Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snapped bolt, any ideas?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Snapped bolt, any ideas? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bolt snapped. Must've been a bad bolt because I was only using a 3/8th drive Craftsman and I'm not that strong. It's located in the worst of spots, in the rear on the arm that comes out of the chassis, where the body bolts back on. It's sticking out maybe 2 or 3 mm, and I only have about 7 or 8 mm to reach in.
How screwed am I? I want to avoid removing the body again because the chassis was kind of messed up making it incredibly difficult to bolt it back up on the heater channel bolts (rest of the stuff went on easy)
pitterpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I snapped a bolt in a bad spot on a 72 Chevy Truck I had....I swear I did this not making it up. I used JB Weld to put it back together and then I used Aerokroil to soak it in and took it out w/vice grips. I let the JB Weld cure for the entire 24-48 hrs b/4 I messed with it.

Matter of fact I kept the bolt and I saw it a couple of weeks ago. If I can find it again I will take a pic of it and post it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen John Henry's page?

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqtool.htm

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you place a nut over it and fill it with a MIG welder?

I have used this technique several times. The heat generated usually loosens the remaining bolt.
forkzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a flat washer over the stub and weld it to the broken bolt. Next, place a 3/8 nut on top of the just welded washer, and wait a minute for the heat to absorb into the casting around the broken bolt, then turn it out. This usually works. It can be done to a bolt that breaks flush. Good luck!
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitterpat wrote:
Once I snapped a bolt in a bad spot on a 72 Chevy Truck I had....I swear I did this not making it up. I used JB Weld to put it back together and then I used Aerokroil to soak it in and took it out w/vice grips. I let the JB Weld cure for the entire 24-48 hrs b/4 I messed with it.

Matter of fact I kept the bolt and I saw it a couple of weeks ago. If I can find it again I will take a pic of it and post it.

JB Weld held strong enough for you to get the bolt out? Amazing! I wouldn't think it would hold strong enough to take more torque than the busted bolt could.
I threw an ad on craigslist, I'll see if I can get someone over to try the MIG deal. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
pitterpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
pitterpat wrote:

JB Weld held strong enough for you to get the bolt out? Amazing! I wouldn't think it would hold strong enough to take more torque than the busted bolt could.
I threw an ad on craigslist, I'll see if I can get someone over to try the MIG deal. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Yes, but I let it cure at least the 24 hrs is says to. I'll look for the bolt tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Can you place a nut over it and fill it with a MIG welder?

I have used this technique several times. The heat generated usually loosens the remaining bolt.

x2

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if someone is local to me and they can help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it (and compensate for it, too) Wink
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to reach in to get to it, you'll have a heck of a time getting a welder in there. I'd try soaking with Kroil oil or PB Blaster for a couple day's and trying a good set of vise grips.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weld a nut or washer to it and be done with it.

it WILL come out.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
engineerscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schell '59 wrote:
weld a nut or washer to it and be done with it.

it WILL come out.

x2. Put a nut on the end, looks like you could even engage a thread or two, then weld the inside of the nut to the stud. This is the way that works most consistently for me. I've played around with ez-outs in the past and never had much luck. Once I got a welder and learned this method I never even considered using an ez out again.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Since I didn't have a welder and I seemed to scare everyone who emailed me about it on craigslist off, I decided to take a simpler approach. I lifted the body up a bit and just drilled the bolt out, stuck a nut underneath, and that was that. Took ten minutes and it was good to go again.
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to heat the bolt with a oxy acetylene torch 1/4 white hot tip and make the bolt read not the threaded When this happens the bolt will expand and crush the rust.
Then soak it - maybe wire feed a turnable washer to it or draw file a slot with a hack saw and turn it out with a screwdriver

Jerry
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red hot

sorry
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn,,, I am on narcotics from a back injury-
After heating let it cool completely and soak it with blaster -two hours - maybe even some ice on the bolt.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way he got it out...

...welding a nut to it is much faster and does the exact same..it's common sense. if he doesn't have a oxy/ace then he isn't loosen ing anything!

the heat created from the welder is going to loosen it up..so no need to create a slot and wled a flat washer in if you can weld a nut to it yes?

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: