Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retrofitting an 2.1L Oil Cooler into a 1.9L Digijet
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Retrofitting an 2.1L Oil Cooler into a 1.9L Digijet Reply with quote

Hey group!

I finally got my 2.2L wasserboxer mit digijet fuel injection running properly after putting in a 3-wire O2 sensor!! Mileage is now 19+ in town, ~22 on the open road, and ~26 on backroads @ 50 mph in Central California!

Though I've never had any overheating at all in almost 28+ years as using DAS BOX as my primary driver, and have regularly changed the oil and everything else, I've got a question, which is as follows:

I've got the parts available to retrofit a 2.1L digifant oil cooler to my 2.2L digijet engine. If I was to go ahead I would not do a digifant retrofit to make it a water to oil cooler, but rather I'd route a hose up into the left rear D-pillar to catch it's air flow to be used as the cooling medium rather than doing a rather significant restructuring of the water cooling hoses in the back left side of the engine. I'd make a pressure routing of air with all possible moisture draining without entering the oil cooling duct.

Any comments?? I'd appreciate any feedback that my fellow Sambanistas could throw at this idea!!

Windnsea

BTW, DAS BOX is now approaching 300,000 miles of enjoyed driving, and is starting to whisper as I sleep ( WRX STI, WRX STI,WRX STI,WRX STI)!

Is this like those Canadian Vanagons chanting "Wheetabix, Wheetabix, Wheetabix" ?

I think that those Canuck Vans need more fiber under their wheels!!

Windnsea
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details on the 3 wire oxy sensor please.
Not sure of your explanation of retrofit 2.1 system, but I'd rcommend 10cents cooler system or your own of the same variation. Chris has put together a kit to same you all the time and trials,
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you right you would use the water/oil cooler but run air though it instead of water? I don think this would be efficient enough to do anything at all even if you were to get an air flow through there which is unlikely. Water absorbs much more heat than air so the water/oil cooler is small and doesn't have much surface area for heat transfer. What you need is a radiator in the D piller that you move the oil through.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is NOT an oil cooler. It is a heat exchanger. Or "stabilizer." It will want to make the water and oil the same temperature. Not much gain there when you talk about cooling.

Mount an external air oil cooler. There are posts on this topic. Might start in the FAQ.

FYI: *IF* current engine is running so well, leave it alone. Do as I did and just build up another newer van. I did and love it. The Suby really makes the van fit in with traffic and even more a joy to drive. My $0.02.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to add an oil cooler, talk to Tencentlife. He has a nice kit for adding cooler to both the 1.9l and 2.1l.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be really interested in the details of adding a 3 line o2 sensor to a digjet with a 2.1 because my single wire sensor is out I believe and I have that same setup.

Thanks,

-Brian E.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not fit with a 1.9 exhaust.Done.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300,000 miles without needing it! Why would you want to add anything that isn't necessary, adds complexity, and has a failure mode? If you are worried about the oil being negatively affected by heat, run synthetic instead of dino.
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:

Hmmm, being that its a 2.1 engine, how can I be sure that I have a 1.9 exhaust? Are they interchangeable?

Thx,

-B
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting an 2.1L Oil Cooler into a 1.9L Digijet Reply with quote

windnsea wrote:
Mileage is now ... ~26 on backroads @ 50 mph in Central California!

Really?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
300,000 miles without needing it!

I know of another one with over 300K miles on it too. NEVER been split apart or heads off.

You got to figure the math says there must be a few that beat the curve.

It DOES happen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bserret wrote:
Captain Pike wrote:

Hmmm, being that its a 2.1 engine, how can I be sure that I have a 1.9 exhaust? Are they interchangeable?

I think the Cap'n was referring to the 2.1 oil/water heat exchange.

You should have no problem putting a 3-wire O2 sensor on a 1.9 or 2.1 or whatever if that is what you want. Desirability may depend in part on where you live and how you drive.
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Thanks, didn't mean to derail the thread. I will go ahead and get a 3 wire.. My 85 runs pretty hot - I have looked at those oil coolers but it seems a bit too fiddly. I am going to start by going after my radiator - I suspect it is getting clogged.

-B
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: