Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping with kids!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word Aswah!

One more point.

Teaching kids how to pitch in and help is made easier when camping.

They get to wash dishes.. OOH! Fun! Playing with bubbles!
Or take trash to the dumpster.. an adventure! (without Mom and Dad hovering)
Put away thier sleeping bags in the morning...
My son builds the camp fire..

All this translates to more help when you get home. Our kids pack thier own bags now.. Even the 4 yr old.
We provide a list of clothing minimums.. and they choose the toys, books etc to bring. (One Hotwheels car in the woods is worth 50 at home.)

They manage thier own "space" in the van. Places to store items. They keep track of thier own flashlights, bug jars, etc.

They help load the car.. and now at home.. when we return from grocery shopping they help bring in the goods.

Who needs Tetris when you can pack a van instead?

Cooperation, team work, dust and bug bites.
Camping rocks.

Sure kids can be a PIA.. I hope we all remember we were once the same PIA.

Edit to add:
Be careful when visiting theme parks. My son won a big Domo character at Legoland this year. It just about pushed us over the space limits. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note to self.. plan theme parks at the END of a trip. Laughing

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
MacFhearguis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it.

Took our daughter camping at 10 months for about 7 days or so, through Sequoia, Yosemite, and to Santa Cruz.

She has been camping in Bahia Gonzaga, Baja MX, and then up to Telluride. Also along the Mogollon Rim.

And this was all when the wife was preggo with #2.

#2 has been out in the Westy a few time starting at 5 months, and we are heading to UT in a few weeks for several days of camping.

It takes more work, and more patience, but it is worth it.

This is me circa 1984 near Flathead Lake:
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Teaching kids how to pitch in and help is made easier when camping.

All this translates to more help when you get home.

They manage thier own "space" in the van.

They help load the car.. and now at home..

THIS ~ they learn to be INDEPENDENT and HELPFUL

I have my 9yo making her own camping list.
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on all of the above.

We started taking our oldest camping at 9mo (several weeks on the road) and that was before we had the Westy (it's a lot easier with the Westy!).

He is now almost 9yrs old and loves camping. His 20mo old brother now loves camping too. They don't know any different - this is what you do! The van is a source of entertainment as well as transport and shelter - it's a part of our family ("Campy" rocks!). Other kids love the van too- it's the play land for all when other kids are around... forget the big RV they came in, the vanagon is cool!

I always say you need to put the time in early to "train" kids into your lifestyle (outdoor and active) and they will follow suit, making for more complete lives for them. Camping, biking, hiking, skiing/boarding, etc... just go do it. You won't get the same bike ride or sick tree lines you used to get, but the satisfaction of seeing your kids learn and thrive is much better Very Happy

we just got back from a 4 day family CO tour - everyone had a great time and no one wanted it to end.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
t_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first trip with our 14 month old was way more work than I'd planned going in. Don't get distracted by friends with beer - set up camp. Our little girl did great until 1am when she got cold and hungry. Our cooler was buried in the back of a bear box... The Mr Heater Buddy was outside somewhere... We finally found her a hat and things were better. That was about 3 hours later. Live and learn, but she has a great time now (3 trips later).
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot say it enough - do it, go now, no reservations whatsoever.

Spent many, many miles in various Westy's. So many great memories. I am amazed now that I have another Westy that the smallest things will trigger a memory I had long forgotten.

Cannot remember what my first camping trip was, but I was just looking at a picture of my grandmother and I at a campsite in 1974 (I was 5). I know that was the second Westy (followed by a76, 78, 80, 84 and 86) my grandparents owned. I think the 78 was a problem child, and remember breaking down in Florida, NY and NJ.

Now to your question - I have this year introduced my 4 year old to the 'Ways of the Westy", after last years overall introduction to camping (in a pop up trailer). I suppose all children are different in how they handle things, but mine took to it like a frog to a mud puddle. He loves the van, likes to work on it with me, enjoys the whole 'work-reward' thing, sleeps better in the van than at home and looks forward to going out each time and being part of the planning process.

Luggable Loo (under 20 bucks) was the best thing I bought for late night potty breaks for him)

Can be as much work as you let it, and as much fun as you want. All in the planning, just like any other family trip.

I vote in the affirmative - go.

Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a 14 day trip in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with our 9 year old son and our 2 year old daughter. Everything went better than we thought it would (it usually does), and we made tons of memories. Don't hesitate to do the same.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP.
We purchased our van specifically for car camping when we found out that a bun was in the oven. Frankly it is awesome and the wife always says, "these vans were made for camping with kids" and we only have a tin top Syncro. Is it a headache, yes at times, as well as pure chaos but totally worth it. We took our daughter camping for the first time when she was barely 3 weeks old. Found out that cloth diapers are great when a washing machine is close by. We now use disposables when camping, much easier and friendlier on the nose. But if you and you spouse have always gone camping before the addition then why stop now. Get the little one outdoors.

She gets her good looks from mommy.

Here's a web site devoted to getting kids outdoors.
http://outdoorbabynetwork.com/
A friend of ours that lives in Carbondale, CO started the website and has some useful information, tips and ideas. Should help motivate you.

Matt
MacFhearguis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And check this blog out too...great parents, cool kid, and awesome adventures. Had the pleasure of spending some time traveling through Baja with them last summer.

http://www.adventureparents.com/
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2, 5 and 14 year olds. Three Yak racks, one box, one basket, one jumpseat, 4 bike Thule carrier, built a kids cot (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381648).......

.....They love what we do.

The only problem for me is that I have since gotten over the rig being DIRTY all the time. Kids crawl around EVERYTHING get into EVERYTHING.

Of course, this is nothing new to anyone with kids....
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: camping w/ kids. Reply with quote

We were fortunate to have a three year old nephew to take camping with us, until our own kids were born and joined us. Boy, was he scared of his first outhouse! When the young ones, who slept up top, got to a certain age, they usually woke up earlier than us. They wiggled and socked each other. This shook the Westy and we couldn't sleep past sunrise. Everyone was happier when they began sleeping outside in their our private tent, with the dog as guardian.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do to reduce the shakes from the top bunk..... Get an extra jack, stick a jack into the passenger and drivers front jack points and put a little lift on each. This locks down the rig from side to side fairly well and makes the shakes much less noticable.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T TAKE THE KIDS CAMPING!

Believe me. If you do then you are going to hear remembrances of past camping trips, tree frogs found, snipe hunts taken, bee's covering every inch of food that summer at June Lake, you get the picture, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! We always made the mistake of taking one of our daughters friends, or our niece with us. The giggling from the back seat was non-stop as soon as we pulled out of the driveway.

To make matters worse, every one of her camping buddies still come over to visit my wife even though our daughter is 27, married, and lives several miles away. We can't get rid of them, and they're bring their babies over for us to coo at. They always have some story about the "lightning storm in Big Bear", or "I wonder when the Grunion are running in San Diego"? GET OVER IT ALREADY!

Now our daughter is pregnant and talking about taking her daughter camping. Hey, News Flash, baby girl's not even born yet. So why do I already have a Pak-N-Play? Had to get a grey one to match the interior of the Van, BTW.

DON'T LET IT START! Now we'll be stuck getting to know another generation of kids. I can hardly wait Embarassed

YMMV

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love taking the kids camping..... Big Sur, Sierra, Baja, Grand Tetons! The best family adventures! And not to brag (but I will) my kids are way more adventurous and tough than most! But after lots of travels I really like picking a destination and setting up camp for a while (with the kids) as opposed to packing up camp every other day and driving. Next adventure.... back to Lake Alpine in the late summer/early fall.
mrtee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
To the OP.
We purchased our van specifically for car camping when we found out that a bun was in the oven. Frankly it is awesome and the wife always says, "these vans were made for camping with kids" and we only have a tin top Syncro. Is it a headache, yes at times, as well as pure chaos but totally worth it. We took our daughter camping for the first time when she was barely 3 weeks old. Found out that cloth diapers are great when a washing machine is close by. We now use disposables when camping, much easier and friendlier on the nose. But if you and you spouse have always gone camping before the addition then why stop now. Get the little one outdoors.

She gets her good looks from mommy.

Here's a web site devoted to getting kids outdoors.
http://outdoorbabynetwork.com/
A friend of ours that lives in Carbondale, CO started the website and has some useful information, tips and ideas. Should help motivate you.

Matt

Thanks for the info and the link. This post has really got us interested and excited about getting a van soon. (might buy one tomorrow actually if the price is right!).

Dave.
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: More from the last 5 years Reply with quote

Oh - and if you can - fit one of these - our best tip for storage.
You wouldn't believe how many coats, hats, waterproof suits, changes of clothes you can use....

And another tip - we always look out fror public play areas in places we pass through - stop for a brew and let the kids use the swings and slides - unless you pack your own......

Last edited by mikey9 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few things I've learned...

Bring bikes and/or inflatable boat
Portable DVD player in back
On hilly and curvey roads have them look outside at things or they will barf
Car seats are a pain at camp, stored outside with a cover is best
Limit the amount of toys to what will fit in a grocery tote bag
Get them their own headlamps
Games and things inside when the weather is really bad outside (we invented camper van soccer)
And a big one... keep them out of the campfire smoke. Wood smoke is really, really bad for little kids. Keep the fire small, or none at all.
Keep the daily drive to 4-5 hours max. Look for fun places to take breaks.
Put some kind of cover on the seat when they eat, or your van will eventually reek.

It is challenging, but fun in unexpected ways. Keep in mind the logistical nightmare if things go wrong and you are out in the middle of nowhere with an infant or two. With the family, I tend to play it more safe with camp site selection. Finally, take a trip ot two each year without them, it is extremely liberating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey9... awesome pictures!

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
populuxe59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware the resort camp ground. We have been to a couple because the kids like to swim. The resorts will have have seductive pools and water-parks, mini-golf, night time movies and cartoon characters. Great, the kids love it, but... It costs much more to camp and once the kids get a taste of the pool side, resort camp life style it's hard to bring them back to the wild.
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aswah - inspired by your stories and cooking too! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: