Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BNNTA #26, Labor Day 2011
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: BNNTA #26, Labor Day 2011 Reply with quote

Bill must be slackin'. Searched for, but didn't find a thread for this year. Copied from last year:

Come one, come all!

B.N.N.T.A. - "Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #26"

When: Friday, Sept 2nd thru Monday Sept 5th, 2011, the entire "Labor Day holiday weekend".

Where: in the group campground in the Indian Creek Recreational Area located right on Mark Twain Lake in NE Missouri. We have again leased the ENTIRE campground so we can host an all VW camping weekend. Only Volkswagen vehicles will be admitted inside the campgound...any year and model of VW...but it must be a VW! Event-registered "VW-powered" boats, airplanes, gyrocopters and trikes would also be admitted! When you wake up each morning at BNNTA and crawl out of your VW or tent, all you'll see throughout the campground are Volkswagens everywhere, not the side of some huge RV!

Our group campground is a beautiful, heavily wooded location for our event, built lakeside by the Corps of Engineers, features quite a few sites with access to electric, two nice buildings with nice clean restrooms (one with nice hot/cold showers), a big childrens playground, a huge covered pavillion, a nearby boat ramp into the 22 mile long Mark Twain Lake, a nearby marina, etc. Individuals and VW clubs from all over the Midwest will be enjoying each others company for the long holiday weekend.

There is NO pre-registration available, you'll just check in with us upon arrival and we'll quickly fix you up for the weekend.

On Saturday we'll run a caravan over a scenic route to historic Hannibal, MO to enjoy the sights of the childhood home town of Samuel Clemens (aka, "Mark Twain"). Give yourself and your children a living history lesson in Mark Twains hometown right on the banks of the Mississippi River! Enjoy the towns' historic landmarks and sights and then return to the BNNTA event at your leisure. Later in the afternoon our event participants will stroll the campground to visit and vote for their personal favorites for awards given out during our evening awards ceremony later that evening. On Sunday we'll relax and enjoy the lake, and most will be heading homeward on Monday.

Be sure to use your creativity to come up with a theme and then decorate your VW campsite, both for the fun of it and to compete in our site decoration contest (award for both the best individual and club/group decorating).

Please feel free to bring along any VW-related items that you'd like to donate to the growing door prize give-away during the award ceremony on Saturday evening.

We continue to kept the event and camping fee as low as we possibly can, lower than pretty much any other similar camping weekend. The total fee per VW is only $30 for the "entire weekend" regardless of how long you stay with all of us.

Visit our simple site for basic BNNTA event info at http://www.bnnta.com where there is a map link with directions (Yeah, one of these days we'll spice the website up a bit more!).

So there you have it! If you've been thinking about joining us, mark your calendars now (Sept 3-6) and take advantage of the nice, long holiday weekend to come and have some VW fun with old and new friends! Start packing up the Bus to join us for all the festivities. It's never too late to make plans, and there's always room for more VWs and more of you around our VW campfires! We'll look forward to seeing you!

Roll call time!!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CookieMonster35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing I'm going!

Updating threads nobody wants to see since 2010.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookieMonster35 wrote:
Dancing I'm going!

Looks like it's just you and me! Very Happy
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea...can't miss this one.
I'll be in the Thing this year.

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang,

Yes, we are busy getting ready for the arrival of all our VW camping-lovin' buddies! The trophies are ordered, the T-shirt design looks awesome! The dash plaques look great too! We're getting everything ready and the Rangers at Mark Twain Lake are looking forward to everyones arrival. The entire campground that I leased for us is ready for our arrival.

The hot weather of this past summer seems to be breaking just in time for cooler camping conditions we love. Even the price of gas seems to be dropping just in time! I just saw $3.31 a gallon gas and it's dropping fast, so we'll all have some extra cash for buying chow and brews.

I can't wait to see what campsite decorations some of you will come up with in an effort to win the best individual and best group campsite decorating contest, always a highlight of the Saturday show competition. I may have to add a second place award for those two catagories.

So if you need a nice VW camping event to attend where all you will see all weekend are Volkswagens, and lots of nice VW owners, go to http://www.bnnta.com for a basic website about the event, with what is scheduled and a mapping site to help you get there. Then clear your long Labor Day holiday weekend, pack your VW (any type of VW, old or new, any model!) with food, beverages and your family and friends and make it over to the upcoming BNNTA VW camping weekend! We can't wait to see you all!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
POS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: BNNTA Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

Here in Boonville we got Dorman's gas tank repaired and installed and he is gearing up!

Lazarus is still running in spite of his mechanic! He has carried Lesley and I to San Antonio and the Atlantic since the last BNNTA.

See you there!

David
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for the upcoming BNNTA event. I've added a couple more trophies to Saturdays festivities. We are hoping to see some of those older Buses, so I've added an "Oldest Transporter at BNNTA #26" award for someone out there to earn...

Also, to reward the playful competition between all of you campers who enjoy a cool campsite decorating, I'm adding a trophy for second place to the first place trophies I award for "best individual VW theme decoration/camping set-up" and "Best group/club theme decoration camping set-up"

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
POS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

How about a trophy for the oldest bus driver Very Happy

David
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you're onto something there! Kinda funny in that I actually added three more trophies to the order, so now we will have a new award for the "Oldest Transporter" (not oldest driver, sorry!), and new second place awards for both the best "individual" and "group" campsite theme decorating.

Bill

www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap!!!

I can't believe it's been a year already.......

We're looking forward to the weekend (as usual).

Safe travels everyone!!!

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kirk,

We can't wait to see you, the wife and those ever-growing kids of yours!It was good to see you at the Stateline Picnic recently too.

Everyone,

As always, if anyone out there has a nice VW related door prize that they'd like to add to the pile of goodies to be given away in the drawing on Saturday evening during the BNNTA awards ceremony, please either bring them along in your VW or you could mail them for arrival by Wednesday. Contact me by PM to get the address. Please attach your name and/or business name to the VW goodie so that I can give you a pat on the back as I give your item away to a deserving BNNTA camper!

Thanks again all, drive safely to see us this upcoming weekend on the Lake.

Bill Bowman
www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest long-range weather report is looking pretty good. High of 92 on Friday as folks pull their VWs into Mark Twain Lake, high of 88 on Saturday.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures from the cruise to the dam last year...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stoked for this year!
Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Campers!

Okay, the USACE Ranger in charge of our area at Mar Twain Lake has confirmed that they will open the locked "group" campground gates (the site of the BNNTA event) at around noon on Thursday even though the event doesn't officially start until noon on Friday thru Monday. They are doing so as a convienence to any early arrivals, who would otherwise have to go to the main campground until Friday and then move again over to the event site. We are very grateful that they are offering to do this for us! Please note that if you take advantage of this, you are responsible to pay the Rangers for that days camping fee (I think the daily rate in the main campground is $18 per day). Your BNNTA event fee (only $30 for the entire holiday weekend) only covers your camping per vehicle from Friday at noon through Monday at noon. Thursday evening is your own responsibility, so please pay the Rangers or we might risk loosing this "early-opening" convienence privilige. Thanks, and drive safely!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
wood rot guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be there too..... !
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all,

We leave in the morning for Mark Twain Lake to host the BNNTA VW camping weekend. There are already at least eight Buses who arrived today from Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois and Wisconsin in the campground tonight. The bulk of the attendees will cruise into the campground that I've leased on Friday. The weather forecast is good, hot on Friday, cooling down on Saturday and even more on Sunday/Monday. Night time temps should be in the low 70's Friday night and down to the high 50s by Sunday night. Great sleeping weather! We hope to see many of you over the long holiday weekend. No reservations are needed, I've booked the entire campground and only VWs (any year or any model!) will be admitted, plenty of room for everyone. Go to www.bnnta.com for basic info and a map link to get you there. Drive safely and have a great holiday weekend wherever you are!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more pics in gallery and here :http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101503162...amp;type=1

Had a great time... Ate too many steaks (is that possible) Love this show!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed yourself...again! But too many steaks? How is that possible?

A view of some of the Saturday caravan participants parking in the overlook for the Cannon Damn that holds back Mark Twain Lake where the event is located...

A huge thank you goes out to all of you who joined us for the long Labor Day holiday weekend! We had Buses and other VWs from S.Carloina, New Mexico and at least 12 other States. The newest was a 2011 Jetta and the oldest was a '59 Double Door Panel Bus. But hands down, the longest distance winner was Robert and Jeremey from Carson City, NV in a 1970 Westy!

Robert and Jeremey drove this Westy (they blew, and then rebuilt its' motor five days earlier!) to the event from Nevada.

The weekend started out hot, then mellowed, and got downright cool the last two days! It was an awesome time to hang out with great new and old VW friends. We had at least 88 VWs and their enthusiast owners, families, pets, camping accessories and decorations, swap parts, vintage bikes and lots of canoes/kayaks for the lakeside weekend. 15 trophies were presented, lots of awesome campfire cooking was shared with friends and campsite neighbors (thanks Jim Kirk for all of that awesome pulled pork you made for everyone!), piles of door prizes donated (thank you all!) and then given away! And it sounds like everyone got home roundtrip just fine too! We had an awesome tailwind scootin' us back towards St. Louis!

Some of the Chicago area VW enthusiast VWs at BNNTA 2011.

Again, Kathryn and I really appreciate all of the wonderful friends we've make while hosting all 26 of these BNNTA events over the past 20 years, and hope you'll all mark your 2012 calendars for the 2012 Labor Day weekend and that you and yours will join us for the 27th BNNTA festivities! Now we are going down for a well-deserved nap!

Please feel free reply to this thread with your favorite photos and comments about the weekend!

Bill Bowman
your BNNTA host
www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: