Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Type E Kit.. easy install, zero issues! Save yourself some time and buy his 67 dual master cylinder kit. Thanks again Brian.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How much did the kit end up costing after you bought all the other parts?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

pacifcoflyr wrote:
rustednuggs wrote:
I ended up going with the EMPI disc brake kit for the bus, keeping the stock 14s even.

Rustednuggs

Is the quality of the parts really a huge downfall? I would hate to buy that kit and be bummed it was made poorly.

We have the EMPI kit on my 60 double cab and my sons 65 standard and no issues to date. Easy to install with stock wheels. We did upgrade to a German dual master and used the CSP conversion kit which added to the costs.No issues to date.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Replying too d__dles. About $210. All parts needed were ordered from rockauto.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Replying too d__dles. About $210. All parts needed were ordered from rockauto.com

thank you!
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Just installed my second CSP kit. Once again a really straightforward install. I'm a ways away from road testing though.
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I also went with the Type-E Motorsports kit.
It is simple and well made, but most importantly works fantastic.
I run 215/75 BFG all terrains, I still have had no rubbing with the slight increase in offset that comes along with the kit.
I also had a friend get me the wear parts for cost at his shop.
Brian was great to deal with with any questions I had.
Would not hesitate to buy this kit again, and wish I had done it sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tdubz510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Type E Kit.. easy install, zero issues! Save yourself some time and buy his 67 dual master cylinder kit. Thanks again Brian.

Arrow Big fan of this Type E kit's concept and GM part usage. Yours looks like a pre-64 bus.. I have a stock 61..how did you fit his 64-67 Type E kit? brian hasn't responded to a couple emails, yet.. Do you have a narrowed beam or stock beam? I'd love to get a Type E Disk Brake kit, but I need to change spindles and some other things, right? TIAA
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Just finished installing these brakes on a 63 bus with our hydraulic suspension and rack and pinion steering freaking amazing! I’ve installed them all and this is by far the best way to go hands down. The instructions and parts list make it go incredibly smooth as well. We’ll be recommending these for everyone. The idea of using parts designed to be daily driven on a car heavier than a bus is brilliant. You can get better brakes than this at any cost

tdubz510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

demon1018 wrote:

Just finished installing these brakes on a 63 bus with our hydraulic suspension and rack and pinion steering freaking amazing! I’ve installed them all and this is by far the best way to go hands down. The instructions and parts list make it go incredibly smooth as well. We’ll be recommending these for everyone. The idea of using parts designed to be daily driven on a car heavier than a bus is brilliant. You can get better brakes than this at any cost

Nice! That rack and pinion looks and sounds amazing. Does Demon make a full beam with R&P built in, or was it pieced together?
FeveredMind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

tdubz510 wrote:
demon1018 wrote:

Nice! That rack and pinion looks and sounds amazing. Does Demon make a full beam with R&P built in, or was it pieced together?

I got a Type E Motorsports kit for Christmas from my family. Cant wait to install it.

I would love to know what rack they used for this set up.
Mitch Case Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I just had two sets put on my buses. I’m ecstatic how they turned out. One was a 65 the other a 66. Clean and simple everything I needed came with the kit. Obviously i had to buy the required rotors and calipers.
I’d recommend them to anyone.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281851&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428154
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=429578
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439644&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I had the shitty SACO kit on my ‘59 and after five years or so of dealing with warped rotors, rotors coming apart, pulsating pedal I junked it and bought the EMPI kit. I bought quality wheel bearings and used my CSP dual master and the bus brakes like a dream.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I had the shitty SACO kit on my ‘59 and after five years or so of dealing with warped rotors, rotors coming apart, pulsating pedal I junked it and bought the EMPI kit. I bought quality wheel bearings and used my CSP dual master and the bus brakes like a dream.

I'm going to buy a few EMPI sets soon for my earlier buses since Type E is only later. Can you clarify the bearing concerns as far as what it comes with versus the quality bearings you bought?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

For users of AC brand discs, do your brakes take a lot more effort to stop than seems reasonable?
My new set of these brakes, with new shoes and cylinders in the rear brakes feels a bit "wooden". We did set the push rod a bit looser and that helped a tiny bit.
I'm waiting for that wonderful stopping power everyone writes about. It's not here yet. The pedal seems to take too much effort to stop and it's not like applying a lot of pressure on the pedal makes it stop brilliantly.

Chuey
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

I'm going to buy a few EMPI sets soon for my earlier buses since Type E is only later. Can you clarify the bearing concerns as far as what it comes with versus the quality bearings you bought?

It comes with Chinese bearings which most stuff I read is no bueno. I bought German and Japanese ones instead at FLAPS.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
rusty ducktape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I just completed the Type E Motorsports kit on the font of my bus couldn’t be happier with the fit and finish on this kit! No one off rotors ,calipers or pads all off the shelf GM parts, I was able to purchase everything locally. This is the third one I’ve installed but FINALLY on my own bus. Only took two hours in the back yard start to finish.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I too changed over from stock drum brakes on the front of my '67 Westy to the Type E Motorsports front disc brake conversion kit that Brian offers. I saw all the great reviews, I loved the concept that the list of possible wear parts (rotors, calipers and pads) could be found easily and quickly most anywhere if/when needed, that those parts were from heavier cars and are robust and more than needed to consistently stop a Transporter quickly and straight as an arrow, and I found that the instructions with photos were well written giving me the confidence to tackle the job (disc brake work - which to this point I have never dabbled in) with the tools I already have in my shop. And I admit that the very reasonable cost was also enticing.

I ordered the optionally offered new dual-circuit master cylinder with reservoir, as well as a second complete set of Brian's bearing/seals just to carry on-board if ever needed 'em long into the future.

Everything went together beautifully, and appears to all to be the stock front braking system unless they crawl under the Bus to take a look. Which they usually do, as I brag about this safety upgrade to all of my Bus friends!

It's such a relief to be sailing along at speed toward an intersection and knowing that if the streetlight turns yellow that I won't need to panic stomp on the drum brakes and grab for the e-brake handle "just in case" to stop in time. Luckily after only having the disc brake system installed for about two months now I have not yet needed to make any panic stops, but this system seems very up to the challenge!

"Two thumbs up!" Thanks Brian!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I too just installed the type e kit on my 67 so42.

Very happy with it, easy, straightforward.

However the rear seal is a little tricky and you must be careful to insure
The seal lip is maintained and not folded over upon installation of the rotor. Take you time .

The seal lip has a small round spring that holds it in place.

From bullibill photo above it appears the seal is installed inside out. ??

My photos .
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Maybe we can get Brian e to comment.

I want to make sure I have installed correctly as well.

Thanks..... early

From the installation instructions:

"Last, lube and install the wheel seal into the back of the rotor. The seal might look backwards, but it is correct. Make sure the wider part of the tapered rubber lip is facing out. It will need to be able to slide up onto the wider shoulder at the base of the spindle snout. "

"Pack and install the smaller outer bearing in the hub.

-Carefully slide the rotor over the spindle shaft, and rotate it as it gets near the end to help the seal onto its surface. Pay attention to the wheel seal, and make sure it goes up over the large diameter shoulder on the spindle spud. "
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

So which way is correct?

BulliBill wrote:
I too changed over from stock drum brakes on the front of my '67 Westy to the Type E Motorsports front disc brake conversion kit that Brian offers.

Bill Bowman

early wrote:
From bullibill photo above it appears the seal is installed inside out. ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 48

Jump to: