Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump Woes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Woes Reply with quote

Went out to start the '66 today and it wouldn't start. Plenty of gas, but I noticed none in the fuel filter. Took off both lines from the fuel pump and determined the line to the filter is clear, and that there's plenty of gas flowing through the line from the tank. Could this be anything but the fuel pump? I suppose I could measure the pushrod, but that seems pretty unlikely, no? The gasket is pretty funky, but it wasn't leaking. If there's anything else I should be checking, would appreciate input.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the end of the line from the pump to carb in a soda bottle and crank for 15-30 seconds, if it pumps a fair bit of gas into the bottle suspect the needle and seat in the carb, it may be sticking shut.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Put the end of the line from the pump to carb in a soda bottle and crank for 15-30 seconds, if it pumps a fair bit of gas into the bottle suspect the needle and seat in the carb, it may be sticking shut.

Thanks. I've got dual carbs and I know that fuel isn't even going through the filter, much less into the carbs.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my fuel filter right below the tank and behind the firewall. Do you have your filter between the fuel pump and the carbs? Do you have a fuel pressure regulator for the dual carbs?
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
I put my fuel filter right below the tank and behind the firewall. Do you have your filter between the fuel pump and the carbs? Do you have a fuel pressure regulator for the dual carbs?

My fuel filter is about 6" above the fuel pump, between the carbs. Not sure if I have a fuel pressure regulator or not. What would it look like?
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been a while since the bus has run, the pump -unlikely but it happened to me last month- may need to be primed. Even though my pump was getting fuel to the bottom of the pump, the pump wouldn't suck it up until I took the pump off and primed it on the bench. Works great now.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't miss seeing the regulator, if you had one; doesn't sound like you do.

Try what busdaddy recommended, if you are getting nothing out of the output side of the pump, and you are certain that gas is flowing correctly into the input side of the pump, you must have a busted diaphragm, or the lever in there broke, or maybe one of the e-clips came off.

Does your pump screw together, or is it sealed?
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
You can't miss seeing the regulator, if you had one; doesn't sound like you do.

Try what busdaddy recommended, if you are getting nothing out of the output side of the pump, and you are certain that gas is flowing correctly into the input side of the pump, you must have a busted diaphragm, or the lever in there broke, or maybe one of the e-clips came off.

Does your pump screw together, or is it sealed?

It's sealed. The priming idea seems well worth a shot, Kombisutra.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Fuel pump Reply with quote

Change over to an electric pump from CB and all of your troubles will go away. It has a built in filter, quiet and is regulated.ther are two versions available , one [email protected] and one @5 or so.If you are running cads you will still need the Holley fuel regulator to get down to 1.75 sweet spot that Kaddies loke. Just my .02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: