Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original replica RHD dash, another one!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

I will send you PayPal money now for a black dash pad for the square I am building. Just need to know an estimated eta for delivery as the car is in the works. Many thanks for all of your efforts!!!! Chadd
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greendragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

68notch wrote:
greendragon wrote:
Fantastic News to start in the new Week.
You´ve seen the Pictures?!? i can send more details if you want to make sure it is the right one. (i am not so familiar with the wrap around and std thing)

meanwhile i prepare shipping. I am very exited about that.

Thank you for doing this!!!

I need to check which dash is best for moulding. I can see the right hand end corner is bent and this could likely be straightened?

Also the speaker area appears to be quite round ?? compared to the flatter right hand side? Is it different or is it just the pictures?

Maybe Notchboys ones are better?

Hello 68notch,

i took some new and detail photos of my dash. I think it is not realy bent. Hope this shows at the pictures!? I have made detail-pics of the "bad-parts". These are very tiny at the edges. So If you think its suitable to mold from i will send it to you, if notchboy has a better one, i am on the list of customers as well. I am in desperate need of a red one. I dont care if there is an aditional fee for coloured ones. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=greendragon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

The top does look ok but this end looks a bit rough.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't regenerate the textured finish on any fix ups.

The new mould can only be as good as the original dash it is moulded from.

What have you got Jason?

68 Aussie notch
2011 Citroen Berlingo

https://www.facebook.com/Fastacraft

RHD dash pad project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475227
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greendragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

This photo shows the same spot. It's not as bad as it seems on the other photo. The texture is still there. It is only a bit split from the ground.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greendragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

Hi there,
Nothing new here since November ...
I'm still interested in sending you my dashboard if Jason does not have any better.
So lets get startet...

Happy New Year,

Henrik
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

greendragon wrote:
Hi there,
Nothing new here since November ...
I'm still interested in sending you my dashboard if Jason does not have any better.
So lets get startet...

Happy New Year,

Henrik

Thank you guys for all your efforts!!!
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

So 68notch did reach out to me on the dash. Problem Im running into is the people that I know that have the dash's want a wrap around style made.

I referenced back to greendragons dash as the mold maker but am not sure if its good enough to reproduce?

So we are stuck again?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top

Last edited by notchboy on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

I too am looking for the wrap around style. Maybe a more comprehensive poll to better understand the demand: Wrap Around or Non-Wrap Around?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

What typically happens and I don't mean to sound derogatory to any group of people - my observation over the years.

The 66 to 73 crowd will have more buyers. That's because the single dash fits all regardless of details will be a better long term seller. Someone with a 71 wont care if they have a dash patterned off a 68. Just as long as it fits, looks stock and is better than what they have.

The 61-65 crowd is smaller but tends to spend more $ if its correct for their needs.

The smart choice for $ based on volume is the 66-73. For the hobbyist the wrap around is more $ at a lower volume.

68notch will have to decide as its his time and effort.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

100% agreed
greendragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So 68notch did reach out to me on the dash. Problem Im running into is the people that I know that have the dash's wand a wrap around style made.

I referenced back to greendragons dash as the mold maker but am not sure if its good enough to reproduce?

So we are stuck again?

If 68notch need more detail pictures to judge if the dash ist good enough to be a mold maker i can take pictures at any wanted angle or distance.

If Jasons dash will be the mold maker i would also buy one of the repops in red! Wink
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
What typically happens and I don't mean to sound derogatory to any group of people - my observation over the years.

The 66 to 73 crowd will have more buyers. That's because the single dash fits all regardless of details will be a better long term seller. Someone with a 71 wont care if they have a dash patterned off a 68. Just as long as it fits, looks stock and is better than what they have.

The 61-65 crowd is smaller but tends to spend more $ if its correct for their needs.

The smart choice for $ based on volume is the 66-73. For the hobbyist the wrap around is more $ at a lower volume.

68notch will have to decide as its his time and effort.

The one thing I'd add to this: The owners of 61-65 cars seeking a wrap around dash will be far more picky about details of the dash being correct before they'll spend the money.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

One problem with that line of thought though, and that's the 71-73 repop dash pad has been available for years, and is different from the 61 thru 70 dash pads. So either do a 66 to 70 style which would cover more people who are looking for something that fits correctly, or just make it for the smaller 61-65 crowd., and do it as a wrap around style, versus the "N" style (which could be used for 66-70).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

One problem with that line of thought though, and that's the 71-73 repop dash pad has been available for years, and is different from the 61 thru 70 dash pads. So either do a 66 to 70 style which would cover more people who are looking for something that fits correctly, or just make it for the smaller 61-65 crowd., and do it as a wrap around style, versus the "N" style (which could be used for 66-70).

Wont a 66 dash fit a 72?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Wont a 66 dash fit a 72?

Not without trimming off the tabs that anchor the front of the dash (where the pad would be screwed down around the dash vents). The 71-73 pad has those tabs removed, and a lip goes into a curved metal lip (an upside down "J"piece) spot welded to the dash near the windshield.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Wont a 66 dash fit a 72?

Not without trimming off the tabs that anchor the front of the dash (where the pad would be screwed down around the dash vents). The 71-73 pad has those tabs removed, and a lip goes into a curved metal lip (an upside down "J"piece) spot welded to the dash near the windshield.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

Can sombody please buy this one and just send it to him so he can make a great quality dash for the rest of us.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2020887
greendragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

Ok, so maybe we can collect the money. If others join, then I'll give $ 150 - $ 200 to make things happen. And I commit to buy at least 2 repop Dashboards. soooo, now ist up to you guys.
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
Can sombody please buy this one and just send it to him so he can make a great quality dash for the rest of us.

I see that dash is listed as a 66-70, it appears to be a wrap around style. What is the difference between a 65 wrap around and a 66-70?
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Original replica RHD dash, another one! Reply with quote

GearheadJim wrote:
galencurrington wrote:

I see that dash is listed as a 66-70, it appears to be a wrap around style. What is the difference between a 65 wrap around and a 66-70?

It's not a wraparound.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: