Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying offsets
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Help identifying offsets Reply with quote

I have recently bought a set of these for my 65 Squareback.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know the offset or able to help me measure it myself?
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's been a while since i've had a set of wide 5 fuchs but if my memory wants to say they are et20...ken....
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be ok then?
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballbag wrote:
They will be ok then?

Laughing

maybe? with 185? what is it? 5.5 wide?
king-tuk
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

measure it yourself.

The offset of a vehicle's wheel is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel. It can thus be either positive or negative, and is typically measured in millimeters. Offset has a significant effect on many elements of a vehicle's suspension, including suspension geometry, clearance between the tire and suspension elements, the scrub radius of the steering system, and visually, the width of the wheel faces relative to the car's bodywork.

Zero Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is shifted from the centerline toward the front or outside of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.
Negative Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline.

"Deep dish" wheels typically have negative offset or a very low positive offset.

To maintain handling characteristics and avoid undue loads on bushings and ball joints, the car manufacturer's original offset should be maintained when choosing new wheels unless there are overriding clearance issues.

Wheels are usually stamped with their offset using the German prefix "ET", meaning "Einpresstiefe" or, literally, "press depth". An example would be "ET45" for a 45mm offset.

[edit] Calculating the offset of a wheelFirst, measure the overall width of the wheel (remember, just because a wheel is 18x7.5, does not mean that the OVERALL width is 7.5”. It means that the measurement between the outboard flange and the inboard flange is 7.5”). Next, divide that width of the wheel by two; this will give you the centerline of the wheel.

Overall width/2 = Centerline

After determining the centerline, measure from the hub-mounting surface of the hub to the edge of the inboard flange (if the wheel were laying flat on the ground – face up – your measurement would be from the ground to the hub-mounting surface). This is your back spacing.

Back spacing - Centerline = Offset

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel)"

ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
ballbag wrote:
They will be ok then?

Laughing

maybe? with 185? what is it? 5.5 wide?

I've got some 165/80/15 on my standards already, I might use those. For the fronts I've got some smartcar tyres 145/65/15
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballbag wrote:
They will be ok then?

kind of a loaded question. ALOT of variables to consider there. lowered and if so how much? intended tire sizes? those are the starting point. if you really have your heart set on them the first 2 mods that pop into my mind that will assure you can run them is the bug wide 5 disc swap outlined here in the forums and swaping to bug short axles in the rear. both of those narrow the track about an inch per side. the offset difference between the wide 5 fuchs and stock t3 wheels is about 1". so in effect those 2 mods will put you pretty close to the wide 5 fuchs sitting in about the same location as the stock wheel...ken....
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those 2 tire sizes are deff gonna give you some working room. now whats your ride height?...ken....
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
ballbag wrote:
They will be ok then?

kind of a loaded question. ALOT of variables to consider there. lowered and if so how much? intended tire sizes? those are the starting point. if you really have your heart set on them the first 2 mods that pop into my mind that will assure you can run them is the bug wide 5 disc swap outlined here in the forums and swaping to bug short axles in the rear. both of those narrow the track about an inch per side. the offset difference between the wide 5 fuchs and stock t3 wheels is about 1". so in effect those 2 mods will put you pretty close to the wide 5 fuchs sitting in about the same location as the stock wheel...ken....

I have considered this but, I thought early Type3 axles were the same as early bug anyway?????

I did look at all the other wheel guides (there's many) on here but I got a bit confused Laughing (it's not that hard).
My car is 3, possibly 4 notches at the front??? and 1 inner, 1 outer at the rear.

ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
it's been a while since i've had a set of wide 5 fuchs but if my memory wants to say they are et20...ken....

Now that's a pretty good memory dude Cool

I just measured them using the method advised by King-Tuk above and they are indeed, ET20 Smile

I suppose it would have been easier to just put them on but, I need to swap the tyres over first Laughing
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL type3 is long axle. so no early t3 isn't short like an early bug is short so shortaxle swap can give you some room out back if need be. you could also run bug wide5 stock brake stuff out back to avoid cutting the snouts on t3 wide5 drums. yes t3 brakes are better but since we're talking about rears theres not a HUGE difference. if you were looking for performance braking you'd be going in the opposite direction but for day to day driving it'd do plenty fine. esp if you swap to the 66-67 bug disc kit up front as most say they actually work BETTER than t3 disc.

your car sits just about like my square did before the t1conversion beam. -4" and i now rub the INNER wells pretty good with et25 sprint repops and 145/65/15s. i run 185/65/15 out back at about the same height your car is again on et25 sprints with plenty of room.

i'd probably say swap the tires and bolt them up. then you'll know exactly what you need to do. i may be nothing. or you may have to do one or both of the above to get them to sit just right...ken....
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I changed the tyres over, only to get the wheels jammed when I dropped it on the floor. Needless to say, the wheels have now been moved on. This is a shame really as I really wanted to make them fit but, I couldn't justify all the money to swap over the rear axles etc, etc.

I've now got some Rocket Ind, empi 5's and they have an offset of ET41.

Hopefully they'll look good, polished rims and sort of blasted look on the spokes Smile

I'll get some pics up when they're on Very Happy Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: