Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ignition switch electrical connections
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: ignition switch electrical connections Reply with quote

I replaced my ignition switch with a new one from BD. But the old switch has two more electrical tab connections than the new switch. In the pic below the old switch is on the right and has two extra (smaller) tabs on the bottom. The brand new switch is on the left and does not have the two smaller tab connections.
What are those two connections for??
Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure but one of the small ones is "S" current wich means you have voltage from the moment you insert the key in the switch, and goes out when you take it off. the other one might be "P" wich is the exact oposite of S

S current is usually used for riggin the stereo so it doesn´t go out when you cut the switch but leave the key on, "P" on the other hand is mainly used for alarm and stearing lock on more modern cars

"Si quiero estar encabronado
hazte a un lado...cabrón!"
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Güero wrote:
not sure but one of the small ones is "S" current wich means you have voltage from the moment you insert the key in the switch, and goes out when you take it off. the other one might be "P" wich is the exact oposite of S

hmm. sounds like they may be superfluous then. that would be a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
El_Güero wrote:

depends on how you look at it, for me "S" is a very very valuable current cause i can listen to music without having the coil/ecu "hot" and when i take the key out everything stays disconectec. between a fried coil or a dead batery every time i forget to turn out the stereo i would defenetly prefer "S" current powered from the switch since i rarely leave my keys on the switch Wink

there is another solution thogh, one of those fancy stereos that turn themselfs off after some time without having none of their knobs turned... Confused

"Si quiero estar encabronado
hazte a un lado...cabrón!"
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Güero wrote:
BusBerd wrote:
El_Güero wrote:

depends on how you look at it, for me "S" is a very very valuable current cause i can listen to music without having the coil/ecu "hot" and when i take the key out everything stays disconectec. between a fried coil or a dead batery every time i forget to turn out the stereo i would defenetly prefer "S" current powered from the switch since i rarely leave my keys on the switch Wink

there is another solution thogh, one of those fancy stereos that turn themselfs off after some time without having none of their knobs turned... Confused

Wait, so if I have my radio on while driving it will stay on now even with the key out of the ignition?? (sorry, I'm a bit slow to understand sometimes. ESPECIALLY when its electrical)
hippievan420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this thread is a few weeks old but i just pulled my ignition switch out of my 78 westy and it only has the 'S' tab. so i was wondering what bus you pulled yours out of and if the new one w/o either S or P worked in it.

1974 deluxe campmobile w/ pop top [sold]
http://sagegreenrebels.tumblr.com/
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: 4 Terminal ignition switch Reply with quote

Hi BusBerd some people wire their stereo to the Ign key buzzer teminal. So when they put the key in the ign the stereo will play. Pull the key and it turns the stereo off. They do this to keep from frying the ign coil. When the Ign. key is in the first-run position it provides power to the coil. If your stereo plays all the time no worries unless you leave the stereo on and run down the battery.
Hi hippievan, The 6 terminal came out of BusBerd's 77. Your 78 shares the same wiring diagram with the 77. The new 4 term. switch will work. One of the small terminals on BusBerds is for the Ign Key Warning Buzzer. They probably did away with it to cut down on manufacturing cost or to make a switch that would fit a wider range of models, or because everyone cuts the wires to it.
I would like to know what the other small term. is for. I don't see it on the wiring diagram. Unless it is the other side of the Ign. Buzzer.
Hope this helps
hippievan420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash thanks for the info. that actually helps me better understand my own van. one of the POs had done that to mine. they mounted a stereo under the dash and wired it to the red? wire from the ignition. i'm looking for a new ignition switch and wanted to know more about it before buying the wrong thing.

1974 deluxe campmobile w/ pop top [sold]
http://sagegreenrebels.tumblr.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: