Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just cut the EEC out of the system if you dont have to worry about emissions? just kill the tee and run a single hose from the intake to the dizzy. that would also give you a good test for seeing if it is affecting performance at all....gonna have to try that tomorrow....hmm

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

I am thinking of just plugging the line off of the T that goes to the EEC. Like inject some epoxy into the lumen of the replaceable vacuum tubing that is dedicated to the EEC. Essentially eliminating the EEC while not disturbing the visual layout of the vacuum lines.

I am sending the dizzy out for a rebuild this week. The new Kyle harness has smoothed out some issues and paired with a tune up of a number of other parts of the FI system, it is getting better and better.

Just a regular guy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I am thinking of just plugging the line off of the T that goes to the EEC. Like inject some epoxy into the lumen of the replaceable vacuum tubing that is dedicated to the EEC. Essentially eliminating the EEC while not disturbing the visual layout of the vacuum lines.

I was diagnosing a Mercedes W123 a few months ago, where the vacuum mishaps would change components based on which direction I had the vacuum Tee facing… Turns out, there was a major vacuum leak in the climate controls, so they put a BB in the Tee. My guess so the hack wouldn't be noticed by smog referees/car show judges? Either way, it threw me for a damn loop! Make sure whatever you do stays in your brain noodle, lest the next guy (or worse, you!) gets his jimmies rustled.

I applaud your dedication to keeping up appearances, but perhaps the lack of correctness will motivate you to look harder for a new air cleaner with working valve? Cool Most of the good parts dismantlers should know how to check it if you ask them.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

I have to ask if there is a reason to have a working EEC that is better than just bypassing it.

Just a regular guy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

yes

it only lets fumes into the airbox when the engine has enough of a vacuum to do something with them. Some vehicles used a lever to open a port, some used a solenoid, and some used vacuum. I've had all three on my cars and they all do the same job. Air cooled VW's are the only one I've seen who blow air thru the canister to help purge it.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

I pulled the vac line off the EEC and it did not change the idle or engine running. I'll test the EEC and likely hook the vacuum back up as designed this week some time.

Just a regular guy
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I pulled the vac line off the EEC and it did not change the idle or engine running. I'll test the EEC and likely hook the vacuum back up as designed this week some time.

Dollars to donuts your diaphragm is bad.

It's throttle plate vacuum; it'll make a difference.

That said,
Wonder if you could use the other thin hose and 't' off of it to have a lower vacuum signal,
And make the diaphragm less prone to damage?

Maybe with a couple coils off the spring? Think Think Think

What’s That Noise?!?
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Dollars to donuts your diaphragm is bad.

It's throttle plate vacuum; it'll make a difference.

That said,
Wonder if you could use the other thin hose and 't' off of it to have a lower vacuum signal,
And make the diaphragm less prone to damage?

Maybe with a couple coils off the spring? Think Think Think

Let me correct my statement. I pulled the vac line off of the EEC and plugged the vac line. This resulted in no changes.

Just frustrated trying to get my Camper Special to idle as well as my stock engine did. Once I get the dizzy back, I'll get that on and timed, but have no reason to doubt my current one. I think it must be related to the cam profile in some way.

Just a regular guy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

Otiswesty, perhaps your idle frustrations could be moved to a separate thread. This may be bigger than your EEC valve. A Camper Special has operating parameters unlike a stock engine, so you may need to consider other components in diagnosing an idle issue.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

Or start by reading this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292507&highlight=camper+idle
You aren't the only one Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

It has everything to do with the cam profile which is why Jake magnates the Mallory Unilite distributor with his camper special engines. But as I stated earlier in your other thread those distributors went south quality wise right around the same time the the type 1 pumps quality went to hell. I would contact Clatter and get his thoughts as to how to solve your idle issue.
gkalexdc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diet Pepsi King wrote:
Thanks for the tutorial Amskeptic. I have been trying to track down a fuel smell while driving and having no luck as of yet, but I stumbled along this thread yesterday.
I checked mine and sure enough it leaked and the other I had in my basement leaked as well.
So I bought some Permatex black silicone adhesive/sealant and carb cleaner. Cleaned the rubber applied the adhesive over the cracks and let it set for 24 hrs.

Worked like a charm. I now have a spare as well. Thanks again.

You guys should try 3M Black Weatherstrip adhesive on the diaphragm holes, cracks etc. Clean it with Dawn Dishwashing liquid, and water, and let it dry out. Apply 3M, into the hole/crack, let it set for 24 hours, and then RTV the edges as told above by OP. 3M will take the heat and in/out motion, and is like original rubber.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Or start by reading this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292507&highlight=camper+idle
You aren't the only one Wink

Thanks, I'll check that out Wink

Just a regular guy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Late FI Bus EEC Valve Fix Reply with quote

did anyone ever check with 914rubber to see if he still made them?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkalexdc wrote:
You guys should try 3M Black Weatherstrip adhesive on the diaphragm holes, cracks etc. Clean it with Dawn Dishwashing liquid, and water, and let it dry out. Apply 3M, into the hole/crack, let it set for 24 hours, and then RTV the edges as told above by OP.

Has anyone tried Weatherstrip adhesive on their EEC valve diaphragm?
Was it successful?

I have a spare but torn diaphragm (Egads! I can already hear Xevin's response to that statement!) and would like a functioning spare in case it's needed.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: