Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outy versus innie engine vents
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Outy versus innie engine vents Reply with quote

What was the logic of switching from outtie versus innie engine vents ?

Was it cosmetic and did not want the lines of vehicle sticking out or was it for a reason such as to better air flow or negative pressure.
malachai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so that the new sliding door option would work without dents or swearing.
It probably also made a deluxe very slightly cheaper to manufacture as I don't think there is any trim on inny vents, I doubt that was the reason though.
WallysRiviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innie vents more streamlined....less wind resistance. Wink
57palm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: for greater safety Reply with quote

I recall reading the vents were changed to innie as well as the bullet signals turned to flat for safety reasons. Imagine a slow speed collision with a pedestrian and they hit the bullet signal...ouch or get cut but the vents........ouch again.

RM
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: for greater safety Reply with quote

57palm wrote:
I recall reading the vents were changed to innie as well as the bullet signals turned to flat for safety reasons. Imagine a slow speed collision with a pedestrian and they hit the bullet signal...ouch or get cut but the vents........ouch again.

RM

I'm imagining a slow-mo movie clip of both of those happening to the same person, only a second apart. Laughing
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: for greater safety Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
57palm wrote:

RM

I'm imagining a slow-mo movie clip of both of those happening to the same person, only a second apart. Laughing

If a Ninja drove a bus, thats what he would do Very Happy
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: for greater safety Reply with quote

57palm wrote:
I recall reading the vents were changed to innie as well as the bullet signals turned to flat for safety reasons....

RM

Yes, these were safety upgrades...along with the switch from ice-pick style door handles to push button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And high hinge to low hinge cargo doors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy, House, and 57 Palm are pretty much right on with the safety issue answer. I was in the Navy returning from a tour of duty in Japan in late 1963 and recall reading an article in the auto section of the Pacific edition of Stars and Stripes (the military newspaper)
Ralph Nader and his people known as "Naders Raiders" had been after
the Corvair by Chevy as well as Volkswagen for some time. They claimed the rear engine Corvair and the bug would "tuck under" rear
axle wise and roll thus should not be sold. They also did some "tests" with a number of cars, Cadillac and Oldsmobile were two I remember, that supposedly did bad things to folks in a low speed, car / pedestrian
collision. Eventualy Corvairs went out of production.
VW wasn't specificaly called out on the car/ pedestrian thing, although Nader tried to claim the vent trim could puncture the skin of a person hit by a bus or catch their clothes and possibly drag them. VW got the message and changed what they could. A number of ads came out showing bugs with cars and other heavy weights on them that didn't crush the car. The article I read in Stars and Stripes had to do with an independent survey that showed the "VW Bug" was much more manueverable in traffic and thus safer in avoiding head on collisions. Sounded good to me! I bought a new one in '66 while stationed in San Diego and 43 years later still own it. Very Happy
malachai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was so that the sliding door would work, sliding doors became available a couple of weeks after inny vents, bullets were still around for another 5 months until they made the rear hatch bigger for the 64 year model.
high hinges ended a couple of years before all of this and ice picks ended a few months before inny vents were started
I can't imagine pedestrians were ever really hurt by outty vents
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low hinges were adopted immediately after semaphores were discontinued (on Euro buses).

No co-incidence there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malachai wrote:
it was so that the sliding door would work, sliding doors became available a couple of weeks after inny vents, bullets were still around for another 5 months until they made the rear hatch bigger for the 64 year model.
high hinges ended a couple of years before all of this and ice picks ended a few months before inny vents were started
I can't imagine pedestrians were ever really hurt by outty vents

I thought for Export, the bullets were changed in 61 and "fried eggs" started Aug 61. Not sure about Euro type II. Ive seen 62s with bullets. Isnt the millionth bus a bullet 62?

Also innie vents started in July 63??
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read and heard that changes like those were body contact safety issues which always struck me as strange (pun intended). In the US, for example, spinner hubcaps were considered outlaw: much like a Ben Hur effect. You could get them on a '63 Falcon or the later Mustang for a premium price, of course. Allstate insurance wouldn't allow you to drive with them in California.
57palm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make the "sliding door" idea go away. If you look at any sliding door it easily clears the 1/2 inch the vents would stick out. The only area that might come close is the sliding rear mount bracket under the belt line.

RM
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malachai wrote:
bullets were still around for another 5 months until they made the rear hatch bigger for the 64 year model.

US Buses didn't have bullets beginning with the 1962 model year. My understanding is the European Buses had bullets at least through 1962.
malachai wrote:
ice picks ended a few months before inny vents were started

Innie vents began March 6, 1963
Push button front handles began Dec., 18, 1963
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malachai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57palm wrote:
Please make the "sliding door" idea go away. If you look at any sliding door it easily clears the 1/2 inch the vents would stick out. The only area that might come close is the sliding rear mount bracket under the belt line.

RM

Are you sure, I'm sure I read in another thread that it was the reason, and the dates they both started were very close, but I've never actually checked.

EverettB wrote:
malachai wrote:
bullets were still around for another 5 months until they made the rear hatch bigger for the 64 year model.

US Buses didn't have bullets beginning with the 1962 model year. My understanding is the European Buses had bullets at least through 1962.
malachai wrote:

yeah I meant euro busses, I forgot that you guys got them at different times
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sliding door announcement from the USA but it has no date:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=243669
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The date of the magazine was September 1, 1963.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression the sliding door itself was considered safer as it didn't require the operator to be as far from the vehicle and could operate in close quarters of curbs and traffic.
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
malachai wrote:

malachai wrote:

Innie vents began March 6, 1963
Push button front handles began Dec., 18, 1963
I got "outy" vents on my Dec. 9th '63 Scab and I must have the last couple weeks of ice-pics as well. "Mr. Armstrong" noticed the vents a couple days ago and thought it was odd...
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Pedigo wrote:
I got "outy" vents on my Dec. 9th '63 Scab and I must have the last couple weeks of ice-pics as well. "Mr. Armstrong" noticed the vents a couple days ago and thought it was odd...

Trucks had outie vents all the way through '65, unlike Buses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: