Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

anybody ever lift a complete bus at the front top doorjambs?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: anybody ever lift a complete bus at the front top doorjambs? Reply with quote

i have to lift a 66 panel out of the property where i dug it oput. since the owner wont let me cut the fence this is the only way. at the back i will use the torsion tube ends to rest the wooden blocks against.
but at the front i am afraid to crush the B-pillars if i use them as a support. the drivers side one is badly rusted. so i thought of the front door jambs.i think i have seen a pic where busses were suspended there on the assembly line at the factory, but they were empty. mine is only missing the engine otherwise complete.
any one done this?
thanx, karl
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get a piece of thick wall steel tubing and weld some end plates bolt in place of the beam with some wheels on the bottom and do the same for the rear but bolt it to the frame horns
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would suggest bolting on steel with an arm welded to it on each side where the beam would bolt on. Unless the beams already there. Your going to hae to make some kind of lifting aparatus where it wont crush the body up top if its rusted. There is a post on this site I believe that a bus in germany?.....got lifted by a helicopter. I know they lifted it from underneath but I dont remember if they used braces....just straps.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok if I had pressed the enter button 8 minutes earlier... Laughing but I had to think about it first.
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant access the front beam, just too much crap left and right. the one side is in danger of coming down (rusted oil barrels filled with metal parts) and will destroy the bus for sure. no power for a welder either. no - lifting is the only way out i think. the crane has four straps that can hold the wooden trams at four points. the thread with the helicopter would be great to see...
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about sliding 2 hefty pieces of wood underneath like a 6x8
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
i cant access the front beam, just too much crap left and right. the one side is in danger of coming down (rusted oil barrels filled with metal parts) and will destroy the bus for sure. no power for a welder either. no - lifting is the only way out i think. the crane has four straps that can hold the wooden trams at four points. the thread with the helicopter would be great to see...
look on samba for the picture of how they put buses in cargo hatch.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

???? sorry but i dont get the last reply
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's referring to the way busses were loaded into the cargo hold of a ship, they were suspended in a similar manner...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple 2"X12" or wider boards through the opening should work (doors open), it's all about spreading the load out.
Better yet a welded up steel spreader bar with long flat L pads to sit under the top of the door holes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely to bend something though. Drip rails etc. We didn't really care what happened to this one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there is a pic of a singlecab getting lifted out of a wrecking yard on here? I also believe it is now a driving singlecab?

anyone?
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any pictures but there is a few ideas I know of.

First the crane operator should have a few ideas depending on their training. The wheels are the best thing to go off. There is a strap technique that does a wrap on each wheel and then the wheel can move around and the strap still holds. You will need tires with some air in them on the Bus to work right (look for a WreckMaster trained tower they have been taught it). Use that with a spreader bar front and rear and you are all set.

If there is some room around it a SpeedCrane will work. It is like what is used across the pond to lift and load cars onto a carrier. Not a lot of them around in this country but they are out there.

One more idea is to use 2 Cruise Loops, again look for a Wreck Master trained operator. Due to a Bus not having a normal seat and door design (compared to a car) it will not work as well and will need some out side of the box thinking. The use of the straps spreads to weight over a large portion of the body so there is no damage if used as designed, but again you will not be using it "right" so there may be some light crushing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay found some pictures...
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/7065/t/How-would-you-lift-a-car-from-2007.html
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/54097/Car-Recovery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx all for the help. i have someone with a truck mounted crane that has lifted cars out of a yard before. he will do it close to free so thats what i´m gonna try. i though about it some more and since i have no bars to spread the straps i have to get them apart at the bottom so they dont wreck the body. i was pretty sure i will use something like a 22x18cm wooden tram under the torsion tube at the rear, but it will interfere with the trans nose cone mount, so maybe thats not such a bright idea.
one way to solve the problem would be to use four old steel rims and weld round stock to them that protrudes outside of the body. i could bolt them to the axles and lift there, the suspension of the car is able to take the load because it does it when the vehicle is running all the time
any thoughts on this?
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary, they'd have to be really strong with some good welds, alot of leverage doing that. Why not weld up a couple of spreader bars? They don't have to be as elaborate as the rig in the boat picture, just keep the straps away from the body, even a couple 6' long 4"x4" wood posts with a strong steel loop on each end for the strap to pass through would work.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. looking at the stock 14" wheels, where would i get the straps through?
do you really think the leverage would be that great? maybe better to use some stell rings with a 5x205 hole pattern, 10mm thick, with a welded on steel pipe and a support angle. the suspension parts have to withstand a fully loaded vehicle in all driving and braking situations, so i think they are strong enough to lift the vehicle with.
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl h wrote:

The WreckMaster system wraps the outside of the tire, the tire will crush some but evenly at 4 points. The crane guy should also have spreader bars, they are almost standard for crane users. The other idea is to use a chain under the tire (rim/ drum) and then attach to a strap. You will need to have some way to make the rim/drum/tire not move. Another idea is to make a plate that would mount to the drum and have provision for a shackle to attach to the rigging.

Also when I posted I did not see where you are, SpeedCranes are what is used over on your side of the pond often. The system uses a spreader bar with a set up under the wheels to lift. The problem is you need to be near the Bus to use it, not much of a reach.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
do you really think the leverage would be that great? maybe better to use some stell rings with a 5x205 hole pattern, 10mm thick, with a welded on steel pipe and a support angle. the suspension parts have to withstand a fully loaded vehicle in all driving and braking situations, so i think they are strong enough to lift the vehicle with.

Yes they are strong enough to carry the vehicle but employing a shear load on the studs, the extension you propose would make it a tensile load due to the extended leverage. 4 beetle rims with a hole for a chain cut in would work, or plates with the 5X205 pattern and a lifting eye. Or bars across beneath the bus as WM mentions, but it sounds like it may be tight beside the bus so sliding things under could be a challenge.

Слава Україні!
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Link

Link

Link

Courtesy of Lou V., and found in the following thread:
bus craning videos now with the 55 logo'd single!

Hope this helps.... Cool

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: