Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My heat exchanger restoration project updated 10-1-11
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I got some more work done. (It's going very slowly as I have umpteen other projects going on.) I made some semi-circles out of metal and then brazed them on around where the manifold pipes enter the heat exchanger, this thing should be leak proof now! And best of all, since the brazing metal is brass, it won't rust! Perhaps it's even better than VW made it in the first place.

So here's some pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brazing is not very pretty, but it sure works! It's great for situations like this where the metal is far too thin to weld.

Here you can see the brazing detail. The rust hole went up onto the tube for the pipe so I made this piece a little longer to cover it up.

Some of you might be thinking that the pipe may get too hot for that brass. Ratwell's site showed that the pipe temperature after a long drive on the highway was right around 700 degrees. That brass doesn't melt until it is 1100 degrees, so I think it should be OK.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)

Last edited by tootype2crazy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be Ok. Once it is painted it will look nice.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finished the heat exchanger. I gave it an acid dip in phosphoric acid overnight. Phosphoric acid is very gentle to the intact metal, and turns all the rust black. It also has the benefit of protecting the metal from further rusting if it is not washed off. So the inside of the exchanger should be a little better protected than if it were just bare metal. The phosphoric acid can be picked up at Home Depot for $15 a gallon in the paint aisle. It can be diluted up to 1:3 with water if necessary.

So after I dipped it I painted it with VHT flameproof black paint. Gave that a bake in the oven and here's the result:

The underside looks different, because on the last bake (which I did with the self cleaning cycle on my oven, because it requires 650 degrees) flames popped out of it. It seems there was some left over oil inside that I could not get out that ignited and burned off. No harm was done though, the oven was fine and the flameproof paint lives up to its name. The smoke, however, did stink the house up to high heaven. I'll probably rethink that next time. Luckily the wife was out shopping all day; at least I think luckily (I haven't seen what she spent yet!)

1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Quote:
Luckily the wife was out shopping all day

You are a bold man. I would never admit in print that I used the oven for any VW related activity. They have ways of finding out!!

I have done this in the past and the patches have held up very well.

I inherited a high compression 1.7 (411/914) recently with some Bus heat exchangers attached that need a bit of work so I think I will get out the 22ga. metal and do some brazing. You just have to trim the rusted metal back far enough to get a good surface to braze.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my wife is really great about such things. She enjoys the VWs as much as I. On our first date my pertronix electronic ignition broke rendering the bus totally immobile. She knew what it was all about right then and there. Fortunately, love is a very strong and sometimes unreasonable emotion, allowing one to see through the faults and eccentricities of others.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, big time odors when you bake it in the oven. Stinks the house real well. But that's the best way to get a good long lasting cure. The outgassing of the vapors and stink ends when the paint has completed curing.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this wasn't the first time I baked exhaust parts. It was, however, the first time oil was in them, which significantly augments the obnoxious odors. Not to mention the burning oil smell hangs around for a long, long time. If I ever do this again, I will heat the whole thing up with a blow torch before painting to burn out those nasties.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son painted our carb intakes with a high temperature paint. He waited until my wife was gone before he cured the paint in the oven. Fortunately, I was not involved in any of this so I got no blame for this.
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Ok, I finished the heat exchanger. I gave it an acid dip in phosphoric acid overnight. Phosphoric acid is very gentle to the intact metal, and turns all the rust black. It also has the benefit of protecting the metal from further rusting if it is not washed off. So the inside of the exchanger should be a little better protected than if it were just bare metal. The phosphoric acid can be picked up at Home Depot for $15 a gallon in the paint aisle. It can be diluted up to 1:3 with water if necessary.

how well does the acid react with alluminum

remember most of the inside of heater boxes is alluminum "not steel"

many of us forget this, when cleaning, restoring heater boxes
many good chemicals that are used for rust removal
have bad reactions to allum

id like to remind everyone to read the warning label on the back of any
acid or chemical & look for warnings against using on allum

9 out 10 products that i have looked at will warn against using on allum

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phosphoric acid is as easy on aluminum as it is on steel. It etches the surface slightly, but does nothing more than that. It is commonly used on aluminum to prepare for painting, it textures the surface just a little. To be more precise, the acid reacts with the aluminum to form aluminum oxide. This occurs only at the top layer of the aluminum. The oxide then serves to protect the underlying metal. It's a crude form of anodizing at a very basic level. Ask any radiator shop and they can tell you phosphoric acid is the one to use on aluminum. That's why I chose it over sulphuric or muriatic acid, which work much faster on steel and destroy aluminum. Sulphuric and muriatic acid also set off a chain reaction in steel to cause further rusting if all the acid is not neutralized. Phosphoric acid leaves a layer of ferric oxide on the steel, thus preventing corrosion.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)

Last edited by tootype2crazy on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
phosphoric acid is as easy on aluminum as it is on steel. It etches the surface slightly, but does nothing more than that. It is commonly used on aluminum to prepare for painting, it textures the surface just a little.

I certain wouldn't work to much about the acid doing serious damage to the aluminium. If it were thin aluminium stock, that would be different, but a thick casting isn't going to be hurt all that much.

The only part of your whole repair that I would worry about is if the pipes themselves have reached the end of their service life and shouldn't be used any longer. I just did a temporary repair to one of mine, welding up a hole in the pipe insitu. The flange itself is about gone as well. Will be changing the boxes out as soon as I can down the bus for a while, definitely before winter.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Yep, big time odors when you bake it in the oven. Stinks the house real well. But that's the best way to get a good long lasting cure. The outgassing of the vapors and stink ends when the paint has completed curing.

Isn't there an asbestos pad in OG exchangers.... So there's a phosphoric acid soaked asbestos mat in there? And the original poster baked it inside? Wifey would be pissed.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my wife knows and is fine with it. In fact she said she is looking forward to having good heat. I trust the asbestos pad, if there is one, is completely soaked in oil, as my exchangers were chock full of engine oil leaking prodigiously into the fan shroud. Oil was actually running out of the inside when I took them off. Acid has no affect on oil, and therefore would not have touched the pad. Also asbestos is known for being a fireproof material and 600 degrees would have no affect on it other than heating it up.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:

Isn't there an asbestos pad in OG exchangers.... So there's a phosphoric acid soaked asbestos mat in there? And the original poster baked it inside? Wifey would be pissed.

What harm would there be in heating up the asbestos pad? None that I am aware of. Drying it out, grinding it up, and then breathing it in may not be good, but I don't thing just heating it up will cause much of any problem.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly, if heating it up were a problem, all of us bus drivers would be in big trouble with our heaters on!
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:

What harm would there be in heating up the asbestos pad? None that I am aware of. Drying it out, grinding it up, and then breathing it in may not be good, but I don't thing just heating it up will cause much of any problem.

What harm would there be in baking a clean new asbestos pad? Relatively low risk I imagine. Hell they used them to heat food back when.

What harm would there be in baking a 40 year old, possibly degraded, oil soaked asbestos pad that had recently been dipped in phosphoric acid? Not a chemist, but sounds not so good for an oven that i eat food out of.

(As a side note the finished product looks great!)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: My Heater Box Restoration thread finished 12.4.11 Reply with quote

I got the heat exchangers installed just in time for winter. I also sealed and insulated every single bit of duct that I could. And I restored my flapper boxes with a dip in the phosphoric acid and some new springs and a new paint job. What a difference!

First of all the volume of air that now comes out of the vents is truly amazing. In all my other buses I could barely feel it moving, but now I can actually feel a good push of air coming out of there. And I installed a booster fan under the front floor. So my bus now has 'low' and 'high' heat.

Then there is the temperature. On a 30 degree day the heat will get warm at an idle in about 2 minutes. Once I am driving around town it will heat up to about 110 degrees. When I get on the highway and get those constant high revs going, it will hit about 125-130 degrees. Might as well be a water-cooled car.

Lastly, the smell. There is none. When I first installed them there was a little paint smell probably from the fresh paint. But now there is absolutely zero smell. My passengers couldn't be happier. In fact, one of them actually asked me to turn down the heat the other day because she was getting too hot. That is the greatest compliment I could get.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not into the Type 4 motors myself, but if someone would pony up the money then Dansk will supply you the 2 halves for the heater boxes. I have done this for the Type 1, and I believe the order was for either enough to make 50 units or 50 pairs. The flanges are the fold over style, and you can get a fitting for an air chisel to fold it quickly, or a manual tool and a mallet. I don't know if Dansk would make them in stainless to order- but I believe a high nickel content is required to make it easily bendable. Could be a nice little business venture for someone!
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool! ill have to look into brazing...i need to do this badly!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazing is easy Stuart. If you have ever sweated copper pipes for plumbing it's much like that only hotter. Not as hot as welding though.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: