Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trigger Wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarred wrote:
Now available on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/181630129354?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Anyone tried this?
i emailed them no answer.

i appreciate many of the shops making MS parts, but come on….. An aluminum pulley with a gear on the back, $200?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjim wrote:
jarred wrote:
Now available on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/181630129354?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Anyone tried this?
i emailed them no answer.

i appreciate many of the shops making MS parts, but come on….. An aluminum pulley with a gear on the back, $200?

That's a custom distributor based wheel and cap replacement with hall pickup, and was ~$125. With the right wheel (12-1, not 12-2) you can do full sequential using that single wheel on MS2E/MS3

He can make that too by request, he's an MS1 guy so that's set up for MS1, looks like a 6-1 crank wheel to the MS1.(opposing missing teeth)

He may have sold out of them.

I rolled my own using a 36 tooth wheel for an RC gas truck (steel spur gear) and a touch of weld to fill the gap between teeth, sensor didn't like one ground out much.
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your traxxis mod. Pretty neat.
I think his was 12-1 on his YouTube vid
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking you could probably file a tiny bit of steel to fill in decent between the teeth on that Traxxas gear, JBWeld it in and finish file it to shape.

The hall sensor probably wouldn't care, and no welding.
A little nub to mount it on the 009s shaft would still be required, but that should cost $5 and could even be plastic (or molded "steel putty" Twisted Evil ) and made with a drill/file.

The $12 gear would be the "expensive" part. The sensor is <$5.

I might have to spin something up this weekend to see just how simple I can make one.
I'll see if I can score a 60 tooth. I have more sensors...
vintagespeedwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like money maker to me. Well as long as you answer emails lol.
dduvall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarred wrote:

Any chance your still making these? looking for a 12-1 to use on my type3 to replace my distributor and go to sequential with LS2.

Thanks,
Daniel Du Vall
68squared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the guts of saab and volvo distys for a trigger wheel and sensor if you're on a budget or don't want a wheel on the crank
jarred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here, sorry about the non-response. Have had a bunch of stuff going on. Am currently prototyping a circuit to fit in that hall sensor cap to trigger the VW coil pack directly but using the mechanical advance of the 009 instead of a megasquirt or some other cpu. So simplicity of mechanical advance (for those not dyno-ing and deriving advance curves), less wiring, and without the cap/rotor/points replace 'n adjust trouble.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Would there be a way to mount a trigger wheel for EDIS inside the dizzy this way? I'm thinking of going EDIS to replace my distributor and running it with my carb until I piece together the parts to go efi.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jarred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

EDIS still requires the SAW signal to perform timing advance. Without the SAW signal from a FI controller, EDIS will run in limp mode with advance stuck on 10 degrees BTDC. While EDIS is a rock solid platform and I have used it myself in another megasquirted car, there isn't much effort saved in wiring up an EDIS system over running a sensor directly to the FI controller and have the controller fire the ignitors.
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Digging up an old thread.

Stumbled across this earlier today and thought it relevant to this discussion:

http://thedubshop.goodsie.com//crank-trigger-package-vw-type-3

even with the sensor located between the gen and fan it looks to be a PITA to install a new belt. nonetheless, nice execution.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks, I did not know that anyone made a mount for the IGN-4 coils. Its way nicer that my current installation.

Its good to see high quality Type III specific MegaSquirt installation kits.
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Belated update--- a 72 tooth 32 pitch rc truck fits in a 009... just.
The sensor would have to go on the OD of the can, as the wheel clears the ID by ~1mm or less, so you would need to make a hall module for it and have the gear sensor go into a hole to get the ~1mm gap.
Mick
Mick-n-chips

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Do you mean a gear wheel?

The 'triangular' profile of a gear wheel is not optimal for triggering as there will be some variation in the sensor trigger distance based on temperature etc.

The net effect would mean that as the trigger distance changed the the timing would change.

This is why trigger wheels have a square profile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Theoretically yes, but its not enough to cause visible timing variation even at idle with ms2e or ms3.
(Using an ATS667 gear sensor vs a gear with filled in missing tooth, filing one out causes issues, likely with the onboard AGC circuit)

Also, the runout is insignificant and the machined gear teeth are very regular.
Mick
Mick-n-chips

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

The ATS667 sensors are generally used for speed / direction detection not position. Even the spec sheet for the ATS667 specifies a square toothed target as being optimal.

Relative repeatability is quoted as 0.06 degrees at 1000rpm which would most likely equate to 0.36 degrees at 6000rpm (for an optimal target)

You will also see a variation in signal as the sensing distance changes. I think that you would easily see 0.5 degree overall variation and possibly more. And that's not even taking into account runout and propagation variance.

Probably fine for a road car but would be less than optimal for a performance application.

Why design a system that starts off with such a high deviation? Much better to start off with an optimal target. It's not like you are really saving money versus using a proper trigger. I don't see the logic in providing a modern EFI or Ignition system a junk input signal. junk in = junk out.

That's my 02c
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Apparently .36 degrees potential variation averaged out through the ecus electronics and firmware still isnt measurable variation using a timing light at 12,000 wheel rpm, but ymmv.

If your application somehow requires nuclear spec gear, do what you gotta do.

Note tbat crank flex from flywheel to pulley end at high power levels is probably ~same range of error.
Mick
Mick-n-chips

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

piledriver wrote:
Note tbat crank flex from flywheel to pulley end at high power levels is probably ~same range of error.

...exactly my point.

Your design philosophy seems to ignore all of these errors as being insignificant

However what you are missing is that all of these insignificant errors will add up to be a significant error.

I thought I was being helpful by bringing your attention to the variation you will see due to the less than optimal trigger profile - just in case you were not aware of it. However if you are already aware of it but have elected to ignore it, that's fine.

Not really interested in arguing who is right or wrong. Your definition of an acceptable error is clearly different to mine.

I see this as an easy to remedy error which can easily be removed from the tolerance stack-up, making the end result more accurate and reliable.

It is clear that your design philosophy differs greatly to mine. Let's leave it at that.
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trigger Wheels Reply with quote

Indeed, i tried it and it works very well, with no measurable error at any RPM, and it has provided bulletproof service for many years.

You discard it out of hand because you read about it, its theoretically not perfect so must be rubbish.

Do what you gotta do.

I simply tried it to see how well it worked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: