Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Hey all, total noob question probably. Feel free to direct me to relevant threads if this has been asked before.

I am in the planning and budgeting stages of a 100% restoration of my bug. Currently it is quite rusty and needs a lot of body and paint work (rust holes welded and filled, etc). Currently it has the original paint on the inside, and the exterior has a shitty cheap paintjob on top of the original paint.

I would like to strip the ENTIRE car myself (inside and out, every nook and cranny) down to bare metal and weld it myself or bring it to a body shop to weld in new metal where needed, prime, and paint the thing so I don't have to worry for the next 20+ years. Ideally I would like a very very high quality paint job.

What is the best way to get that amount of paint off quickly and non destructively? Sand with an angle grinder wire brush? How do I stop the car from rusting while its sitting as bare steel waiting for me to strip paint off other panels/waiting to be primed and welded?

What should I expect to pay for a really good paint job once all of the body and metal work is done? Is 10k too low? 15k with body/metalwork perhaps?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Yes, there is quite a few threads on the topic. Here is one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713826&highlight=bare+metal+protect

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
Yes, there is quite a few threads on the topic. Here is one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713826&highlight=bare+metal+protect

Awesome thank you!

Can anyone else chime in about stripping/pricing?

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

For a very very high quality paint job, start at maybe 20K, add metal work, rust repair, for another 10 to 20K.

Sandblasting a naked shell or using a soda blaster service at home is probably 1 to 2K.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Sandblast then get it in epoxy primer. Then do your repairs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Beware of sand blasting. I paid a lot to have a couple bodies sand blasted to get back 2 totaled bodies rendered unbuildible.
Sand blasting with too much pressure causes too much heat and pressure warps panels bad. I spent a year trying to fix one body. Shrinking discs couldn't touch the damage they caused.. Never been so pissed in my life to finally take a sledge hammer and beat the shit out of a 23 window bus in my life. They blasted inside and out and it had warps going in and out. Finally sold the body for $1000 and somebody in the UK bought it from who I sold it to.
Do a media blast that doesn't cause heat and warp. Walnut shell or dustless water/media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Yep. I just had a bus done by a very experienced blaster. They use plastic to get paint off so the heat is minimal and then use sand on only the rust part. Came out perfect and the best $1500 I’ve spent on the bus so far. Was afraid to take it that far but I’m about to shoot color and couldn’t be happier with my first body work/metal replacement/paint job.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Take a look at the areas that rusted out and look at WHY it failed.

it's not rocker science.
if it ain't broke don't fix it.
if is IS broke don't repeat the same thing and expect a different result.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Take a look at the areas that rusted out and look at WHY it failed.

That's the plan. 48 years of paint chips and wear and tear in the wet west coast add up though.

Currently I'm looking at having the car dipped in solution that strips and cures the metal.

nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Check into dustless blasting don't know prices but it seems low risk of damaging the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

[quote="talljordan"]
modok wrote:
...Currently I'm looking at having the car dipped in solution that strips and cures the metal.
I looked into dipping the car as well but the $2000 price tag put me off. It is the most effective way to get EVERYTHING off but it carries the risk of leaving inaccessible aresa bare and prone to future rust. I can see dipping being most effective If the "Dipper" will also e-coat or dip the car in phosphoric acid or some sort of rustproofing.

Bama Dave wrote:
The process I employed in the above mentioned thread followed total paint stripping by chemical means. I used CitriStrip, various putty knives, wire brushes, and coarse scouring pads to remove the paint. The exterior is easy to do but the interior areas will require many hours of scrubbing and scraping with the scouring pads. It is labor intensive but very effective and inexpensive compared to blasting or dipping. PM me if you wnat a more detailed report.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Yes, it is rather expensive but I want to do the job right, and only do it once.

The local company that offers it in my area does some sort of post dip treatment that prevents future rust, it sounds similar to galvanizing.

I've also heard of companies that offer dip primes. They dip your shell in primer, and electrically charge it so that the primer gets applied to everything.

I may end up going this route.

Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Before you strip all the paint off, call around local body shops to see if they will paint a car stripped to bare metal.
Someday I will get around to painting mine ( bare metal now), and I called several shops to just get it over with. (Work, new home, etc. - no time)
Nobody wants anything to do with it when I mentioned " bare metal".

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

BTW, I used Ospho from Jamestown Distributors to coat the entire bare metal body using a cheap brush. I stripped it all off about 4 years ago and it still looks pretty good, just a few little places where very light surface rust has returned.
The car is always in the garage, though.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Sand blasting doesn’t warp metal from heat. If it did the body would be to hot to touch. It does warp it though if not careful. If you know what a planishing hammer is, thats how it warps. Like a million sand size tiny hammer blows against the sheetmetal.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Update to my post above.

Today I went to move the door I had done extensive metal shaping on and found surface rust in the areas I had sanded off the phosphate coating while panel beating. The areas that were not molested were as clean as the day I coated then several months ago.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

Look into dustless blasting. It's ground glass and wont damage the metal. There are plenty of You T. videos to watch on it, and you can go the the main manufacturer and watch videos from their site. Way less work than dipping.
They usu. add a chemical agent that will give you several days of bare metal protection.
If you want more, check Pickle-x. Apparently, you can let it sit a long time if you apply that.
Good luck
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

clarkster75 wrote:
Look into dustless blasting. It's ground glass and wont damage the metal. There are plenty of You T. videos to watch on it, and you can go the the main manufacturer and watch videos from their site. Way less work than dipping.
They usu. add a chemical agent that will give you several days of bare metal protection.
If you want more, check Pickle-x. Apparently, you can let it sit a long time if you apply that.
Good luck

You are correct that DustLess Blasting is a great option BUT it is not a DIY process. You need to find a business that does it.
https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

Olli
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

I don't know what the internal cavity buildup is like with dustless blasting but it is pretty significant with traditional blasting. I blasted my wheel wells and several parts of the interior, and it took quite a bit to get MOST of the crushed glass out. I ended up having to tilt the car 180* (Vertical to vertical) on the rotisserie and apply compressed air and vacuum to get the media out. Every time I alternated sides more media would drop out. In some areas I ended up using a 3' length of 3/8" tubing with a nozzle on the end to blow out the cavities then vacuumed it out with a 3' length of 1/2" I.D. hose. Tedious and time consuming but worth it.

I imagine the condition is only made worse by the addition of water. Does the water/glass mix create a muddy buildup in tight spaces? If so. it may lead to future moisture retention in spaces where it is not completely removed. This paragraph is more an inquiry than a cautionary tale since I have no first hand knowledge.

-----
Emil

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

just as a reference point, I was quoted $2200 and $2500 by two dustless blasting companies to have my bare bus body stripped.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: