Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963: Back in a Beetle again...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates?

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Bmiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going with the build?
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

This IS NOT an April Fools joke. Razz

Been quite sometime since the last update; life gets crazy when you start having kids. The main contributor to the crazy fast pace at the beginning on this project was the fact I didn't have kids...

Been quiet, slow and steady progress; but things are coming together.

The engine has come a long way in three years and the body; bumpers, headlights, chrome, etc. Feel like I'm slowly rounding the corner:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Beetle Ragtop - (Build in progress)
'00 Jetta 1.8T
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

The engine is looking very good! Thanks for the update, and glad you still have the car, and the interest is still there, Snydr.
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Quick update; engine is pretty much done. End play set and I've pretty much buttoned up and torqued down everything else. (Yes, I know I don't have fuel line clamps, WW is sold out right now and my local Ace Hardware doesn't have them small enough).

This thing was torn all the way down; cleaned, machined, balanced and reassembled over the course of FOUR YEARS; I swear it's been no more than two... But I looked at the time stamp of my pictures of the tear down and sure enough, four effing years... that's what having kids will do I guess.

Modest upgrades: 019 from Glenn, 28PICT-1 Carb from Tim at Volkzbitz, 83mm bolt on pistons & cylinders and an alternator. All engine tin is OE German to include the exhaust ...

'00 Jetta 1.8T
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Having gotten this far with the engine, I've started the checklist for it to go back into the car. It's been a long time since I actually devoted any time to the car, it was easy to ignore and take my time on the engine... as that took some considerable VW budget figures to work through.

Taking the time to sit down and think about what needs to happen before the engine goes in though has got me excited for other evolutions; e.g. headliner, glass, ragtop, bleed the brakes, upholstery... and *gasp* dare I say it - drive the darn thing (even if up and down the street) for the first time in YEARS.

So, for the first time in probably a year, I took the cover ALL the way off and pushed the car into the driveway to literally (wash the) dust off. I had almost forgotten what it looked like.

Yesterday I installed the engine bay seal and a new throwout bearing. Next up is installing the pillows and tarboard; then priming the new MC and bleeding the breaks so I can permanently bolt the fuel tank in and start patching the fuel lines through to the back.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

I love that dark grey /silver look inside, but it's lighter outside...still beautiful though.
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Thought I'd take it easy today and start putting the doors back together... turned into one of the most difficult evolutions of the build so far. Thing is, I knew going into this that putting the doors back together was difficult, so I'm not quite sure what I was thinking doing it on a 90 degree afternoon.

The good news is; the drivers door is done and I didn't scratch the paint. The bad news is, I still have the passenger door left to go; cut my hands at least 3 times and my fingers are killing me.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Oh my; look what showed up yesterday. Guess I'm not finished with the engine after all.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

That looks nice and shiny. What is it?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Dat be a bitchin supercharger Very Happy
Lookie like Judson.
charliesnyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Dude ya done yet???
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

charliesnyder wrote:
Dude ya done yet???

Quite honestly; at this point I'll never be done. Laughing

Here's a picture; I'm test fitting the Judson. I do have an alignment issue causing the Judson pulley belt to rub the Generator Pulley (about a 3mm overlap). I've come to the conclusion the my Manifold is tweaked causing the Judson to sit too far back (leaning towards the front of the car) which pulled the belt out of alignment.

I've got another stock manifold inbound from Branston so we'll see how that stacks up. I've already tweaked my current manifold back so the Judson lines up as it should. So if the Manifold from Branston doesn't work out, I'll insure the neck of my current manifold has a good weld (after tweaking it back into place).

As you may also notice; I tossed the Alternator for a generator so the Judson would fit and I've also installed a Vintage Speed stainless exhaust. This also includes tossing the heater boxes and installing J tubes from vintage speed as well. This car will not be driven in the winter, so I don't car about heat. All my tin has the provisions for the heat tubing; so I will be reinstalling the tubes from the fan shroud to the lower tin to keep "the look."

* Yes, I know the tensioner for the Judson belt is out of spec in this image. It's just swung up to be out of my way while I was tightening bolts and such.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Snydr wrote:
charliesnyder wrote:
Dude ya done yet???

This also includes tossing the heater boxes and installing J tubes from vintage speed as well. This car will not be driven in the winter, so I don't car about heat. All my tin has the provisions for the heat tubing; so I will be reinstalling the tubes from the fan shroud to the lower tin to keep "the look."

Sorry, but I think you'll have to block the shroud tubes and the rear breastplate holes, even if you keep the hoses for looks. Originally that air went to the heater boxes, it didn't waste itself funnelling to ground.

It's easiest to just cap the shroud tubes and plate under the breastplate holes.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

pbenn wrote:
Snydr wrote:
charliesnyder wrote:
Dude ya done yet???

This also includes tossing the heater boxes and installing J tubes from vintage speed as well. This car will not be driven in the winter, so I don't car about heat. All my tin has the provisions for the heat tubing; so I will be reinstalling the tubes from the fan shroud to the lower tin to keep "the look."

Sorry, but I think you'll have to block the shroud tubes and the rear breastplate holes, even if you keep the hoses for looks. Originally that air went to the heater boxes, it didn't waste itself funnelling to ground.

It's easiest to just cap the shroud tubes and plate under the breastplate holes.

Maybe I'm missing something?

You can see in the picture, I plugged the shroud tubes already. I’ll put the hoses over them to the tin just to keep up appearances.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

I think it might be done... now, to pull the transmission one more time to fix a leaky axle boot before the engine goes back in.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Snydr wrote:
... now, to pull the transmission one more time to fix a leaky axle boot before the engine goes back in.

WOW . . . looks great! Nice job! Cool

FWIW . . . for the axle boot . . . on my ragtop, I installed the engine, then pushed the car up on ramps BEFORE tightening my axle boots . . . I wanted them to be in the natural (normal ride height) when clamped!
Do not over tighten the screws on the seam and do not place the seam straight up.

I used VW (Mexico) axle boots . . . dry for a couple weeks and the left side started to seep . . . the wimpy clamp at the large end of the boot was self destructing . . . probably from my over tightening it.
Replaced the bad clamp with a better clamp and it has stayed dry as a bone!

All the best on yer project . . . keep up the great work! Very Happy
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:

WOW . . . looks great! Nice job! Cool

FWIW . . . for the axle boot . . . on my ragtop, I installed the engine, then pushed the car up on ramps BEFORE tightening my axle boots . . . I wanted them to be in the natural (normal ride height) when clamped!
Do not over tighten the screws on the seam and do not place the seam straight up.

I used VW (Mexico) axle boots . . . dry for a couple weeks and the left side started to seep . . . the wimpy clamp at the large end of the boot was self destructing . . . probably from my over tightening it.
Replaced the bad clamp with a better clamp and it has stayed dry as a bone!

All the best on yer project . . . keep up the great work! Very Happy

Thanks for the tip/your experience; I'll keep that in mind. I also want to re-do the gaskets where the axle tubes meet the transmission. I just don't have a good feeling about it... or maybe it's just the anxiety of the engine close to going in and I want to double check everything before taking that next step. It's been well over two years since I put that tranny in.

'00 Jetta 1.8T
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to X2 on the WOW! factor.
Beautiful workmanship Snydr!

Any chance you'll make any car shows this coming season?
I'd love to see this in person. Cool

If the rest of the car looks as nice as the engine, it's gonna be a show winner.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963: Back in a Beetle again... Reply with quote

Looks awesome Snydr!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: