Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your fondest memory in your Vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still have this Vw ?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 61 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 94

Emerson5057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vw was first car I ever owned / worked on. I remember being super intimidated, and then one day I took off the door locks and put them back on and realized how easy it was. Since then I have completely rebuilt the Carb and I am even considering trying the engine soon. Smile
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping with my old girlfriend (who was way,way too pretty for the likes of me) who was intrigued by my 64 Kombi with homemade camper interior. We were stuck on a Colorado forest service road at 2am, 2 hours of laughing,working,cussing,loving...amazing connection to everything. Sold the bus to pay for a semester of college, what was I thinking.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
maximan1 wrote:
gettin laid in the back.

damn bugs are too small for this activity haha

That's why the factory installed ankle straps in the B-pillars.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
vugbug68 wrote:
maximan1 wrote:
gettin laid in the back.

That's why the factory installed ankle straps in the B-pillars.

i thought there were more like the saddle style straps, like where you put your feet in...not so much the ankles..

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's dad had a couple of bugs growing up, she told me her and her sisters would have to get out in their dress's and push it off while her dad poped to clutch to get it started. This was on snowy days in up state NY. He gave me an old vw repair manual I need to find it . it looked to be a first addition if I remember right , it was a small book.
flat4powerhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first car i bought a 72 super beetle, picked up my girlfriend in it and she loved it (later i married her). The car later met her death,some old lady pulled out infront of me. A 72 bug vs a lincon need less to say i didnt win

78 bay window truck
68 baja bug
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this past new years, i wen to a party in the 78 westy, and a really long time friend and i decided to go camping afterwards, so at about 1230am, she grabbed a bunch of blankets, and the two of us took off for the mountians about a hour away. found a cliff where someone had left a fire burning, so we added some wood we found nearby, and built up the fire, and then spent the night up on the cliff, with a view of the valley. at this point, the two of use are getting a lot closer, and hopefully someday ill marry her....someday. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not my fondest, but:

Coming down a mile long hill in Connecticut in my Beetle trying not to overrev the engine or overheat the brakes, flying into a traffic circle at the bottom, skidding 3/4 of the way around the circle while other cars stopped, and going on my way still alive, upright, and not having soiled myself.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own VW # 58 since the late 60's, so I don't have attachment stories for them all. Many were picked up at auction, rebuilt and sold for a few bucks profit.

But . . . sex in my '63 convertible definitely stands out!!!
Damian Gomez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
maximan1 wrote:
gettin laid in the back.

oh youd be surprised... and im 5'11
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving to work in my '72 Bug in minus 30C Winter weather with no heat.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

Driving my then 3yo daughter around in my newly restored bus... man she loved that thing, and I enjoy the memories... thing that sucks most is all the pics I had of her in it were stored on Epson site back then and now the site shut down and stole my pics....

would love to have that bus now but I fear it's in Japan, haven't seen nor heard hide or hair of it...........
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

No room for activities? Wrong - just throw the passenger seat out and there is plenty of room. Just don't park in the middle of a creek - the seat gets wet. Patti had to sit on the wet spot for the way back to her dad's place.
Dave
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

Fondest memory was back in 1984, skating back home, on my skate board down Central Ave in Montclair, CA, coming back from Pipeline Skate Park. We were just South of Mission Blvd, there was a large corn field on the right hand (west) side of the street. The farmers had cut down part of the field and stopped just short of an old car. Me being almost 14 (legal driving age was 18 at the time, 16 to get a permit) at the time, recognized it as an old Bug. Walked up to the car, pushing the long corn stocks out of the way. Making my way around the car, I could see it had an Oval window, it had Semaphores, it had most of the interior, but it all was shot. It was a big project (did not realize that at the time).

I skated home as quickly as I could and begged my Dad to go back so we could look at the car. He agreed to go. Walked up to the door and asked about the car. The owner stated it was For Sale for $1200 and that it ran when it was parked there several months ago. They said to come by the next day if I was serious and that they would start it.

My father and I drove back over there the next day, around 6 PM. It had been pushed onto the driveway. Owner meet us by the car. They got in and started it up. I agreed to purchase it and handed over $1200.00. Again, I was 13, never had a car or a project like this. My mother screamed at my father for several hours.

Anyways, my father went and picked up my mother, so that she could drive the truck back to the house. Me and my father sat in the car. He started it up and we drove off towards our home, about 8 miles away. I pulled it into the garage from the driveway, and watched my mothers face. She had the look of "the Scream" by Van Gogh!

Here are some restored photos from an old roll of film found in the bottom of a box from my childhood.

The day it drove into the garage. (That's a 73 Super Beetle in the background. The family car!)

3 years later, through a lot of body work completed at my Dads cabinet shop.

Me and my little sister messing around by the Bug! She was pissing me off that day!

Me and the old man pushing it back indoors.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

... doing the longest all-night Leadfoot ralyee in the USA, at the time - mid 1960s in my dad's new red 1965 Karmann Ghia convertible.

Then me doing the Leadfoot in my 1965 bug, a few years later... that year, we finished, even though, early on, we hit a pole, on a dark curve at 2 AM

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

Driving my 73 deluxe type 1 cross country, I was 19 and it was 1979 with not a care in the world. Day two I drove all day from Houston to El Paso flat out 75miles an hour sometimes over 80, nobody said I couldn’t. The car never missed a beat as I rolled into Long Beach California, made it in 4 days from Pensacola Florida. Today all these years later I’ve got a 74 but it’s yellow instead of Marina Blue but every time I drive it I’m transported back to that time in 1979 and I remember what it was like to on the road by myself. All I had back then was a Pioneer Supertuner with Jensen Triaxle speakers and an assortment of 8 track tapes. Very Happy
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

My first VW was in 1978. I've owed and driven more Ghia's, bug's and buses than I want to try to list right now. I've had many great memories in all of them. I went VW less in 2012 for about five years. Last year I got a new bus to make more memories in.

No way could I pick one.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

Man, there are so many VW memories, but one of my favorites was going to the Rose Parade, New Year's Eve 1974. It was the first time my GF and present wife spent the night together. It wasn't our "first time", but it was the first time we didn't have to listen for parents coming home and interupting us. The night was awesome, all the cars cruising that night, '55 Chevys, Hemi Mopars, literally everything! We had a spot where we opened the hatch and it was looking out on Colorado Blvd. We got a pizza and watched Olivia Newton John on the little 13" black and white TV that plugged into the cigarette lighter. This picture was taken the day after we were married in July of '75. I graduated Sub School on 7-2, flew to Vegas, got there after midnight and got married on 7-3, then drove the Westy back to CA. Funny thing is, we only got married 'cause it payed 114 bucks extra and here we are 45 years later, me still screwing around with VW's and her still rolling her eyes at me, LOL!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

I have oh so many of them...but the first was about 4 days after finishing painting entire car and having all the new fenders& stuff on it. I walked out of the shop and the wife was sitting on the hood Shocked ( fiber glass hood) each foot on the bumper......just sitting there.with a smile on her face...and thats all. dam those baja hood's can take a lot. Shocked Wink I wish I could of kept it, but I drive my car. no trailer queens.and Im not one to let a car sit.and paying for insurance on 2 cars that get used or not just aint my idea of good cents. when my 356 is done I may revize that thinking... but dam I had some good times and lots of memerys in the 17~ 18 years that I had that bug. and yes it was 3x as quick as my current bigger motored GM roadster....witch made it way harder to let go.
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

Road trip across Canada and back this past summer. It was truly an epic adventure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: