! Twisted Evil
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

More greenish. (Nothing to see here Skills Laughing )

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
<snip>
Honestly I'm about over with this project. I'm ready to roll it off a tall cliff, but we don't have cliffs here in south Florida much less hills. I need to get the rest of the metal work done so I can put on the front suspension so I can roll it. At that point I'll have to measure the level of motivation. I've literally been thinking about getting rid of EVERYTHING VW.

I feel ya, man. You may have been waiting on your longer than the 6 years I waited for my double cab to get finished.

But hang in there! It is going to be SO worth it.

So, the paint is not perfect. Screw it. Drive it. I am driving mine with pain peeling from the doors. I know that once I decide to get a paint pro to deal with it, using the remaining paint I have in the can, it is not going to be a perfect match. But so be it. It is not a show car. It is a fun car. And boy, is it fun.

You are definitely climbing out of the hole now. Keep climbing!

BTW, we have some excellent cliffs and canyons here in New Mexico. People have been known to drive their vehicles over the edge at a high rate of speed.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
More greenish. (Nothing to see here Skills Laughing )

your body guy is making my head hurt Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a single cab! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

So, the paint is not perfect. Screw it.
BTW, we have some excellent cliffs and canyons here in New Mexico. People have been known to drive their vehicles over the edge at a high rate of speed.

It's not bad at all from what I see, but it hasn't been out in the sun yet. That will be the tell all.

My folks used to live in Phoenix. I remember a particular hair pin up in the mountains with a pile of cars at the bottom of the ravine. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: