Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Switching off rear speakers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Switching off rear speakers Reply with quote

Wondering if it is as easy as I think it to be?

Last trip, being 4 plus hours each way, my 4 year old started snoozing. Of course with the windows open, wind noise and such, we had audio up higher (so we could hear it), but when he awoke cranky because music was too loud it got me to thinking.

I like the idea to install a switch, a power switch, that will turn off the rear speakers by way of shutting down power to rear speaker amplifier. That way the wife and I can enjoy our music with the front 6 speakers without having the rear 4 speakers blaring away keeping the kid cranky.

Any thoughts on my logic? Should work I would think?

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most stereos have a fader where you can basically turn off the rear speakers. If you're still running the stock deck I don't know if they have it but a decent replacement can be had for $100
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, fader = front/rear and balance = left/right

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rlbjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he's got 10 speakers, it ain't a stock deck.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlbjr wrote:
if he's got 10 speakers, it ain't a stock deck.

Umm, I bet he meant a pair of front 6 inch speakers, and a rear pair 4 inch speakers.

4 in total, not 10. (But I'm just guessin' . . .)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 speakers (with 2 more coming)

Front 2 pairs in doors - 4 inch Rockford Fosgates in stock location, 2 tweeters in dash, plus two 5.25 RF's in lower door. Rear - 5.25 RF's in stock location in cabinet and 6x9 RF's in base of bed cabinet.

Front and rears are each powered by an amplifier mounted under front seat. Head unit is an inexpensive Alpine CDA 105.

Tried fader, but seems that amplifiers (unless miswired) fires speakers in front AND back for each amp thereby having both channels from each amp. So in effect I do not have capability of using head unit fader control. Make sense the way I explained it? Has great full sound no matter where you are in the van.

Thats why I was considering a switch to turn off amplifier that fires rear speakers. Maybe I need to analyze the wiring again to see why front channel and rear channel are coming through both zones?

BTW - Sorry for the short information. Typing in on a smartphone is a pain in the ass, but I was waiting on a client.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is pretty simple. The four stock locations are passive, and I have an amped cabinet in the rear.

I have an interrupt switch for the amp remote wire so I can turn off the cabinet, or not load the amp when the cabinet is not in the car. If you are running 10 speakers, I'm guessing you have an amp or two.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/378064.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
10 speakers (with 2 more coming)

Front 2 pairs in doors - 4 inch Rockford Fosgates in stock location, 2 tweeters in dash, plus two 5.25 RF's in lower door. Rear - 5.25 RF's in stock location in cabinet and 6x9 RF's in base of bed cabinet.

Front and rears are each powered by an amplifier mounted under front seat. Head unit is an inexpensive Alpine CDA 105.

Tried fader, but seems that amplifiers (unless miswired) fires speakers in front AND back for each amp thereby having both channels from each amp. So in effect I do not have capability of using head unit fader control. Make sense the way I explained it? Has great full sound no matter where you are in the van.

Thats why I was considering a switch to turn off amplifier that fires rear speakers. Maybe I need to analyze the wiring again to see why front channel and rear channel are coming through both zones?

BTW - Sorry for the short information. Typing in on a smartphone is a pain in the ass, but I was waiting on a client.

The fader on the deck should be controlling the dispersal of sound. Sounds like your audio may be wired incorrectly...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the more I think of it, the more it sounds ridiculous that I cannot control from head unit regardless of hardware between it and the speakers.

Thanks for screwing my head back on. I must have lost it last weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: