Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik_K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Hi,

Due to the shortage of good working 6-rib gearbox, I cam across the idea of using one from the Vanagon.

But is it doable? The gearshift is on the side aso.

Anyone succeeded in using one of these in a bay?

Thx.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

If it is the early Vanagon box <1983 1/2, I think you may be able to just bolt a Bay nose cone on the box and be on your way. No expert here though.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Big Bore discussed this. It would require many changes on an 094 - as much work as rebuilding an 091 plus the parts. They are not a direct swap. The answer according to Big Bore (who rebuilt them for a living) is no - you cannot use an 094 by just swapping a nosecone.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Big Bore discussed this. It would require many changes on an 094 - as much work as rebuilding an 091 plus the parts. They are not a direct swap. The answer according to Big Bore (who rebuilt them for a living) is no - you cannot use an 094 by just swapping a nosecone.

Early Vanagons used a 091 box with a different nose cone. As I said, I am not expert though. The 091-1 and 094 boxes are different animals.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

he wrote :
Quote:
"The gearshift is on the side also. "

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
he wrote :
Quote:
"The gearshift is on the side also. "

Yes the Vanagon 091 gear boxes had the side mounted lever in the NOSE CONE, change out the nose cone with a Bay Window style and the shift lever will be come out the front. Can this reasonably be done? Not sure, but a place that rebuilds these boxes would know.

The 091-1 and 094 gear boxes are different animals.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Hey Wildthings, one more time for those in the cheap seats? Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

There may have been something I missed, but I remember doing research on this a few years ago.

I seem to recall that even the early Vanagon gearboxes required much more than simply swapping the nosecone to make work. Having been inside the nose cone of a Bay 091, I can't picture how that would be shifted via any kind of side-shift. But who knows, I could have missed something.

Basically my conclusion was that you, in therory, could convert a Vanagon gearbox to work in a Bay, but it was more complicated that some initially imagine and therefore not really worth it. I almost wonder if it'd be easier to change the Bus to side shift? But it has been more than 10 years since I've had eyes on a Vanagon shifter system.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Henrik_K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Thx guys,

I'll put that thought to sleep...
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

This is what the nose cone interior looked like on my old 1981 Vanagon... which does not look at all like the hockey stick and roller arrangement of my old 1977 Baywindow.

I have zero experience refurbishing these manual transmissions, so this picture is all I can offer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Henrik_K wrote:
Thx guys,

good idea. The two trans for Vanagons are the 091-1 and the 094. Both are referred to as an 094 when ordering parts, and there are differences including gear carriers and some bearing sizes. I say that based on prior threads here where the same question was asked.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Henrik_K wrote:
Thx guys,

good idea. The two trans for Vanagons are the 091-1 and the 094. Both are referred to as an 094 when ordering parts, and there are differences including gear carriers and some bearing sizes. I say that based on prior threads here where the same question was asked.

Wonder why the Vanagon Bentley has a 30ish pages devoted to the 091 transmission?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Henrik_K wrote:
Thx guys,

Wonder why the Vanagon Bentley has a 30ish pages devoted to the 091 transmission?

See the photo Steve (Wasted Youth) posted of the difference in the gear carrier. To replace the gear carrier requires completely dissassembling the gears as well as removing the R&P to get to the pinion nut. Basically it means going thru the whole trans - new parts, all the jigs etc..

I don't know what Bentley has in the Vanagon book but there are plenty threads here on the issue because it gets asked all the time. The 091-1 is a deviant of both the 091 and the 094. Mike (BigBore) has one thread where there are some photos showing some of the differences. Some of the bearing sizes are different according to that thread and the photographs he posted.

example:

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
What I was trying to get across was the 091/1 094 4speed still has a part number starting with 091 on the side of the main case. So you have to know what you are looking at and not just numbers.
To see the differences between a 091 nose cone shifter and a 091/1 there are pictures of the two side by side in the "Transmission for Dummies" Stickies above.
Here is a 091 and 091/1 trans

Another picture showing differences between a 091 and 091/1

This is the gear carriers for a 091 nose cone shifter and the 091 side shift out of side of nose cone

You can see the difference between the shift rails and the extra ear on carrier for shift rod.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Comparing a Vanagon 091-1 to a Bay 091 is pretty worthless, as that conversion can not be reasonably done. To do a Vanagon 091 to a Bay 091 still doesn't seem to be impossible for a motivated individual who has both a good 091 Bay core and a Vanagon 091 in good overall condition.

If Gears or Big Bore say it can't be reasonably done or an experienced shop says it can't be reasonable done, then I will yield.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Comparing a Vanagon 091-1 to a Bay 091 is pretty worthless, as that conversion can not be reasonably done. To do a Vanagon 091 to a Bay 091 still doesn't seem to be impossible for a motivated individual who has both a good 091 Bay core and a Vanagon 091 in good overall condition.

If Gears or Big Bore say it can't be reasonably done or an experienced shop says it can't be reasonable done, then I will yield.

It can be done Mike, just not a simple swap that the average bus owner here can handle. There are a limited number of people here who have even rebuilt a 002 or 091 trans. One would probably find it less expensive to sell the unneeded core and then apply that to a rebuild of the trans they planned to use. A 091-1 shift mechanism could be added to a dune buggy a lot easier than a bus, and the dune buggy crowd pays a pretty penny for all variants of the bus and vanagon transmissions.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

that 094 (Mid shift) vanagon transaxle on the left isn't even close to the 091 variants
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stigma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Using Vanagon 6 rib gearbox in Bay? Reply with quote

Henrik_K wrote:
Thx guys,

Hi Henrik I have built quite a few bay window 6rib gearboxes out of t2 and t3 cores. Its a full strip down and rebuild. Are you trying to save money(as in use cheap and available t3 gearbox cheapest way possible) or just cannot find t2 6rib 091? if the second I'm sure I could help you.

Just few pictures showing main case with tapped oil filler and t2 intermediate housing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: