Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helpful camping tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a question that I didn't feel needed its own thread:
What is the shore power voltage in NA?
I ask this because my Westy is a Euro-Spec (220v), and I can't seem to find a 110v replacement for the power converter.
Anybody?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
I ask this because my Westy is a Euro-Spec (220v), and I can't seem to find a 110v replacement for the power converter.
Anybody?

120v?

http://www.amazon.com/One-Voltage-Converter-240V-120V/dp/B000E5W6ZI
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee

Last edited by Timwhy on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't think I would need to go into detail, but here it is:

Next year we plan on shipping Domo to NA, and travel around US and Canada for a year or so.
Domo is a 220v user. I will need to convert him to a 110v user. The ORIGINAL Westfalia converter under the bench seat is NOT a dual-volt user.

Last edited by Team WorldTour on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
Anybody?

120/110V

Maybe this will help: http://buyersguide.bargainoffers.com/voltage_guide.shtml ?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a two way.
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Voltage-Converter-120V-220V/dp/B002Q6PUH4
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy loves the phrase 'vice versa'!
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes' lurkin'. For now... Cool
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you figure out what you do need to take, I suggest you make a check-off list of those items. Nothings worse than being out in BFE only to discover you forgot something really important like water. Yeah, I forgot the water once. Another time we forgot our folding table that we really rely on. Make a list...check it twice.

Speaking of water.....the wife and I did some backpack-type camping this year. We bought one of those water filters so we didn't have to carry water. It's basically a bag with a filter at the bottom of it and a tube to drain the filtered water into your clean container. Catadyne or Katadyne(can't remember) is the brand. Works great and now we don't have to carry as much water in the van as we used to. We'll just make more.
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rarely spend time cleaning dishes while camping. It helps that my husband's cooking makes me want to lick the plate clean. He uses a nonstick skillet for breakfast burritos and everything just peels right off.

Aside from the nonstick pan method, I can't say enough good things about a wok! We figured out that the wok will nest inside the sink with the stovetop folded down on top of it. It's just a Cost Plus cheapo wok. The key is to season it. Do this at home while cooking across a number of meals. You heat it on high until the metal turns kind of blue, use a high heat oil, chop up scallions and bacon and garlic and just keep swiping around on the inside for awhile until those ingredients get all wilted. This starts the seasoning process. Then you have to continue to be careful with it, not ever using scrubbies or soap on it.

This is apparently the old Chinese way of using woks. We totally never knew this and then our vegan chef friend told us about it. The key is to open the pores of the metal and fill it with oils, which helps it to become a non stick surface. Once your wok is seasoned, then you don't need to use soap on it anymore. Just use a paper towel and salt for abrasion to clean it off post-cooking. Once it becomes a seasoned wok, it turns black and slick. It's kind of dreamy, not having to clean much and knowing there's a whole civilization's history backing up the validity of this laziness.

Here's a link to see more about this process: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/wokcare.html

We have a spice wheel we fill up and a squeezy bottle full of olive oil. Then we have loads of veggies and tofu, which is in a sealed cooler-safe container. Slice up ingredients, toss it all in the wok and add spices constantly: hot meal with very little post-meal cleanup.

I can't say we've ever boiled water in the van. But when we use the stove, we always line the backsplash with aluminum foil to catch any overspray and prevent the heat from warping the rubber stovetop edge. After camping we just peel that part off and it's instantly clean again.

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used seawater and sand too, works well.
I also have a ZODI pressure washer. Its basically a stainless pressure washer. You can go to the hardware store and buy one of almost equal quality at less than half the price. The ZODI holds about 2.5 gallons and comes in really handy. I like that it is totally portable and I can put it on the campfire, the little tripod it comes with or pour hot water in it from the stove (it too tall to sit directly on the stovetop. While in motion I secure it to the front table leg and I can use it in the sink too, thereby keeping my tank water mostly for drinking/cooking etc. I usually put stream/lake water in the ZODI.
SAMBA!
Oh and I keep a good stash of kipper-snacks on hand.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pressure washer sounds great. I looked at a website that has several kinds. Which do you have?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing i've figured out since we have been sleeping in lucy, it's not always easy to find flat ground, so i use the original jack to level out the back, we figure out which way the ground leans, park the sliding door on the high side, and use the jack to lift it level, in either the front or rear jacking point, i always leave a note on the dash, to remind me that there's a jack under us

also that ingles supermarkets that have a starbucks in them, usually have free wifi Very Happy

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
This pressure washer sounds great. I looked at a website that has several kinds. Which do you have?

I currently have a ZODI brand pressure sprayer. But any stainless chemical sprayer would work. They come in various sizes from hardware outlets. On the one I used to have I modified the hose (longer) for better showering. The ZODI kit I have came with a tripod and burner designed for the diposable propane canisters. I've only used it that way a few times but the tripod would make a good portable stand for cooking big pots of whatever too. The quality of the pump, valves and hose etc on the ZODI is better than what you get at hardware stores but both function the same.
Happy Camping!
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they sell egg protection containers and my wife has had one or two over the 40 years we've been camping.
Always looking for "free" good camping enhancements.........

I recently picked up a few boxes of Land of Lakes brown eggs, it was a 2 fer deal!

BTW The eggs are excellent, very tasty.......

They come over protected in clear plastic. A multi-fold box that gently holds and protects each individual egg.

You can splurge and buy these eggs for vacation, or buy them once and keep using the box over and over for your favorite egg brand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing about eggs is that if you get local fresh eggs, they can be stored at room temp. no need to take cooler/fridge space.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrswim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Cash in $1s, 5s, and 10s Reply with quote

Cash in $1s, 5s, and 10s...

For those pay-at-the-entry, unstaffed campsites. It saves stuffing twenties in for $10 sites, with no change available.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cash in $1s, 5s, and 10s Reply with quote

syncrswim wrote:
...For those pay-at-the-entry, unstaffed campsites. It saves stuffing twenties in for $10 sites, with no change available.
Think
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There it is:

Quote:
. . .

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who reads the subject line? I thought it came from the blue too.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: