Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scooby's Tales & Trails
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies. Accepted one that is about 1/2 way.

This is a link of work I did this week and pics I sent to my Insurance. Just a bunch of little finishing touches, stilll more to do. Well the link doesn't work. Oh well I took the pics but still can't post them. gggrrrrr

Leaving for Pa in morning Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy trails Daizee and Scooby Blu Doo too.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Tuesday after Labour Day, been to K near K, not an uneventful trip but interesting. Hillbilly Diesel solved my problem and taught me about it if it ever happens again. Fuse, fuel pump injectors, up to Ridgeway and down the south side Rolling Eyes Today I arrived in Montgomery, Pa. at Riverside Campground where there is (was) supposed to be another VW gathering Thursday thru Sunday. I decided to come here Tues to Sat and meet up some more VW's BUT just as I pulled in the office had called Matt to suggest he cancel as the S. River is supposed to peak Friday.

Evacuating campgrounds up and down S. River. It was so soggy at Bloomsburg I had to get a tractor to haul me out in reverse (tree 1 ft in front of me). They were busy there as well evacuating the campgrounds, pulling all the hydro meters, picnic tables, trailers et al. Guess this River is known for flooding even here in the mountains.

Even tho its been raining non stop I decided to stop here as they have a laundromat and I had no dry clothes but many mud caked clothes. Office was really nice and offered me a plain little A frame cabin for the nite for $20.00 which was the rate for Buses by the River gathering which was supposed to be here Thursday thru Sunday. I'm sorta sick n tired of being wet and damp so now I have all clean clothes and a dry roof over my head.

Then I'm heading up 15 north to NY State.

Danfromsyracuse was correct when he warned me about the steep inclines and declines I encountered on 219 & 6 southbound. Will report on the event when I get home. I have learned that I no longer am a traveller so will not be attempting any multi monthly trips. I hope I can get rested up and recouped for Watkins as I'd sure hate to miss it due to its history and proximity to my home(land).

Getting internet coverage in these 'mtns' can be frustrating but have a pretty decent connect here at the Riverside Campground & Lounge bar! But I am weary and don't know when I'll next be able to connect.

Met some great people at KnK, one I knew and lots from New Jersey and all points Pa, Rhode Island. Was supposed to meet up with some of them here but hopefully I'll see some at Watkins which it is my intent to make.

So there are more tales of my trails and trials Laughing but another time when I'm not so weary. ciao all

Oh yeh the 2nd event was being pulled off the I 80 East bound by a State Trooper and my investigation and solving all my rear end light problems with the help of several people (but I did the work and solved one solution on my own) and I am to "pay it forward" which certainly is amicable to me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that part of cnetral northern PA and southern central NY always have issues when there's alot of rain.. and this week there's 2-6" expected in the next 2days. so beware and hunker down.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to Westies at Watkins this year as me & family are taking the following week to tour NH for some leaf peeping. and there's only soo much time or money till snow flies..

take your time and travel safely.

the NY Empire VW campers are headed to Moffitt beach in the southern adirondaks this coming weekend. it's near Speculator, NY but not really on a straight line back to Canada... unless you were looking to take a run thru the ADKs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Scooby is loaded, top, inside and full of diesel. Maps and routes planned and printed, camera charged, emergency road service on (won't need it Rolling Eyes ) and leaving early Wednesday. Don't get to see David Gregory until next Tuesday on way back.

Picked up an inexpensive Easy Up at Walmarts today (no more super expensive ones for me), I'm so looking forward to this and 4 to 5 days staying in one place!

Sorry I didn't get around to posting pics from Kampers at Knoebels but I'll post them when I post Westy's at Watkins. I'm also still behind in my correspondence, Embarassed I will catch up. Aren't they nice letting moi, a Riviera, come along Cool

Looking forward to masses at Watkins. I even have my racing uniform lined up Laughing
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday just got home from Scottsville, NY after Watkin's Glen trip. 7 days. SUCCESSFUL TRIP!!!! No breakdowns and Scooby behaved very good. Will post the tales tomorrow. Bed now. Surprised no piles in front of fans Exclamation Laughing Laughing Will tell some tales, etc... tomorrow. Scooby did GREAT!!! Dancing
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
No breakdowns and Scooby behaved very good...Scooby did GREAT!!!

Nice! I smile every time you post one like this - you deserve it!

Happy Trails!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to have met you and double glad you made it out & back w/o any troubles or tows.

hope the taillights are working ok. and sorry I'd forgotten to give you the 2 red side lights. PM me an address and I'll get them in the mail,

travel well and travel safe.

Dan and Mom from Syracuse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'd better get my tales & trails out there. Went to Watkins via Lewiston and interstate which was boring but once I got on 14S the drive was far more enjoyable with bright sun and gorgeous views as well as windy, hilly road. I think one of the prettiest towns I have ever seen is Geneva. I had never been in the Finger Lakes area before and it's beautiful rolling vistas. Lots of vineyards too.

I got to Watkins Glen State Park around 5 pm and had to stay in another Loop as the VW Loop was not opening until Thursday am. I met a woman who looked to be in her early 60's and she owns an 2011 Sportsmobile, which was lovely. The top is much the same as the Riviera but of course that's where the relativity stops Laughing She pushes a button and up the top goes. She was from Kentucky and had it custom made in Texas, formerly had a 2004 and she travels all over the States and Canada. she is 72! Really an amazing and nice person.

So Thursday morning moved into VW Loop and I picked a lot that was not in the woods, that had lots of grass and was not too close, nor too far from the washrooms and right across from where Joel would be setting up. Little did I know how popular/coveted my lot was going to become. Apparently THE preferred site for solar. I picked it so less mosquitos and grass for my Munchkin to play on. Sunday morning there were 4 vehicles on the lot and everyone of them different.

People trickeled in all day, right thru the evening/night. Was real happy to re-meet people I had met at the other two gatherings and a bunch of new ones. Small world one of the van's (from outside Ottawa) older sons is the best friend of my cousin's grandson up in the Carp area. We had a real fun campfire on the Thursday night.

All day Friday the VW's poured in and the Loop became very busy, met lots and lots of people and we had another great camp fire. The weather was not totally co-operative with big downpours but stopped for the camp fire.

Saturday was a busy busy day and decent weather. Lots of people wanted to see my new engine compartment and I got a lot of great input and ideas and several diesel experts came to check it out. Met a LOT of Samba members which was so great to put a body with words Surprised What a variety of people. Karl M arrived in his VW Winnebago or was it a Joker. Well that would be just perfect for me to live in and travel. A very interesting man. Of course I didn't know who he was, we got talking dogs (he had 2 beauties) and chatted for awhile and then he asked me if I was DAIZEE/SCOOBY! Yeppers. I usually introduce myself as Zee or Zelda but often do say Scooby. Then I discovered he was Karl of the M Port!

I met a fellow named Dan something or other and got a great strong hand shake and we chatted away and then I suddenly realized it was Danfromsyracuse! Well then he got a great big hug. He's been there so often for me these past 20 mths and it was GREAT to meet him. He drove down for the afternoon to see everyone. He gave me two complete rear light housings that he has an extra wiring so that you can run 2 bulbs in the lower so that the rear end shows up better! WOW, they are in such good condition, can't wait to put them on. this week. He showed me the slick units he is putting on his van. Man you'll see them forever! I passed out about 6 PVC back hatch hold ups to people I saw using sticks.

Shortly after I met Alaric and his family. Man does that man pull leg and likes to tease. Smile I was never quite sure if he was pulling my leg or leading me on or setting me up Very Happy He insisted I drive his Syncro (that's an understatement - its a monster machine Syncro). I didn't want to but he insisted. I had to step onto one of the wheel spokes to get up (really really high). I scared the crap out of myself driving it! (Carterzest that was for you Laughing ) Possibly scared him also and several others in the camp loop. His syncro is very big, very high and very powerful and very scary. In another lifetime I'd like the opportunity to take lessons and then drive it in a different place. I can definitely see it doing the Pit at a Mog Fest when one knows how to operate the rig.. It would be the machine for sure to do it in. I couldn't get over how large inside it was. Actually there were several Syncros there altho most of them "seemed" more normal to what I'd expected.

So by Sat we had 4 vehicles on our lot. I was very tired and so went to bed early as I knew I'd have to get up early to make breakfast and then to take down and pack all my campsite in prep for the race track and heading home. I missed the pot luck dinner and bon fire but I really was tuckered out. I live a very quiet almost hermit like life and I just plain needed some rest. I gave Frank all my tickets for the draws and I won $20.00 worth of sticker artwork. Will probably pick either big paw prints or the "Mystery Machine" blobs,

Sunday morning was so busy, I forgot to say bye to all those people I knew. Hopefully they have not taken it personally. Inside I was very excited about going to the place "racing started in NA". Sunday was a very hot sunny day, it was beautiful. We were held outside the track for several hours but gave everyone time for pics and socializing. FINALLY the time came, we signed our Waivers and entered the track behind 2 pace cars and were told to stay in single file. I think there were 45 vehicles but seems to me there may have been more. All ages of vehicles and drivers of both genders. Some really old buses, even a Samba, even a Vanagon with a trailor.

So first time around started pretty slow but as the pace picked up, I didn't like that I couldn't see the vehicles ahead of the one in front of me so I sorta placed myself aft but a van's width out of line. Much more comfortable/safe driving position for me. Initially I was behind Alaric and because the pace was so tame he played back and forth across the width of the track. His syncro was so quickly responsive he'd be in one place one moment and the next moment he'd be somewhere else but you didn't really see the move. I of course drove the course tight and as straight as I could. Like the gentleman that he is he waived me ahead of him. Then the fun started. Cool Applause

Apparently every year a few people have done passing even tho you are told not to. Well this year was no different and I was not the only one! We did two turns around, then stopped and then did the 3rd and final. It was very frustrating driving for me (I'm challenge oriented) and so I made a decision to pass when I could and when there was clear track. One particular green EV ran me onto the grass 3 times when I went high (he was low) to pass on the outside where it was clear and open. I don't know why anyone person would think that they had the authority to prevent (in dangerous fashion) anyone passing. My contract was with Watkins Glen Management, not any driver. I even had overlap on him twice and he just drove me off the track. That doesn't work for me so I made it my mission to get past him and FINALLY I did on the inside and also just breezed by on the inside again of another van who was running high. Most of the time I was only in 3rd gear and I could have passed a few more but ran out of time.

When we all pulled up outside, I was going looking for that EV Evil or Very Mad and the next thing I know a very hysterical (and I use that word in the medical sense) young female started screaming at me over and over again "not supposed to pass" and "you passed me on the right side and I didn't even see you". Then her male friend started waving his pink water bottle in my face and spewing me with his spit while screaming at me. Scream at me and I scream back. Deteriorated communication a 4/3 and I finally left them with "grow some balls" and her PERFECT comeback which really suits my "challenge oriented personality" was "perhaps you have too many". I LOVED IT! Mean time I forgot all about the EV (which fortunately saved another scene), talked with several of the guys and as some were leaving I left and had a beautiful drive North to Scottsville. Hopefully that female will learn to use all her mirrors for driving on the roadways. Regardless of where I'm driving, I know what's going on around my entire vehicle ALWAYS!.

At no time did I pass within 2 van widths of anyone and I always went out when they were in and vice versa, altho my tendency is to drive the inside and as straight as possible. One corner gave me problems all 3 times around when I drifted. So YES att 66 I got to drive the venerable Watkins Glen Race Track in my Vanagon (which I am very tuned in and used to its responses and behavior and power) Exclamation Cool Dancing What a BEAUTIFUL view of the rolling country side from outside the course.

Now would I do it again. NOPE not unless they either allowed 2 different groups or had clear roles about holding your course for safety sake "in the event someone were to pass". Surprised It was worth it once but its not worth it again if you want to drive it as a race course even at our reduced speeds. Too many unskilled, Sunday type drivers all over the road having spasims.

Okay I've provided the pile and the fan, plug it in if you so wish.

I came back up 14N (the lake was full of sail boats) and then over 5/20 thru beautiful farming country and missed a bunch of the Interstate driving Smile Camped behind David Gregor's shop in the country outside Scottsville, NY Sun thru Tues morning when he put the custom made transmission cover on. I crossed back into Canada at Lewiston but in the future I will probably do the crossover at the Buffalo bridge as that Duty Free is owned separately from the Niagara Falls Bridges and Buffalo Duty Free definitely has better deals and more products.. No problems with any crossings, they weren't very busy and the border control personal were friendly and talkative!

And that completes my first trip of trouble free cruising for 7 days! THAT's A MILESTONE for Scooby and me. Wonderful feeling!

Oh and a scarey touch. When I arrived at the State Park and registered, I was asked my phone number. I gave it and all my data appeared on their computer! I have NEVER been in a State Park, nor have I ever made a reservation thru Reserve America. Sorta bugs me, how I'm in the system. Unless the Kampers near Knoebels campground was a State Park but I believe it was a private campground. Big Brother is watching. It's a cell phone and the number is only 2 years old. Sceary!!!

Van/Bus Gatherings guarantee several things, two being dogs and kids and now I know at least 2 independant type of cats. Lots of Ontario and Quebec vehicles there. Think Joel said 100 registrants. My biggest ever! Gosh its nice to have healthy Vanagonitis but still lots of work to do!

Last edited by DAIZEE on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have over packed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: scooby's tales Reply with quote

glad to see that your bus is given you positive vibes and enjoyment now!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee - what a great story, especially the racetrack! I felt like I was there for the ride, what a hoot of a passing story! It was great to meet you and your cute little pup. Sounds like you had a great time at Watkins.

By the way, it's a Karmann Gipsy, far superior to a Winnebago. Cool Laughing A 'Joker' is a Westfalia highroof or poptop with a lot of extra features we didn't get in N America, like insulated windows etc. and these have all been imported from the fatherland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that! I like it! I remember now a wine color Westy Joker pulling into the washroom area. I guess I'll have to track down an elderly Winnebago to see how they really looked. I like your Gipsy and think that Gypsy would be a good name if you haven't named it yet. You could 'rover' all over in it Laughing

I left out lots about people on the race track, guess just driving around it on a leisurely tour with no fear of anyone going faster or passing was their kind of experience. Which I totally believe is their right. Mine just are different Laughing Laughing I have doubts whether that hysterical female and her male friend would ever have screamed and hollered at a male driver and I can only think that the green EV must get his kicks from driving people off the roadway. Perhaps he thought he could play chicken with me but I'm not the person to pick for that game. "Letting" him drive me off to the grass 3 times on the outside was just part of the game but I am tenacious and have a steady hand and don't fall apart under pressure. Now stress is another matter Laughing Anyhow it made it more challenging working with a deviated mind! Cool He was dangerous tho and fortunately it was me he tried to screw!!!! Oh did I say before I'm not really a follower or rather I'm choosy who I'll follow. It's like beating into the wind, you just can't give up!! Eh? Having said that I would have followed Alaric if he'd chosen to lead Laughing

Yes Watkins was good, met soooooo many people and different vehicles and got so many ideas. Of course I'm a wee bit different so what works for others wouldn't necessarily work for me! None the less I learned.

Karmann was sure a busy man with so many designs!!!! and then to get really confused he joined up with Gia!!!! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DAIZEE on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good look at what all Karmann built, some of it will totally surprise you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen to look at that link. David Gregor has many Karmann beetles at his shop in exquisit shape and all authentically original. I forgot to mention he also had a luxurious VW Trycle in his shop right now for sale. The wife doesn't like riding on it but rides on a regular motorcycle. The Tryc is a beauty.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on Scooby's rear lights today (now have 2 X 5 watt bulbs for rear running lights). Got them from Danfromsyracuse. Also put the RIVIERA lettering on top (same font as Westfalia), thanks Jason from HippyMotorsUSA.com.

I just had to post how high I am on Scooby with it's superb performance. Yes I know that there will be breakdowns (perhaps) but this winter dropping and cleaning the fuel tank (hopefully not a replacement), putting in a diesel fuel filter neck and level sensor, and removing the dash for a few jobs under there! Another issue will be the 12V in house wiring system. It'll be stored down at my mechanics so I'll be able to plug in a heater.

And the great news is that my mechanic of 24 years is no longer a franchise auto repair but now he is an independant owner, certified auto repair shop! I'm so happy for him. Now that the engine and coolant issues have been addressed he will be doing most of the work. I am managing to do some of the electrical and other odd jobs myself tho Exclamation

Today a fellow who works across the street from Nelson dropped his toyota van in for some work and came over to talk to me, so I told him as much as I could about Vanagons, different possibilities with GREAT enthusiasm. I told him there was a big community of support and parts out there. See he told me he has seen one in an auction yard. I told him what to look for. He's going to take some pics and send them to me (I gave him my email) with details as to year, etc... I'm not totally convinced its a Vanagon as he thinks it has a head and shower but who knows if its from Europe where they had more options. I also told him not to really look for showers as possibility of more inside rust and how a shower curtain can be rigged off rear hatch.

Almost every time I am down at Nelson's working on Scooby, someone stops by and asks me all kinds of questions and info. I am an ambassador about Vanagonitis. I tell them the good and the bad (esp. rust). I've also had quite a few Vanagons stop to talk.

Can you tell I'm high from working/driving Scooby on a beautiful sunny warm fall day. I already feel some sadness about parking it once the salt flies.

I am planning 2 more trips at least. One to Minden, Ontario area and at the end of October I'm off to Montreal in Scooby to see friends who have been patiently waiting for me to get up there AND I hope to meet up with some Vanagoners in that area. PM me if you want to meet up. I'm flexible on time as retired. Weather is the only thing, rain is no problem, just that stupid salt they spread at the sign of the first snow flake. Budget's are tight this year so hopefully they won't use salt until they need to. It's the brine I don't like!!!! and no my name is not Chatty Cathy Laughing

p.s. when I find my camera (I don't lose things, I just can never find them >> an aging mind!) I'll download pics to picassa. Finally downloaded all photos on my phone (some go back almost 2 years Embarassed
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK tomorrow I want to tackle the driver's seat armrests. Only have the regular arm rest on left side and large pin/metal piece on right side. I am putting on adjustable arm rests on both left and right side. I've done the search and printed some general stuff out.

Is there anything specific or a specific thread(s) that give details. I've tracked a few but I'm not sure if it is what I need. It's time to get these adjustables on and out of the work basket Rolling Eyes These little jobs sure add up! If I don't have the tools, then I'm sure my mechanic will. I usually have both sets of most tools.

ps the year of my van is meaningless as I bought 2 seats with 3 arm rests, now will replace driver's seat with adjustables (I don't know what year they are out of) that came with the hardware!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that as the past 10 days were cold and damp early in the mornings, I used my Cold Starter Cable. WHAT a difference it makes.

Before I head out to work on installing the adjustable arm rests on the driver's seat I have a few personal tales that i hope make you laugh! I don't lose things, I just can't find them sometimes. I can look everywhere and not be successful. First example is I've been looking for my good frameless glasses for about 6 weeks. I mean really looking and stymied! Yesterday I decided to empty my pre shredding bin and there they were, case and all. Well 2 days ago I started looking for my camera to download onto Picasa. Looked everywhere several times (well except for one place), this morning I tore the van apart, no camera case! So I decide well I haven't looked in the big cooler and yep that's where my camera case was Exclamation Embarassed

This is only 2 examples, I frequently put things someplace specific so I'll know where they are. Doesn't work that way. The flip side of this is that I know what I'm looking for, just can't find them!!! Drs say not early Alzheimers but I'm wondering about Dimentia. I'm serious but I have to have a sense of humor about it.

So off to screw up the adjustable arm rests Laughing
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I frequently put things someplace specific so I'll know where they are. Doesn't work that way. The flip side of this is that I know what I'm looking for, just can't find them!!! Drs say not early Alzheimers but I'm wondering about Dimentia. I'm serious but I have to have a sense of humor about it.

So off to screw up the adjustable arm rests Laughing

I wouldnt worry too much about that. I've done this for the past 30 years, but I'm only 35 years old! The more specific the place I try to find for something the less likely I will remember where I put it. I've learned to just put things in the same place after I use them every time. It reduces the likelihood that their placement will get forgotten.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I can look everywhere and not be successful.

You should only start to worry if the place where you find it is not the last place you look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: