Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official High-roof Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

campism wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
Oh boy? Someone stacked 5 tops onto a van without strapping them down and then hit the freeway. It's no surprise that one flew off the stack. If there was justice it would have landed on the idiot who thought that was a good idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You’re not giving them any credit for strapping the van to the truck. Very Happy

There is no "associative property" with strapping.

There is no wind drag in Russia
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

This might be old news, but I just stumbled upon it... Shocked

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/collections/led-lighting/products/reimo-hightop

And

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/collections/led-lighting/products/reimo-t3-interior-conversion-kit

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
This might be old news, but I just stumbled upon it... Shocked

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/collections/led-lighting/products/reimo-hightop

And

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/collections/led-lighting/products/reimo-t3-interior-conversion-kit

That interior kit is a bargain and looks perfect for those that need to raise the engine lid due to a conversion. Crap load of storage under that back cushion! Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Autostadt West is also a Reimo distributor

http://autostadtwest.com/

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Henley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Hi all, I am trying to figure out how the factory VW high tops were installed. If they were glued on or if it was bracelets/nuts/bolts? I am looking to purchase a factory hard top, the top and mounting hardwear (if there is any) only. Concerned that if they were applied with adhesive it might be even more difficult to find just the factory top for sale.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Autostadt West is also a Reimo distributor

http://autostadtwest.com/

So is Santa Cruz Campers in Santa Cruz, Ca
I know he has three Reimo tops in stock.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Henley wrote:
Hi all, I am trying to figure out how the factory VW high tops were installed. If they were glued on or if it was bracelets/nuts/bolts? I am looking to purchase a factory hard top, the top and mounting hardwear (if there is any) only. Concerned that if they were applied with adhesive it might be even more difficult to find just the factory top for sale.

For a true Westfalia high top, this thread has lots of information. Good luck on your search!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480815&highlight=limey++high++top

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
RobMoses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zentaka wrote:
Here's a picture of my AdventureWagen:

It gets lots of funny looks but I don't mind, so do I...

Sometimes when I'm driving by I hear kids say things like "Mommy look at the funny van!".

Thanks for the thread, good to see other people adventuring in their high tops!

-Zen

LOL "Mommy look at that funny van!" hahaha I'm die'n.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

The high roof appeal was strong but we wanted more room in general so went outside the VW circle when this one turned up. We'll be giving up the Westy once the Dodge is rolling and the buildout has begun.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

OMG that Dodge is enormous! Shocked

The Western Syncro build
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

No longer than your typical full-size four-door longbed pickup, and it's only nine feet tall. I calculated that while the Westy (empty of cabinets and rear seat) would hold about one cord of wood behind the front seats the Dodge would hold three. That's a lot of space.

It would actually fit in the garage if the door were tall enough. I may have a new household project ahead of me.

montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Howdy Folks!

I know there is a lot of information on what Westy's are worth out there. However, I have a hightop that I've built out myself with the Fiberine style roof. I'm not looking to sell but I am curious about what I may potentially have as an asset. There are a lot of different hightop options with the Adventure Wagon, NAHT, REIMO, and a few others.

My curiosity is, what is the market price for these vans? It looks like most hightops on the classifieds are either air-cooled adventure wagons (for around $10,000) and Syncro water-cooled vans (for around $40,000). What are folks' thoughts on hightop pricing on 2wd water-cooled vans? Or more importantly, for folks who may have had a hightop van, what was its condition, set up, and what did you sell it for?

Any insight or experience out there? Especially beyond the easy answer of "whatever someone would be willing to pay for it?" Very Happy
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

campism wrote:
The high roof appeal was strong but we wanted more room in general so went outside the VW circle when this one turned up. We'll be giving up the Westy once the Dodge is rolling and the buildout has begun.

That dodge is the same length as Vanalong (20ft)

Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Is Coast Mountain hightops still around?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

campism wrote:
No longer than your typical full-size four-door longbed pickup, and it's only nine feet tall. I calculated that while the Westy (empty of cabinets and rear seat) would hold about one cord of wood behind the front seats the Dodge would hold three. That's a lot of space.

I once did that in my '68 Westy. Pulled out the interior and drove up to the hills where I could buy some wood...I had so much wood that the tires were rubbing on speed bump and this was a lifted Westy with 15" tires.
If I remember correctly the '68 was rated at 3/4 ton capacity.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

That was a volume calculation. I'd never subject the vehicle to such a load. I did once bring home about fifteen 80# bags of concrete for a project and was amazed at how well the Westy handled the load.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
campism wrote:

I once did that in my '68 Westy. Pulled out the interior and drove up to the hills where I could buy some wood...I had so much wood that the tires were rubbing on speed bump and this was a lifted Westy with 15" tires.
If I remember correctly the '68 was rated at 3/4 ton capacity.

Getting off topic but I once had 2400 lbs of gravel (scale weighed at exit) in my '71 bus. Still had travel left in the suspension. Good thing I had only 8 miles to get home as the little 1600cc aircooled engine did not like that load much... Laughing

The Western Syncro build
johnnytod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

How to install an Adventurewagen high top?

Hi guys I just became the proud owner of a VW Vanagon 1.9 diesel and I am transferring an Adventurewagen high top from another van.
I already removed it from the donor van but I have 3 doubts now that everything is taken down:

1. In the original installation there were 2 rubber bands with metal mesh inside in the front part and in the back. They cover the screws and sit right above the rubber of the windshield. What is the right sequence of installing there rubber bands with metal mesh? Do you first put the caulking, then put the high top on top with the rubber band already pushed in, the open the rubber band and put the screws in? Or do you first set the high top on top of cauking, then try to lift it slightly to push through the rubber band underneath and put the screws inside?
Where can I buy this heavy duty rubber bands with metal mesh?

2. Inside the Adventurewagen there is a wood trim on both sides that go along the length of the van. They sit horizontally right between the metal roof and where the fiberglass high top starts. They are screwed in into the metal frame of the roof. Do you put these wood trims in before you put the high top or after? I noticed that before I took the high top out, these trims were not coming out eventhough I had unscrewed them completely. I believe this was because the high top gets more narrow as it goes up so it was kind of not allowing them to go up and out. I did not push very hard but that was my impression. Which makes me think that I have to put the trims first in and then lower the high top on top, otherwise it may not work or it may push the contact out between the cauking and the high top if I try to put them in after the high top is lowered in place.

3. On both sides of the high top , I really liked those original chrome trims but when I popped them out, the metal rails in which they clip and in which the screws are bolted are rusted and degraded. So does anyone know where one can buy these metal straps with the exact same dimension?
Otherwise I would have to buy an aftermarket RV strap with vinyl cover which is not that cool

Sorry about the long confusing description but if you have done this before, you would know what I am talking about. I will try to post some pictures of the above points.
Help is much appreciated!

I WOULD LOVE TO HIRE SOMEBODY WITH EXPERIENCE IN HIGH TOP INSTALLATION FOR A DAY TO COME HELP ME WITH THE INSTALL, CAULKING AND ADJUSTMENT. I am the Bay Area.

P.S. I have a body / frame chassis and a lot of parts left for sale from the donor 1981 VW Vanagon (gas)

johnnytod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread - high top roof windows water Reply with quote

Does anyone has these flares above the high top roof?
If so I would love to know who makes them.
The side windows on the high top roof are prone to water infiltration through the hinge on the top of the windows, so I am curious as to what other solutions have people found out?
I saw some mounting rubber strips on top of the upper hinge and screwing the rubber strips with some alu flat strips. I kind of like the flares better.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

That looks like a typical aftermarket sunroof fairing. We bought one for our '05 Civic. Check Weathertech, but I don't know if they list measurements or just vehicle applications, which won't help much.

https://www.weathertech.com/sunroof-wind-deflector/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: